Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Just another n00b
Joined
·
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into buying a used one for my first bike, but I dont know of any other 250cc out there. I don't know much about the sport, but I have been on dirtbikes before. I am still a n00bie and I don't care for a bike any b***** than a 250.

Pros and cons about a used Ninja 250? Anything else that might be better for me?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
623 Posts
Keyboard Ninja said:
I'm looking into buying a used one for my first bike, but I dont know of any other 250cc out there. I don't know much about the sport, but I have been on dirtbikes before. I am still a n00bie and I don't care for a bike any b***** than a 250.

Pros and cons about a used Ninja 250? Anything else that might be better for me?
Fantasic machine. You will really enjoy it and are making the right choice. The only thing you might have to get used to is revving the motorcycle higher than you might be used to in order to get it to really move.
 

·
what R you lookin' at?
Joined
·
5,313 Posts
great machine for learing to ride. don't forget to get training. www.msf-usa.org

btw, i teach m/c classes at spring branch I.S.D. 713-365-5660, $180 for the weekend. and you get 1/2 your license if you pass.
 

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
Joined
·
5,894 Posts
Excelent machine. By far the most advanced 250 and the fastest of the 4 stroke 250s. Mid 14s 1/4 mile, so it can keep up with almost any car out there and haves a top speed of 100mph.

Often overlooked by posers wanting a big bike, but a good rider on a 250 can put into shame a bad rider on a 600! Don't focus on the engine size between your legs, focus on riding it to its 100%.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
I couldn't have said it better than the two gentlmen above had said except check out this website thoroughly its a goody!


Ninja250.net


Chris
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
730 Posts
Another good thing about them, you treat it right and you can get up to 90-100% of your money back when time to sell. Nice to start off the new board w/ someone asking the RIGHT question for a change. /two thumbs up
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
Süsser Tod said:
Excelent machine. By far the most advanced 250 and the fastest of the 4 stroke 250s.
For reasons not to be discussed.....I'll just say this is a FALSE statement.

Good choice on a first bike. Good to know some people have a BRAIN in their head.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,553 Posts
The 250 is a great starter bike......and it'll scoot if you're not looking for anything b*****. Personally though I'd start a tad larger....that's why I got the 500. My car is already substantially faster than a 250...so I wanted a bike that could at least beat my car. :D

But to each his own. Either way, the 250 is a great bike....even if the styling and gauge setup is very outdated.
 

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
Joined
·
5,894 Posts
taziscool said:
For reasons not to be discussed.....I'll just say this is a FALSE statement.

Good choice on a first bike. Good to know some people have a BRAIN in their head.
I know there are better 4 stroke 250s in Japan and there have been many great 250s in the past, but tell me about a better 4 stroke 250 in the US market right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,767 Posts
like many of the others have said it is a great starter bike, and getting a used one to start off w/is not a bad idea also.
Good Luck
 

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
Joined
·
5,894 Posts
OK, I think I've found what could be the best 250 4 stroke bikes!

Honda VTR 250
34HP
2 Cylinder

Suzuki GSXR250/Kawasaki Balius II

40HP
4 Cylinder !!! :eek:

I think the Honda would be a better all around bike, I would expect a more linear power band than in the Suzuki/Kawasaki.

The interesting part is that Yamaha doesnt' have any sport/standard 250, just some custom 250s...

I really wish those bikes would be brought to this side of the ocean!
 

Attachments

·
Just another n00b
Joined
·
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quik said:
i have experience a 250 vtr. not a bad bike but looks are as good as a ninja and i perfer hondas
Well I'm still looking at bikes, and I've noticed that the Honda Rebel 250 has great reviews for a starter bike as well. They look like 2 totally different bikes, but I'm just interested in something cheap and reliable. I would have thought more people would ask this question, but every forum I go to everyone wants to kill themselves on a 750 or 1 liter.

When looking for a 250cc bike, are they all pretty similar? Or should I just pick whatever is cheapest and not beat up? Anything is faster than my 2001 Toyota Tacoma DoubleCab.

Racer X, I tried to put your name down as a referral on this site, but it wasn't accepting your user name. I got your referall from www.houston-imports.com
 

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
Joined
·
5,894 Posts
Keyboard Ninja said:
Well I'm still looking at bikes, and I've noticed that the Honda Rebel 250 has great reviews for a starter bike as well. They look like 2 totally different bikes, but I'm just interested in something cheap and reliable. I would have thought more people would ask this question, but every forum I go to everyone wants to kill themselves on a 750 or 1 liter.

When looking for a 250cc bike, are they all pretty similar? Or should I just pick whatever is cheapest and not beat up? Anything is faster than my 2001 Toyota Tacoma DoubleCab.

Racer X, I tried to put your name down as a referral on this site, but it wasn't accepting your user name. I got your referall from www.houston-imports.com
From what is available in the US, the last one on my list would be the Rebel 250. Sure, it is a pretty good beginer bike, but if you think you're going to outgrow a Ninja 250 the Rebel won't even let you get started by the time you've outgrown it.
The Rebel does have a hard time making 60mph and will do 70mph on a good day with tail wind.

If you are looking for a 250 cruiser the Marauder 250 and the Virago 250 are the best ones, but the downside to the Virago is that it is the most expensive 250 cruiser and the Marauder is a little bit faster.


But if you want to go with a sportbike after your newbie bike, then get a Nighthawk 250 or the Ninja 250, they are more like a sportbike than a cruiser and will prepare you better for a sportbike. I don't advise older 250s to newbies as they may have their own age issues and those two you can get them relatively new at good prices. The Nighthawk is bulletproof, not very fast, 70mph usually but extremely cheap to own, even better gas mileage than the Ninja but nothing more.
 

·
Just another n00b
Joined
·
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Süsser Tod said:
From what is available in the US, the last one on my list would be the Rebel 250. Sure, it is a pretty good beginer bike, but if you think you're going to outgrow a Ninja 250 the Rebel won't even let you get started by the time you've outgrown it.
The Rebel does have a hard time making 60mph and will do 70mph on a good day with tail wind.

If you are looking for a 250 cruiser the Marauder 250 and the Virago 250 are the best ones, but the downside to the Virago is that it is the most expensive 250 cruiser and the Marauder is a little bit faster.


But if you want to go with a sportbike after your newbie bike, then get a Nighthawk 250 or the Ninja 250, they are more like a sportbike than a cruiser and will prepare you better for a sportbike. I don't advise older 250s to newbies as they may have their own age issues and those two you can get them relatively new at good prices. The Nighthawk is bulletproof, not very fast, 70mph usually but extremely cheap to own, even better gas mileage than the Ninja but nothing more.
whats your opinion on this review of the Nighthawk? http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mccompare/250/hawk250.html
 

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
Joined
·
5,894 Posts
I do agree and disagree at the same time.

You can't really turn down the Nighthawk just because of its small engine or brakes. It was designed to be a cheap to run, bulletproof commuter bike and that is what it is, and does it extremely well.

Advantage over the EX250, more comfortable UJM design, advantage over the Virago, weight and maybe comfort if you don't fit on the Virago.


But if you are considering it, really think about it. It is nothing more than a commuter bike, an excelent one, but just a commuter bike. In the long run it will be cheaper to operate and mantain than the other two, but if you are buying new it is more expensive than the EX and the extra money is just going to get you lower manteinance, not any performance advantages.

If I were in the US market looking for a 250 I would only consider it if I was able to get an extremely good deal on an used one. Buy if buying new, forget about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,240 Posts
twofiddies are a blast.. fun bike, fun first ride, HEY! fun all around!
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top