Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding for a while now( maybe 7 years).

Started motor cross at 14, when I was 16 I got a honda shadow, at 18, a zx6, and last year a Harley street bob and yzf600r.

I've rode several of my buddy's liter bikes and feel pretty comfortable on them, but not sure if its a good idea yet. I'm looking at a zx12r or zx9r.
I don't want to go with some super sport cause I still like a few creature comforts. So my question is, with my medium experience would a 9 or 12 be too much for now? And granted 7 years sounds more than it is since I live in Washington

·
Registered
971 Posts
How many miles have you put on the yzf?

Also, have you checked what your insurance will be? At 21 the insurance companies might price you out of the market...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I put about 6 k miles on the zx6, 2k on the yzf, and another 2 on the street bob.

I've rode in plenty of bad weather cause it'll go from sunshine to crap in 20 minutes. And insurance isn't a problem, it's only an additionl 20-30 a month for me.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Then I tend to agree with F4s. If you've got 10k under your belt, 4 of which are in the last year, and you've done a fair amount of riding in different weather conditions, traffic environments, etc., you'll probably be fine with anything.

I like the old zx9r myself. Never ridden one, but always wanted one. I remember reading about them in 98 and they got great reviews for that redesign in terms of being comfortable for all day riding, but light and agile for a liter bike.

As for the 12r, I'd say go with a Hayabusa if you want a Hyperbike of that generation. I think you'll find more aftermarket support because of the bike's popularity, and I know my second gen Hayabusa is a fantastic machine. First gen is as well from what I've read and heard.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would prefer to get a first gen hayabusa, but they're a bit out of my price range at the moment. The cheapest one I could find was 5k. And I believe that one had nearly 40k miles. Where I've found several zx9's and 12's under 5k between 10-20k miles. And I know the b***** bikes can handle the mileage but it still leaves some openness that it had been romped on at some point.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
I would prefer to get a first gen hayabusa, but they're a bit out of my price range at the moment. The cheapest one I could find was 5k. And I believe that one had nearly 40k miles. Where I've found several zx9's and 12's under 5k between 10-20k miles. And I know the b***** bikes can handle the mileage but it still leaves some openness that it had been romped on at some point.
Too heavy...its not a liter bike in that sense. Its a sport tourer.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I know it's not technically a liter bike, but I was leaning towards a sport tourer, but with a 1000+

·
Registered
848 Posts
i would have to ask, what's your reasoning for moving up? just curious. have you reached the limits of the 600? if that's your thought, think again. if moving up just to move up because it's got more power, well, have fun. just be ready for a bike that can/will bite you in the ass if you get slack.

from a sport tourer perspective....
i had a 02 Busa and 02 VFR800. if you want comfort and smooth, get the VFR. if you want POWAH and fat pigishness, then get the Busa. If you are interested in the ZX9R or 12, get em. good solid bike with a nice bump in power compared to the 600.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes I've topped out both 600's and my goal is to eventually get recorded over 200. So I want to get comfortable with a bike that can get me closer to that point, or to that point. And a 9 will get me close a first year 12 could get me there with reasonable modifications.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I want to get there at some point, with a little comfort. Maybe some of the lanzar speakers on a busa haha, and heated grips

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I don't really know jack shit about liter bikes or hypersports so I'm not even going to try to offer advice. Best of luck with your choice!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
228 Posts
2000s model zx9r. Bulletproof bikes. Built basically all off the zx6r(zzr600) platform. I just bought one to flip for a dime and a dance. I'd reccomend this for a close to liter bike. It still feels like a 600(ish)

·
Registered
272 Posts
I got my 954 after only 2 years of riding....and guess what? I'm alive. I think the real question you need to ask yourself is...."Do I ride like a tool?" If the answer to that question is yes, then I have low expectations for you on a litre bike.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
I got my 954 after only 2 years of riding....and guess what? I'm alive. I think the real question you need to ask yourself is...."Do I ride like a tool?" If the answer to that question is yes, then I have low expectations for you on a bike.
fixed.

Unless you're going +100mph, a liter just means you shift less than a 600.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts