Sport Bikes banner

Opinions on SV650

2K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  ASCI_Blue 
#1 ·
After considering financing a bike, I've decided to hold off until now, and following this Friday's paycheck, I'll be able to purchase one in cash. I intend on taking the MSF prior to riding, buying gear, etc....but I am currently looking for a bike. There are a couple of SV650's available locally that I'm very interested in, and I would appreciate any feedback I can get from people out there. By the way, I have read the "Used Motorcycle Evaluation Guide" that is often posted up on the boards.

2002 Black SV650, 13k, $3650
http://boston.craigslist.org/mcy/77480637.html

2001 Red SV650, 15.5k, $3500/obo
http://boston.craigslist.org/mcy/78688375.html

The 2002 says that it has a national fairing, and I haven't been able to find any information as to what exactly that would be? Thanks for any advice/feedback.

#2 ·
The SV650 is a great bike. It's got loads of grunt and a blast to ride. They are very reliable and the twin is easy to work on. Plus there are tons of aftermarket parts.

Personally, I would go for the standard bike over the 650S. Also, the S has taller gearing. Which isn't a real issue; depending on what type of riding you'll be doing.

Hope this helped.

BS

#4 ·
bahhhh i wish im in boston right now.... you know how long ive been looking for a sv650 with that price ur showing? lol.... damn CA ppl asking 4500+ for them :(

#5 ·
SV's a great bikes, but marginal beginner bikes.......

for a new rider
great chasis
good brakes
the problem is that it generates more torque down low then a 600SS bike and alot more torque the say a ex500. and a slip of the throttle and your not in a good place.

#6 ·
Mr. Nate.

You sent me a PM, but your inbox is full man. So here is my reply.

"Well let me start by saying, welcome to Georgia and UGA is an awsome school. I plan to attend in 2 years. Now about bikes, IWANTA is a great place to look and in any local gas station up there, a magazine called Cycle Trader should be available. Great ads, pictures, all local, so you can go check them out. Now I took the MSF on Ft. Gordon, and that is the only one I actually have experience with and have heard anything about. Usually regardless of where you travel, all of the MSF courses will be great because they all cover the same material. Just hope for a good instructor. hopefully you enjoy these hot as balls summers we have, and if you have any more questions, let me know.

Good luck on your bike search man. :cheers"

#8 ·
I have a friend with an SV 650, rides the dogshit out of it. Badass bike.

#10 ·
clearwaterms said:
dude I want to live in GA right now, I wish my SV were worth that. mine only has 7500 miles, upgraded suspension, slipon, jetted, brand new tires, 7500 miles, I would be lucky to get $3300 for it.
that's a fair price a lil high IMO. but realize it was only like $5k, NEW. any other bike would be worth alot less. and 600ss bike that you paid $9k for would prolly be only worth 4-5K, 50%, whereas the SV has great resale % wise. don't forget it's already a 6 y.o. bike, it was prolly orig. sold in '99

#12 ·
there is quite a following for those bikes.......mostly for track riders/racers.....thats why the value is so high for them........

even though your bike is only 1 yr old, it's on par mileage wise w/ alot of bikes of that same yr........most people don't ride alot.

#15 ·
RACER X said:
there is quite a following for those bikes.......mostly for track riders/racers.....thats why the value is so high for them........

even though your bike is only 1 yr old, it's on par mileage wise w/ alot of bikes of that same yr........most people don't ride alot.

do you have any idea why people like them for the track over a SS bike?

#16 ·
The SV-650 is relativly cheap comming in under 6 grand new compared to a new SS which generally start well over 7.

#17 ·
Get it! Either of them. I have an '02 SV650 naked. Bought it this April for $3900, only 3300 miles on it. In PERFECT condition. I knew it was the bike for me because the entire thing was stock, with the exception of a Targa fairing which was quickly removed. It was important to know that a good bike hadn't been tampered with. As a new rider, I wouldn't want to feel the effects of someone's else's tinkering before getting down the basics. The SV650 is great for one main reason:

It's not so powerful that it will bite you hard if you screw up, but it's powerful enough that you won't get bored with it after one summer.

To answer a previous question - it's a great track bike because a lot of tracks (or at least those I've heard of) don't get up to 120 mph+ speeds. Because of the low-end torque, you've got an advantage in the turns over the litre bikes.

I'm still learning and I love my SV! I've put about 1,000 miles on it.

#18 ·
sexyicecold said:
Get it! Either of them. I have an '02 SV650 naked. Bought it this April for $3900, only 3300 miles on it. In PERFECT condition. I knew it was the bike for me because the entire thing was stock, with the exception of a Targa fairing which was quickly removed. It was important to know that a good bike hadn't been tampered with. As a new rider, I wouldn't want to feel the effects of someone's else's tinkering before getting down the basics. The SV650 is great for one main reason:

It's not so powerful that it will bite you hard if you screw up, but it's powerful enough that you won't get bored with it after one summer.

To answer a previous question - it's a great track bike because a lot of tracks (or at least those I've heard of) don't get up to 120 mph+ speeds. Because of the low-end torque, you've got an advantage in the turns over the litre bikes.

I'm still learning and I love my SV! I've put about 1,000 miles on it.
not a liter bike, but a 600 maybe. The biggest problem is that a sv650 first gen makes about 65ish hp to the tire in stock form, a newer SS is making ~100 with some as high as 110 (zx636) they might not have the v-twin punch, but they have enough hp to surely make up for it. That being said for a first bike, unless you are TOTALLY ham fisted, I think this bike is fine.

#19 ·
Ca$h said:
Mr. Nate.

You sent me a PM, but your inbox is full man. So here is my reply.

"Well let me start by saying, welcome to Georgia and UGA is an awsome school. I plan to attend in 2 years. Now about bikes, IWANTA is a great place to look and in any local gas station up there, a magazine called Cycle Trader should be available. Great ads, pictures, all local, so you can go check them out. Now I took the MSF on Ft. Gordon, and that is the only one I actually have experience with and have heard anything about. Usually regardless of where you travel, all of the MSF courses will be great because they all cover the same material. Just hope for a good instructor. hopefully you enjoy these hot as balls summers we have, and if you have any more questions, let me know.

Good luck on your bike search man. :cheers"
Thanks Ca$h, appreciate it. I didn't realize my inbox was full...I only have 3 messages total? But anyways, your info will make it that much easier for me to locate a bike quickly...and I just got another bit of good news...my roommate has a truck, should make picking it up that much easier :cheers

#20 ·
The inbox thing is totally fucked up, I've got two messages and mine is 'full' too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.