Sport Bikes banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to know everyone's opinions on buying leather, mesh, textile etc. jackets that are a few years old off ebay or just wherever? I just bought a mesh style joe rocket jacket that i know is a couple years old off ebay and it seems to be fine. I just wasnt sure about the padding holding up over the years on these types of jackets. I dont know if these are the same way as helmets and dont hold up as well with time. I just bought a newer bike and cant really afford 300-400 dollar leather jackets.

·
Registered
211 Posts
CE armor is suppose to be good for one impact, so they may need replacement if the jacket's been down. Dual density has a self life, not sure how long; they're cheapest to replace. GP armor doesn't need replacement unless it's cracked/damaged (correct me if I'm wrong). There's a lot of good leather jackets for much less than $300. Check out:

http://newenough.com/browse/closeouts/leather_suits_jackets_and_pants
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produ...=Outlet&np=&savings=&mmyId=&formSort=priceasc

·
Registered
235 Posts
dustin-954RR said:
I just wanted to know everyone's opinions on buying leather, mesh, textile etc. jackets that are a few years old off ebay or just wherever? I just bought a mesh style joe rocket jacket that i know is a couple years old off ebay and it seems to be fine. I just wasnt sure about the padding holding up over the years on these types of jackets. I dont know if these are the same way as helmets and dont hold up as well with time. I just bought a newer bike and cant really afford 300-400 dollar leather jackets.
Check out www.motorcycleleatherexchange.com you can find high end closeouts and gently used jackets from the best (VAnson, Dianese).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys, so what do you all think about buying older jackets from a couple years ago...if it hasnt been down then should parts like the padding still be in the same shape as they were new?

·
old member
13,079 Posts
dustin-954RR said:
thanks guys, so what do you all think about buying older jackets from a couple years ago...if it hasnt been down then should parts like the padding still be in the same shape as they were new?
The problem with buying used gear from a random seller is you don't know its history. Has it been down? Is it safe? If it's somehow unused and 2 years old, no problem.

Think about less bike and more gear. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RayOSV said:
Think about less bike and more gear. :)
thanks, but too late now :banana

---probably going to either get an alpinestars stunt leather jacket or joe rocket blaster jacket used off ebay anyway. Thanks fellas

·
Gap runner
800 Posts
dustin-954RR said:

I think that if your budget does not allow you to buy new, then buy whatever the hell you can afford! Old gear is better than no gear!

·
5,455 Posts
+1 any gear is definitely better than none.
BUT i agree with Ray as you should have considered the cost of gear before buying a liter bike. the difference in insurance alone between a 600 and a 1000 could buy you some nice gear.

props on trying to get gear, unlike all the squids around me

1 - 9 of 9 Posts