Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I don't know much about these bikes but there are a couple for sale around here locally. I kind of like the retro/naked styling and the prices are all reasonable.

Anybody with experience riding or owning one that cares to share an opinion? Any common problem areas to look for?

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
I've never ridden one, but always wanted one. they are heavy and I cannot imagine that they'd tear up a track in bone stock form, however, as a street bike I am sure one would be more than adequate and fun.

Helps that they seem dirt cheap as well.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I use to own a zrx1200r. A beast of a motor, maybe not what you want to hear but it was just too heavy and big to be fun. Push that thing around a garage was &^%$.
I don't do bikes heavier than what I have ever again.
The motor has torque breathing from every pore. I would say it does not thrill just gets you there.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
by fairly heavy, we mean that it's about 550 pounds.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I hadn't really considered the weight. The big engine and styling kinda caught my fancy, especially at reasonable prices. Guess I'll have to go see one in person.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
All things considered it is not that heavy, especially for it's intended purposes. No, it is not sportbike light, but it isn't a sportbike. It was designed in the 90's and didn't change much.

It is a great streetbike, and the motor has lots of power in the lot to mid-range. Could be a hooligan machine, or a naked sport-tourer. Ergos are comfortable if you are used to the puppy dog posture. I have only ridden one twice, for a total of about 30-45 minutes. It was comfortable, and much more torquey than the 919 I owned at the time. If I was looking for a naked standard, and I could stand the look, then it would be a strong contender. I certainly do understand the appeal and it has a loyal, rabid following.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
They're excellent do-it-all bikes with plenty of room for mods/fiddling to tailor it to your needs and wants. It can also easily shed a lot of weight (it uses big, heavy steel pipes, catalyzer, and baffled muffler) with minimal effort and expense. With the right jetting and pipe they easily produce 135hp/90tq in linear fashion.

·
Swollen Member
745 Posts
Try zrxoa.com...

Most bikes will have been owned by over-35 people. A ZRX group ride I went on a couple years ago I was the youngest there by 10 years at least, and I was 34.

Uses ZX-11 motor, you can change cams and a couple things if you're excited about that kind of thing.

Heavy enough that this will be the heaviest non-touring bike I will ever own. I've thought about downsizing from time to time, but I will never sell mine.

Forks could use work if they're stock and/or you're over 180lbs.

Carburated. Mods for exhaust/jets/pods still available.

If you can stand the weight, there is nothing like it, in my opinion. I'd like to assess mine along with a new retro Honda, but until then... I'll continue to ride it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts