Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Smiley Gladhands
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than riding boots, what kind of shoes do you wear when riding? This summer, I have been wearing a pair of Vans skate shoes, and they have worked quite well. Just curious what you guys wear when during "casual" riding without regular riding boots.

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
This question belongs in the gear forum. Not the forum that is for things that have nothing to do with bikes.

That said, I wear a pair of Doc Marten's when I don't want to put my A* boots on.

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
All right there New post thread police :twofinger

I also wore some Doc Martin boots ankle high...worked great.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Timberlands

·
Registered
78 Posts
I wear Vasque Sundowner Hiking boots. They are made of thick/abrasion resistant leather, offer good ankle support, and are waterproof (gore-tex liner). I just tuck my laces into the top of the boot to make sure they don't get snagged on something.

So far, so good.

·
Registered
304 Posts
mrzedexsixargh said:
You've had them on in a wreck?

Dress for the fall, not the ride…
Exactly. I don't mean to use a scare tactic, but imagine this. You're riding along at a "casual" pace. In the middle of a corner, you lose traction. For whatever reason, you lowside. Not at a fast pace, maybe 40mph. As you slide towards the outside of the road with your left (or right) leg on the ground, you leave the pavement and something, anything, catches your foot. Do you know what happens when you're sliding at 40mph wearing a lowtop tennis shoe and something catches your foot? It's not pretty. I spent a year in a major trauma center, a pre-medical student as a emergency tech, and I saw too many cruiser riders with nearly amputated feet. WEAR THE BOOTS. ALL THE TIME. Tib/fib fractures are horrible.

·
Resident Gun Nut
1,092 Posts
i wear my docs since i haven't parted with the cash to buy riding boots.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Dedicated riding boots only. Nothing else will offer adequate protection.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Mykl said:
Dedicated riding boots only. Nothing else will offer adequate protection.
Exactly. How can Doc Martins provide protection? I guess relative to "sneakers" they're somewhat better. Mangled feet/ankles aren't fun at all. As was said, imagine what happens when your foot/ankle is between the peg and the street at any speed. There ain't no such thing as a "casual ride". /rant

·
Registered
646 Posts
well...i deserve a flame for this one...BUT i wear timberland boots when i ride. I am gonna buy a pair of bike boots that look like regular shoes soon. I dont like the look of the boots that look like im going to spain to earn points in the 250cc class. Its just a ride to the store. However, you should always have the proper protection. This i realize.

·
Smiley Gladhands
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
FZ6_Rider said:
I wear Vasque Sundowner Hiking boots. They are made of thick/abrasion resistant leather, offer good ankle support, and are waterproof (gore-tex liner). I just tuck my laces into the top of the boot to make sure they don't get snagged on something.

So far, so good.
That's what I wear with jeans, exactly. The Sundowners are the shit! I have a nubuck pair and the ugly red ones. They are the best boots ever! I also have a pair of Vasque Alpines, but the toe is way too thick to get under the shifter. The Alpines have the super-thick soles that you can mount crampons on.

·
Registered
87 Posts
freeride said:
Exactly. I don't mean to use a scare tactic, but imagine this. You're riding along at a "casual" pace. In the middle of a corner, you lose traction. For whatever reason, you lowside. Not at a fast pace, maybe 40mph. As you slide towards the outside of the road with your left (or right) leg on the ground, you leave the pavement and something, anything, catches your foot. Do you know what happens when you're sliding at 40mph wearing a lowtop tennis shoe and something catches your foot? It's not pretty. I spent a year in a major trauma center, a pre-medical student as a emergency tech, and I saw too many cruiser riders with nearly amputated feet. WEAR THE BOOTS. ALL THE TIME. Tib/fib fractures are horrible.
holy shit

I got my bike friday and all I have been wearing has been running shoes, I never thought of it that way

I am going to pick up some hardcore biker shoes on the weekend...hardcore squid in the house but at least in case something happens my ass will be alright

Thanks for this post! woohoo :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
everyday riding i wear adidas shell toes, sorry but they're comfy and i can wear 'em all day long. That said i do have a pair of Oxtar TCS's that i do wear when i'm actually going to ride hard. I know, its wrong.

·
Banned
730 Posts
I wear my boots or I don't ride. I'm one of those people that "things" just happen to and can't afford a "I wrecked doing 20mph and just happened to lose three toes" story.

·
Fitshaced
1,888 Posts
These worked pretty well when I crashed. The toes feel like steal toed but I don't think they are (I heard those aren't good for riding anyways). I scraped them up pretty good when I crashed a month ago but it's better then my foot. I still need some safe boots.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts