Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i lurk as i ride vintage bikes and just not up on late model stuff but i went to a new friends house warming. a number of modern sportbike riders were there.

one gives track riding lessons and leads area riders out on road rides. listening to the stories of the latest ride had me shaking my head...seems the slow riders were topping 150 on the straights just to keep up with the fast pack, led by the fellow above, on public roads. one of the riders went down in a small town managing to twist the throttle same time as squeezing ft brake. the fellow above said it was too sticky a grip and it has happened to him, too. the clincher was when a a gal mentioned she'd love to learn to ride but probably shouldn't because she parties too much and doesn't think it wise. this guy goes on to say what a rush it is to ride when buzzed.

surely, i'm not out of line to think this guy is not only full of shit but irresponsible in his actions as mentor to other riders. esp as he is giving lessons to my new friend and one of her girlfriends. as the new guy in the room i wasn't keen on an alfa male showdown that would disrupt the occasion. i will pass this thread / responses to the girls

frankly, i think the brake/throttle issue is a brake lever located too high on the bar

cheers,
scott

·
Registered
337 Posts
Time to find new friends. Seeking a thrill by riding with a buzz, frankly, thats retarded. Taking an activity that requires 100% of your physical senses, mental capacity and ability - Then take away from those and its a recipe for disaster.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Sounds like a group to ride with if you really want to lose your license or possibly die. Trying to keep up is a good way to push your self into taking risks you would normally have the good sense not to.

Also, for them to need to hit 150 on the straights the fast pack must have been speeding very bad through the corners too. I personally wouldn't ride with a group that habitually speeds. I can't afford the tickets and if the only other option is to be left behind, there is just no reason to even go.

As for drunk / buzzed riding... I'm sure many of us here have tried it even if inadvertently. Me personally, even if I am way bellow the legal limit, the bike starts to feel scary in a "Im going to fall off this thing!" kind of way. Your body doesn't react and compensate as quickly to the various g-forces coming from all directions.

·
Human After All
4,687 Posts
The first group of guys I rode with, one spent half the ride that I was along for standing on his tank.

It was a very short ride, as far as my involvement goes.

·
It's good to B-King
3,290 Posts
Time to find new friends. Seeking a thrill by riding with a buzz, frankly, thats retarded. Taking an activity that requires 100% of your physical senses, mental capacity and ability - Then take away from those and its a recipe for disaster.
+1

Find new 'friends' or at least never ride with these jokers. I couldn't care less if they kill themselves - it's the other person they might take with them that matters to me.

·
Registered
178 Posts
You're friends need internet confirmation that triple digit speeds on public roads and mixing booze and bikes aren't the best decisions?

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Group rides with riders of varying experience and skill can be real disasters. There is an old essay that pretty much sums up how to ride safely in a group:

The Pace - Nick Ienatsch - Motorcyclist magazine

If the group is large enough, split it up according to desired pace. If not, put the slower riders near the end with a "sweeper" to make sure all are OK. At each checkpoint, the whole group should wait for the end of the group. No one should struggle to keep up.

Many new riders trying to keep up with a group go down, unfortunately. Anyone who organizes or leads a group ride without taking this into account is a danger to all. Mixing riding with alcohol/drugs is just plain crazy.

I'd avoid that crowd and pass the word to your new rider friends as well.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The people at this party were what is commonly referred to as "squids". They possess little to no riding ability, and ride very dangerously on public streets. Riding "buzzed" is a sure way to turn yourself into a grease stain on the highway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts