Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
All red all the time...
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of picking up a Z1000 in the near future...so I can use the R6 for track only purposes.
As far as looks goes, I'm totally hooked on it. But I want to know what you owners think about it. I've sat on one at the dealership, and whilst it's definitely seem more upright than my R6, it still doesn't give me any idea on how well it performs or how comfortable it might be.
I'm 99% sure I'll get one (04 red, if I can find one), but I still would like to know what I'm getting into.
Thanks in advance.

(oh...and if you'd like to post pics of your ride while you're at it, there's no stopping you. :D)

·
Registered
619 Posts
I have no complaint whatsover on my RED Z1000. It's a diff looking bike and you'll definetly join a rare breed. I hit 140+ the pother day against a Chrysler with a Hemi that should ease you worries about performance. The upright sitting position is what ever sports bike guy wishes they had most of the time so that should ease you comfort worries. The best part is the cost for the bike. You'll get your monies worth
by the way this is an 04

·
All red all the time...
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
taino said:
I have no complaint whatsover on my RED Z1000. It's a diff looking bike and you'll definetly join a rare breed. I hit 140+ the pother day against a Chrysler with a Hemi that should ease you worries about performance. The upright sitting position is what ever sports bike guy wishes they had most of the time so that should ease you comfort worries. The best part is the cost for the bike. You'll get your monies worth
You just had to capitalize it, didn't you? :D
Thanks for the feedback bro....

·
Registered
619 Posts
LOL, If I worked a Kawi dealership I'd be selling you a shiney new red Z right now. Seriously, I'm very happy with my Z

·
Hooligan Extraordinaire
195 Posts
No complaints about mine. However, the clutch lever is buzzy around 4-6k RPMs. The stock seat is angled downward such that your nads will go a cling-clanging on the gas tank if you're vertically-challenged because you'll be leaned over somewhat and every bump in the road nudges you forward (ask me how I know...the Corbin seat has become my best friend). However, my wrists no longer get numb commuting to work like they did on my 2005 636. Definitely gets more looks than the cookie-cutter rice rockets with full-fairing.

To top it off, you'll probably get a sweet deal on a litre bike because the American market just hasn't seemed to embrace the naked/streetfighter style bike (not yet, at least).

·
All red all the time...
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input...

Finally found a nice red 04 that's within driving distance (7 hours :D).
Now, if I could just sell my car.......

·
It's me
3,066 Posts
Kawa-jockey is pretty much right on. Thebars are buzzy (Taino has the Renthal ultra-lows that he says reduces that). Since you like to race I would highly recommend Pazzo or CRG levers, they'll take a lot of the buzzy noise away. I ordered the corbin seat before I even paid for the bike. Best investment ever. I would also recommend ditching the stock exhaust, each side is 37 lbs from what I hear.

Performance:

I've seen 167 on my speedo, it will pull the front end up through first and second and occasionally third on power alone. The bike handles great, some people swap the rear tire for a 180 and rave about the way it handles. I personally didn't like it, it would slide around a lot on me. I switched back to a 190 and haven't had as much of a problem. I could almost keep up with the fast guys on rides if it wasn't for the wind on my chest or my smallish balls. I'm getting faster on her though.

I'll post pics in a second.

BTW blue is the fastest color.

Ron

·
It's me
3,066 Posts

She has over 18,000 on her now

·
It's me
3,066 Posts
With the touring set up

·
It's me
3,066 Posts
Oh yeah, I have the CRG bar end mirrors

·
It's me
3,066 Posts

ok, that's about it

Ron

·
Evil Wicked Mean & Nasty
1,187 Posts
I have an '03 in the "Faster-Than-Blue" color of black. I don't ride it as much since I got the Firebolt, but I think I may swap them next week. I have room for one bike at the house, the other stays at the storage unit.
Plan on putting some decent tires on it ( Pilot Powers, etc. ) and enjoy the ride. Mine has SM bars on it, so the position is like a high clip on. Some of the guys have had good luck with filling the bars with lead shot to kill the bar vibe, I have Pro-Grips on mine with a throttlemeister bar end and really don't have a problem. With some e-bay 636 parts and some tuning they make a pretty decent track day bike as well. Track Day Thread

·
Registered
619 Posts
Dang Ron, your ride is sweet, great pictures.I have to get busy and snap some of my ride. Do something about that exhaust :neener

1 - 20 of 28 Posts