Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
The Flying Finn
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll have to input all my data from the slips in the morning, I ran 4 passes, two bad launches, two good. My uncorrected E.T.'s were:

All runs were between 135 and 136.x MPH.

I had my camera on for the all runs but the 10.9. Will upload the vids in the morning!!!! :cheers

The bottom 3 runs had 60 foot times of 2.1 seconds, my 10.7 had a 60 ft of 1.9 seconds. I think there's a tenth to be had in the launch, and probably a tenth if I shifted about 1000 rpm sooner (I waited for my shift light each time, and it doesn't come on until 13,500).

·
I'll have another IPA!
565 Posts
...and probably a tenth if I shifted about 1000 rpm sooner (I waited for my shift light each time, and it doesn't come on until 13,500).
Sounds cool, waiting for your new posts with video. BTW, did you already know that you can change the shift light parameters? When it comes on, when it goes off, flashing, etc? It's discussed in the owners and service manuals.

·
The Flying Finn
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds cool, waiting for your new posts with video. BTW, did you already know that you can change the shift light parameters? When it comes on, when it goes off, flashing, etc? It's discussed in the owners and service manuals.
I found it a lot harder to launch the R1 than the FZ6. FZ6 I just held the rpm at 7k, pinned the throttle and slipped the clutch enough to loft the front tire. It's a lot harder to do with that much more power!

Yeah, when I got the bike it was set for 7,000 rpm which was anoying me. I changed it to 13,500, but I think somewhere around 12-12.5 would be faster for the strip. :cheers

Anyway, here's the vid!

YouTube - Yamaha R1 1/4 mile drag racing - 4-July-2008

·
I'll have another IPA!
565 Posts
Hey Aaron, that last run was great! It is difficult to launch with the tall 1st gear but you really kept the revs up on the 3rd pass and it showed. Nice video!

·
Registered
655 Posts
nice video's, it sure doesn't feel like the passes take 10 seconds when you watch them

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
That had to be fun!

Doesn't look like the front tire likes being on the ground:eek:nfloor

·
Cubicle Ostrich
1,785 Posts
great vids aaron, looks like fun! i can imagine that bike is a bit more touch and go to launch than the FZ, easily brings up the front in 2nd gear!

·
Training wheels
334 Posts
definately need work on the launch (not that I don't too, just saying) it took you 5 seconds to get to 100kph on that final run... way too long

Other than that, schwoit

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
My girlfriend's cousin finished his training course over the weekend.

He said that there was someone there who had bought an R1 who had never been on a bike before (just did his written M1 test only). At the start of the course, they take away your license... the next day he had apparently ridden the bike on the highway to the course (which you are restricted from doing with the M1 license), without his license at all.

The best part was that the R1 guy failed to pass the examination at the end of the course, which was conducted on a CBR125R. The guy can't even pass a basic skills/control test on a 125 and he's riding around an R1... I expect to see him on the news soon.

·
The Flying Finn
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My girlfriend's cousin finished his training course over the weekend.

He said that there was someone there who had bought an R1 who had never been on a bike before (just did his written M1 test only). At the start of the course, they take away your license... the next day he had apparently ridden the bike on the highway to the course (which you are restricted from doing with the M1 license), without his license at all.

The best part was that the R1 guy failed to pass the examination at the end of the course, which was conducted on a CBR125R. The guy can't even pass a basic skills/control test on a 125 and he's riding around an R1... I expect to see him on the news soon.
Yet another reason I have to pay almost $2,000 a year for insurance, with no tickets and no accidents. (pending trials don't count!)...

I can't believe it's legal to sell them to newbies, but I guess it's that way with anything. I think parts of Europe have the right idea with a CC/hp limit based on your years of riding. As much as I love the R1, I'd love to get a little Aprilia 125RS and blast some mountain roads.

·
The Angry Blue Mantis!
1,849 Posts
Yet another reason I have to pay almost $2,000 a year for insurance, with no tickets and no accidents. (pending trials don't count!)...

I can't believe it's legal to sell them to newbies, but I guess it's that way with anything. I think parts of Europe have the right idea with a CC/hp limit based on your years of riding. As much as I love the R1, I'd love to get a little Aprilia 125RS and blast some mountain roads.
Really any bike over about 60 HP doesn't belong between a n00bs legs. You can get to the end of the 1/4 mile on some 600's in the times you ran on the liter. I'll keep my "slow" FZ6 (11.3 in the 1/4) and my $31.00/month insurance.

Nice vids...cool how you can see the noticable improvement near the end there.

EDIT: Why does the track look wet?

- J

·
The Flying Finn
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Really any bike over about 60 HP doesn't belong between a n00bs legs. You can get to the end of the 1/4 mile on some 600's in the times you ran on the liter. I'll keep my "slow" FZ6 (11.3 in the 1/4) and my $31.00/month insurance.

Nice vids...cool how you can see the noticable improvement near the end there.

EDIT: Why does the track look wet?

- J
I'm not sure why, but it seems like TMP is slower than other tracks. The best I could muster over 6 runs on the FZ6 was two back to back 12.054s. And for comparison purposes, most stock litre bikes run right around 11.0 flat there. It's a very slick track methinks!

I've run at TMP:

1989 Toyota MR2 Supercharged (15.6 best)
1992 Lexus SC400 (15.2 best)
2006 Yamaha FZ6 (12.054 best)
2005 Yamaha R1 (10.716 best) :banana

I thought that a 1.9 second 60 foot wasn't bad though!?! I think I'm going to have to go again to work on launches one of these days. I don't think it helped that my rear tire was 4 seasons old and probably drying out.

Nevertheless, it was fun! I was talking like I was high after the 10.7, I thought for sure it was a couple tenths faster though. It felt much faster than the 10.8.

Meh, I think next time I'm going to try the road course!!!

·
Registered
557 Posts
I agree, the strip looks positively SHINY!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts