Sport Bikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As much as I enjoy riding my gsx-r750 I'd really like to be able to do some long distance trips and maybe some weekend camping trips on the bike and that's just not going to happen with this bike. I've been looking at the new concours 14 and it seems like it would fit the bill for me perfectly. It has an absolute crapload of power, hard luggage, shaft drive, ABS, electronically adjustable windscreen, tire pressure sensors, etc... Seems like it would suit my needs very well. The only other bikes I've really been considering are the FJR1300 and ST1300. Any reason why one of those two would be worth considering over the Concours? Seems like the kawi has them beat in almost every aspect, including price. I will be keeping the 750, just want something a bit more practical for longer rides. I had been looking at cruisers, but they really didn't feel all that comfortable to me so I figure I might as well stick with the sport tourers and retain some of the performance I'm used to with my current bike.

·
Registered
10,734 Posts
The new Connie should be a great bike. I think it'll likely really come down to personal preference. All three bikes fall on different points on the sport-touring spectrum. The only thing that might cause a little hesitation would be the possibility of year one bugs/issues, but honestly I couldn't see that swaying my decision. I definately think you need to sit on all three and take them around the block to help you make some final decisions.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At 6'7" ergonomics will definitely be an issue for me. So far the only one I've had a chance to sit on was the yamaha. Definiteley a sharp looking bike and feels like a lazy boy compared to the gixxer.

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
The one single owner review I read on it wasn't good. The guy said the ergo's weren't all that great, the wind protection wasn't great, and some other things. Said he wished he'd got something else iirc.

If I can find the review, I'll post it up.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the reviews guys. Even though I have the honda on my list my main two choices after considering appearance, specs, and price are the FJR and Concourse. They're both good looking bikes and offer quite a few features. The concourse obviously has a bit more power and a few extra little features, but it'll basically come down to whichever one feels more comfortable to me.

I did almost 200 miles the other day on my gixxer and by the end of the day I would have sold my soul for a nice sport tourer!

·
I buy cars
130 Posts
I test rode the C14 at Kawasaki Demo Days. If I was in the market for a sport-tourer, that'd be the one. The features you mentioned were great, plus the hard luggage comes off super easy to take your stuff with you. It has a proximity key anti-theft thingy that's pretty neat.

I, at 6ft even, felt very comfortable on the bike. The grips are on like 6" risers, very upright riding position. Even with it's size, it was very slight on it's feet and easy to manuver. My one complaint was that the throttle wasn't as smooth as I'd expect going on/off.

For the price, I don't see how it could be beat.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I made a new friend at Moto GP who had just gotten a new Connie the Tuesday before. He's a real iron butt that leads motorcycle tours for a living and puts tons of miles in. He didn't have that many miles on it yet but he seemed pretty happy with it. In fact any time he said something about it he grinned from ear to ear.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Has anyone come across a 1/4 mile time for the C14? Don't plan on racing it obviously, but I'm curious how it compares to my 750 in a straight line. I would imagine it's pretty close.

·
Shitbike
9,822 Posts
I wanted to ride the demo when I was at Carlisle, but I didn't get to the tent soon enough. :(

They do look pretty good, and I imagine it would be better suited to my riding style than my Kat.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Tough decision between the C14 and the FJR; they are very similar bikes.

The FJR is 33 pounds lighter, has a whole gallon more fuel capacity, and from the annecdotal evidence I've heard gets slightly better mileage. So you'll have a substantially longer range on the FJR. The FJR also has a proper dual exhaust and not a goddamn Electrolux vacuum cleaner hanging off one side.

The taillight treatment of the FJR is also much more attractive IMO. With the C14, it looks kinda like somebody said, "Oh crap! We forgot the brakelight and full production starts tomorrow! Stick one on there somewhere!"

My wife has an '04 FJR abs; it's very fine bike. I haven't ridden a C14 yet but if I had to chose between the two today, I'd probably go with the FJR (this from a ZX-14 owner).

One thing bothers me about these though: IMO, they actually have a bit too much wind protection. With the windscreen up, you get buffetting and a low-pressure area that gently sucks your head down towards the gas tank. With the windscreen down both the buffetting and the negative pressure goes away, but there is a ton of wind noise. I actually prefer the smooth, totally buffet-free, quieter wind that comes off the front of my ZZR.

·
Registered
8 Posts
re c14

at 6' 7" a adventure style bike would deserve a good look the ergos will be far more freindly for all day riding . go test ride a 1200gs or ktm both bikes offer excellent ergos ,and tons of luggage choices. a competent rider will embarass many in the twisties the bikes are relatively light weight with good hp ratio compared to the boat anchors your looking at

·
Super Moderator
4,658 Posts
My buddy bought one. He loved it so much he went a bought a ZX-14 a week later. Nice to have money.

·
sacrilicious
752 Posts
I really like the new concourse. I liked the old one, though. There was a guy in St. Louis that ran the track day's for Gateway that took his out on the track and would really tear around. They asked him to stop because it was too frustrating for the sport bike riders to be passed by that bike, scraping the saddlebags through turns.

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
My opinion is this bike looks bad ass and I want one! Saying that makes me feel like I'm really starting to get old. :D

·
I can pass this guy...
8,167 Posts
I would of to save. It does look better in person then in the photos. The thing I really don’t like about it is the bags. Theses weird lines on them... Don't see what thats all about.

They have an awesome warranty.

Three year unlimited miles...
Or for $500 more

6 years unlimited miles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts