Sport Bikes banner

Are you an Organ Donor?

• YES

Votes: 30 60.0%
  • NO

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • I've Never Looked Into It

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Other (legally to young, existing medical condition, etc).

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While getting my license last week, I filled out an updated Organ Donor form.

While I did check the boxes denying the use of my body for educational or experimentational purposes, I gave permission for EVERYTHING to be donated to others. I also specifically DENIED that any part of me be handed over to a FOR PROFIT organization.

While filling out the form I had to think of how my wife would feel if someone took my major organs (something you wouldn't notice much if I were dead) as well as my eyes and large areas of skin.
After a bit of thought, I figured she would understand and, that night, we talked about it and I explained my reasoning for the selections I made (she agreed btw).

YES to being an organ donor. If I'm no longer using any part of my body because I'm dead - someone else should be given the chance at living (or even living a better life - this is where eyes come in).

YES to every piece of me including skin. Skin grafts can save lives and also help people heal well enough to live normal lives. Given that motorcycle riders are surely high on the list of skin graft recipients, I had even more reason to say yes.

NO to a For Profit organization. If someone is dying and needs a liver, heart, lung, etc. I don't want them trying to raise extra money or fight with insurance to buy a chance at life - its mine to give not someone else's to sell.

NO to education/experimentation. There are plenty of cadavers out there already - I'd prefer to help someone (many people really) more directly.

Any thoughts? Post up.

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
My dad passed away from Lou Gherigs disease over 5yrs ago. They still use portions of his brain and muscle to help figure out a cause.

So if I knew I had a condition that was incurable then I would donate portions of my body for medical research to find a cure for that disease.

I'm still kinda on the fence about giving up organs at will though. I know it may sound hypocritical but it's something I haven't been able to make a decision on.

So right now I'm listed as NO to being a donor.

·
Old school fool
5,720 Posts
There was a furor in Washington state a few years ago about prisoners receiving free medical care and donated organs. I think they actually gave a murderer who was in prison for life without parole a new liver. Prior to that I was an organ donor, but had my name removed from the list. Now, if they want a part of me, they can bite me.

And I'm sorry to hear about your dad Rascus, mine has been gone for 10 years now and I still think about him a lot.

·
Registered
944 Posts
tmkreutzer said:
There was a furror in Washington state a few years ago about prisoners receiving free medical care and donated organs. I think they actually gave a murderer who was in prison for life without parole a new liver. Prior to that I was an organ donor, but had my name removed from the list. Now, if they want a part of me, they can bite me.
+1 This is pricisely why i'm not an organ donor.

·
pick your poison
2,972 Posts
I am. No good to me when I'm gone. They can give my balls to Charles Manson, I wont
care.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
No, not right now. I'm a little timid; I heard a story that if EMTs found you after some serious bodily trauma and your life was on the fence, they would let you slip away in the interest of harvesting your organs. Sounds brutal I know, but I would like to know that if something should happen I have some support from medical staff... probably just an urban legend.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have been one for the last 8-9 years, might as well let them be of use to someone else if I am not around to use them.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I wouldn't be alive today if it weren't for blood donors. I'm set to donate every organ I have.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Sure, If I can help someone else out, why not. I'm not going need anything once I'm gone.

·
Registered
62 Posts
mikem317 said:
No, not right now. I'm a little timid; I heard a story that if EMTs found you after some serious bodily trauma and your life was on the fence, they would let you slip away in the interest of harvesting your organs. Sounds brutal I know, but I would like to know that if something should happen I have some support from medical staff... probably just an urban legend.
I'm not a donor for that same reason. It's probably an urban legend, but just makes me uneasy enough to not fill out the card.

·
Registered
806 Posts
The whole thing of EMS personnel possibly letting you slip away because you're a doner is false. I'm a paramedic in a busy inner city service. If someone is dead/dieing on a scene I am there to do what I can do to help them. I don't waste a lot of time looking for a license to see if they are or are not a donor. Those are valuable seconds when I can be doing something beneficial to the patient that may keep them alive. It would be hard for me to explain why I delayed establishing a secure airway because I was busy looking for the license to see if I should work them based on if they are a donor or not. That is time that I can't get back. The only times that I will not work someone that's in full cardiac arrest is if they have a state issued Do Not Resuscitate order that prevents me from working them, or they have what is deemed as "injuries incompatible with life." Otherwise, they get the whole show and my very best efforts.
Shane

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
I was at the licensing place ( called a tag agency in Oklahoma ), and the young lady asked if I wanted to be an organ donor. So, I asked her if she was and she replied that she was, so I says, sign me up baby!!!...well, maybe not the baby part. She seemed rather shocked at my response.

With such a high count in organ donors in this survey alone, I wonder why the general public despises us???

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
Absolutely- why not help someone out if we can no longer be helped ourselves.

·
Official E-Thug
1,689 Posts
never really thought about it before... thanks for making me think... ill decide one of these days.....

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
donor here. I'll be done with them... HOWEVER.. the first post said "NO to any FOR PROFIT organization...".. Isnt EVERY organ donation a profit maker for the hospital? Thats why it is illegal to sell your own organs, because the health industry made damn sure you couldnt cut into their profits... They gets the organs for free, then charge you $1 MILLION or more to install it... Organ transplants are a HUGE money maker for hospitals.. I am a donor, but I'm hoping I live long enough until its legal to sell someone my Kidney, and retire on an island.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Punkwood2k said:
donor here. I'll be done with them... HOWEVER.. the first post said "NO to any FOR PROFIT organization...".. Isnt EVERY organ donation a profit maker for the hospital? Thats why it is illegal to sell your own organs, because the health industry made damn sure you couldnt cut into their profits... They gets the organs for free, then charge you $1 MILLION or more to install it... Organ transplants are a HUGE money maker for hospitals.. I am a donor, but I'm hoping I live long enough until its legal to sell someone my Kidney, and retire on an island.

The form I filled out indicated that there are some organizations who make a profit getting the organs from me to the hospital. The hospital and doctors will make money doing the transplant but I don't want some other group making money off it too. Especially when my organs don't have to pass through their hands at all.
A patient and their health care provider are gonna be paying a bill but it doesn't need to be higher because someone else is taking a slice of the pie (Kidney pie in this case).

Hospitals also can't refuse service for lack of ability to pay. I'm not so sure about a third party corporation selling the organs.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I am, and always will be. I feel if i have no chance of making it or am found dead on my the road somewhere why not help someone else out who could use them.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts