Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all, i always like motorbikes from little, especially plastic ones, and since i have a job now and some cash stored, i am thinking on buying my 1st bike, at 1st i was thinking on buying a cbr600rr but those think pack a punch for someone new on bikes and after reading the stickies here, i rather stay away from them for now, maybe later on the round i get one, i was thinking of getting a used 250 or something like that but since i don't dont alot on bikes only the basics, not alot of the mecanics and dont know anyone that can help me on the matter, so i rather not buy a used one and getting rip off for that reason, since i will be using it 2 or 3 days a week for commute for work, maybe some Sundays drives i decided to get the new ninja 300 2013, 5k or less, not that expensive for being a new bike

well anyways what do u guys think? thanks for ur help

·
Registered
936 Posts
When I started riding, I bought a brand new bike. Took all of 10 minutes to drop it and smash the front left turn signal and bend the clutch lever. Buy a used bike to learn on, it'll hurt less when you drop/crash it.

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
1) See above, the emotional and financial pain of dropping the bike is much greater.

2) The trepidation over NOT dropping a new bike is very paralyzing, and makes you tend to avoid exactly the kinds of learning experiences you need.

3) New riders *think* they know what kind of bike they want. This isn't necessarily the kind of bike they actually like once they ride a few. Learning what you like and don't like in a bike is best done with something you won't take the aforementioned hit on when you sell it. Nice to be able to try different things without costing a lot.

KeS

·
Registered
187 Posts
He already bought it. Good choice ! You will wreck it probably but just sell it "naked" when u get rid of it and you will probably get a good return.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I recommend a used bike. I wouldn't be overly concerned about maintenance and repairs. They're pretty damn reliable.

OTOH, if you already bought it, or you insist on buying new, that Ninja 300 looks pretty cool. MCN just had a great write up on it. They loved it.

·
AS LONG AS YOU RIDE
48 Posts
I was seeing this huosung 07 250r for about 1750, good deal ?

It's a good deal but there are reliability problems too.

I heard that 2011 and up are more reliable.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Staying together kind of problems.

Reactions: 06r6raven

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
what about a cruiser as a begginer ? like a rebel or a vstar? any inputs
I started on a Kawi Vulcan 500 I got on Craigslist for $2k. Great learner bike. And who knows, maybe you'll decide you like cruisers better. For me it helped me decide I didn't like cruisers, but I'm glad I had it. When I bought mine it was 8 years old and had nearly 20,000 miles on it and ran beautifully. Sold it a few months later for the same money.

The Rebel 250 felt like a bicycle with a motor, I def wouldn't feel comfortable taking that on the highway.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
26 Posts
I could't agree more about getting a used cheap bike as a first. My first purchase this spring will be something cheap and used. Probably a katana (I know, it's heavy for a first bike and has alot of plastic) or gs500 or ex500. Probably the ex500 as there seems to be alot on craigslist in my area.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts