Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I am looking at painting my CBR Matte Black. Everything that needs painting is plastic. 1st ? is what would be the best paint to use. 2nd I want to replace the OEM stickers. I am stuck between staying with the gloss black or going with the eBay ones linked below. If you notice in the picture I've already painted the tail. I used Krylon (rattle can) and it came out damn near perfect.

CBR 1000RR 2007 Fireblade Decals Stickers Graphics Set Kit Motorrad Aufkleber RR | eBay

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa107/minggle78/20121205_144738.jpg

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
i hear house of color makes good paint but go to a painter and see what the have the best feedback on.

depending on where you live, how much sunlight you have a year can effect the lifespan of the paint. I know when I lived in the south they recommended I didn't even use wax but rather polish.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As much as I like the red w/black wings, apparently so do all the other cbr owners around me. I like the matte black just as much. Thanks shamrock i'll take a look.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Take lots and lots of pictures of you spraying them, since the next buyer will think you're selling a wrecked bike with made in China plastics.

Krylon is the most economical answer. You could always spray it properly and then use a matte clear coat. It'll look better, but cost as much (or more) than any other paint job.

As for the decals, use Kruzel at DrippinWet.com. He's the best. There's a reason his stuff is on most of the bikes in the AMA paddock (in some capacity). Here's one of the bikes Kruzel made the graphics for:

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
don't do rattle cans. anyone that has ever painted with real paint guns and paint can spot a spray can job easy.
it never turns out as good. you just don't any better to tell.

plus it's not as durable as a automotive grade paint is. don't ever spill gas on it put it that way.

my answer is the most expensive but the best...automotive grade paints sprayed from a gun.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
don't do rattle cans. anyone that has ever painted with real paint guns and paint can spot a spray can job easy.
it never turns out as good. you just don't any better to tell.

plus it's not as durable as a automotive grade paint is. don't ever spill gas on it put it that way.

my answer is the most expensive but the best...automotive grade paints sprayed from a gun.
Quite true. Even a cheap pro paint job looks better than a really good krylon blast.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol.. I only used krylon on the tail to make sure I was going to like the matte black on the bike. It was a cheaper test than going out and buying a QT of auto paint. Thnx Tony, I would like to stay with the OEM wings, just not sure what color to go with on the matte black.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Personally, I'd use a gloss black or dark matte gray.

It's funny, I was talking to Chris last night and I told him about this post. He said that you want to make sure that the paint work is a smooth, otherwise the decals might not stick in the long term (they might peal on the edges). He can do Honda wings however you want them.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Personally, I'd use a gloss black or dark matte gray.

It's funny, I was talking to Chris last night and I told him about this post. He said that you want to make sure that the paint work is a smooth, otherwise the decals might not stick in the long term (they might peal on the edges). He can do Honda wings however you want them.
I was thinking the same thing about the decals, wondering how they would stick on the matte. I think they would be fine on the sides as long as I put a smooth clear coat on. its the tank that I am mostly worried about. the oem is clear coated over. I didn't think about a matte grey on the wings, might have to play with MS Paint and try that out, thanks.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I was thinking the same thing about the decals, wondering how they would stick on the matte. I think they would be fine on the sides as long as I put a smooth clear coat on. its the tank that I am mostly worried about. the oem is clear coated over. I didn't think about a matte grey on the wings, might have to play with MS Paint and try that out, thanks.
Just asked Chris, he said clear over the decals on the tank.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
MS Paint? You can get GIMP for free or download Adobe Photoshop CS2 for free (they released it, from their site).

Adobe - CS2 Downloads

GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
Got the same paint job on my bike and I like it just fine. Don't much care about other guys' bikes. Don't feel like spending a pile of dough for something that'll get ruined if the bike so much as falls over.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got the same paint job on my bike and I like it just fine. Don't much care about other guys' bikes. Don't feel like spending a pile of dough for something that'll get ruined if the bike so much as falls over.
I wouldn't even be thinking about doing a paint job if i was looking at spending a lot of cash. Thankfully my Bro-n-law can spray it for me for dirt cheap and i know he does a good job.

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
I wouldn't even be thinking about doing a paint job if i was looking at spending a lot of cash. Thankfully my Bro-n-law can spray it for me for dirt cheap and i know he does a good job.
Yeah, if I had a paint booth and sprayer (and the experience to do it competently) or inexpensive access to these things, I might paint my bike. Consider it a project. But no way would I pay someone to do it. It costs real money to have it done right where it actually looks better than what you started with. Moreover, it has to be a buttload of work, since the best paint jobs alll start with lots and lots of prep.

Like I said, I don't care what anyone else's bike looks like, so long as I like mine.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
Yeah, if I had a paint booth and sprayer (and the experience to do it competently) or inexpensive access to these things, I might paint my bike. Consider it a project. But no way would I pay someone to do it. It costs real money to have it done right where it actually looks better than what you started with. Moreover, it has to be a buttload of work, since the best paint jobs alll start with lots and lots of prep.

Like I said, I don't care what anyone else's bike looks like, so long as I like mine.
it's not as hard as it sounds. I do my stuff in my garage without any kind of "booth" setup.
I just shut the door and crack it open enough to let fumes out. if you wear a mask there is no health risk.
sure I get a little spot of dust or something here and there but when the clear is on and you're not standing there with a magnifying glass you can't see it. and the ones you can see 99% of the time they buff right out.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
that looks damn good. That is how my bro-n-law does his as well. I've seen the work he does and know he has been doing it for some time now. He's even painted a 97 stang in the garage and it came out as if he had a booth.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts