Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to trade my 2000 CBR600 F4 with 12,000 miles for a 2000 GSXR 600 with 5,000 miles. The gixxer is race prepped with a Penske rear shock (not sure which model), sharkskinz, full D&D system, rear sets, clip-ons, etc. The gixxer has a non-rebuildable title which doesn’t matter much considering I don’t street ride anymore. I’ve been riding my F4 at the track for the last year or so. I’ve never been on a gixxer at the track or on the street for that matter. Do you think it would be that big of a difference and worth my while to make the trade?

Thanks

·
Registered
912 Posts
I would never buy somebody elses track bike

·
Registered
646 Posts
robbieace said:
Im not the one who started this post, but robbie, with an answer like that I have to ask WHY? Im curious what your answer is.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Looks like a fair trade. The gsxr is set-up as a track tool, which is what you want. From looking at your avatar it seems you ride at jennings. Alot of people there wouldn't mind letting you ride their bike for a session. Ride one first and see if you like it or hate it. I would probably make the switch as long as everything is straight on the bike being that it is a salvage...

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'd do that trade, if it's straight-up. That GSXR is going to be a better track bike than the F4, head to head, and with those mods, even better. I'd trade, given that you ride the GSXR and find no problems.

robbieace said:
I'm guessing you don't own a trackbike. They're very expensive to set up for yourself from stock, and extremely cheap to buy already built a season or two old. Unless you're EXTREMELY serious, in the running for AMA time or a real factory ride, building a new trackbike is a large waste of money.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just went and looked at the bike and it's definitely a used race bike. It's been down a few times. The current owner claims GMD has straightened everything but who knows. The tach and speedo are both shattered and the bodywork is loose and rashed on both sides. He started it and it sounds and runs fine but something just doesn’t feel right about it. I'm going to hang on to the F4 and wait for a better deal. Thanks for the input fellas.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Tiamat said:
and that's why you don't want other people's track bikes...
Isolated case.....either way, I wouldn't have traded for it.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Tiamat said:
and that's why you don't want other people's track bikes...
If for some reason I were to sell my track bike, I would CHALLENGE you or anyone else to find something wrong with it, some racers (like myself) are VERY picky about how their track bikes run and demand it be in top shape at all times, all those other people are just dipshits.

·
Registered
151 Posts
How's this, where are the turn signal's and mirrors? Why do you have a hole in your drain plug?

Ok that was kind of asinine, but commen sense tells me that not all track bike are junk, it would all depend on the previous owner. Again common sense tells me that a quality track bike is prefered over a new one while your still learning, just in case you drop it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well patience paid off this time. I found a 2003 GSXR600 Alstare edition with 2700 miles, full Hindle exhaust, BMC filter, GPR Damper, steel braided lines, Traxxion Dynamics reworked front forks and Hotbodies bodywork. I’m so glad I didn’t settle for the 2000 gixxer. Now I just need to get out to the track.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Track bikes get used and abused way too much. You never know what you are getting into.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts