Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yikes. Pretty scary. Went to stop the engine a la side stand after a small run. I was wearing my leather pants as usual and as I started to push down and out with my leg on the side stand guide, I slipped, pant leg caught on either the left side peg or the side stand guide itself. Bike was leaning to that side and I almost dropped it, going 0 MPH. Pretty scary. Anybody else have this happen to them? Solutions? Pants cannot tuck into boots. Damn near impossible.

·
Registered
183 Posts
pant leg

Several years ago on our family dirt bike I got my pant leg caught on the kick starter and fell over at a complete stop. I had this helpless feeling all the way over and was too stupid to lift my leg up off the peg. Very embarrasing!!!!!! :urowned

·
Banned
2,680 Posts
I had a shoelace come untucked one time and get caught on the gear selector, luckily i noticed this while i was still riding and promptly pulled into a empty lot, then stabilized with my right leg and unhooked myself. Scared the shit out of me at first but i thought quickly, good thing too cause stoping at a red light unknowingly of what happened wouldve sucked royaly. :)

·
Registered
791 Posts
I feel your pain mikem. Just yesterday i was putting my kick stand down at the gas station when my pant leg got caught on the shifter. I dont remember how i kept the bike up. Semi embarrassing cause there was a biker behind me parked. I felt like he was just staring and laughing LOL. The 3 guys i was with didnt see it though or i think they hadnt pulled up yet.

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Do you guys normally stop your engine by just throwing the kickstand down? I always put the bike into N and just turn the key... I used to hit the kill switch but that always got annoying when restarting, so I generally don't touch it.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I usually just put the kickstand down or hit killswitch.

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
I always hit N and use the key. I've almost dumped mine a few times at stops. Usually from some bastards car that leaked oil everywhere and my foot slips in it.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bluemist said:
Your Heart fell right into your stomach didn't it?????
Not only did my heart fall right into my stomach but the crap almost fell into my pants. :eek:nfloor

I usually shut down using the key, keeping the transmission in 1st gear, but I like to use the sidestand to shut down the engine occasionally as well as the kill switch so I can have an opportunity to test both features. Kill switch better work when it counts! And if the machine stays on in a gear with the sidestand down, I know there's something wrong.

·
Registered
95 Posts
thought I'd throw out there that I recommend using the kill switch to shut the engine off. Get into that habit. If you're in a survival situation, it's the habits that kick in, and hitting the kill switch is much faster than using the kickstand.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Spike said:
Do you guys normally stop your engine by just throwing the kickstand down? I always put the bike into N and just turn the key... I used to hit the kill switch but that always got annoying when restarting, so I generally don't touch it.
I always hit the kill switch when I'm parked, either by key, or sidestand. I remove the key (obviously!) and then hit the kill switch.

My MSF instructor told me of a funny story where a would-be theif tried to steal a former student's bike with the key in the ignition. The owner spotted the theif a few minutes later from several stories up. The theif could've gotten away, but couldn't start it because the kill switch wasn't in RUN. :lao

Very cheap anti-theft device.

·
Light it up! Light it up!
1,459 Posts
I had on a pair of boots with the laces just hanging out. One of the loops from my left shoe got caught around a hose clamp. Everytime i tried to put my left foot down i got so far off the peg and then i couldn't pull anymore. I finally got my right foot down and unhooked my shoe.

but yeah, that first time i tired to put my left foot down and it couldn't reach, that hot, OH SHIT, feeling just rushed over me.

i tuck my laces in when i wear normal shoes on the bike now, but i mostly ride with motorcycle boots on anyway--there are no outside laces on those.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts