·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.bransondailynews.com/articles/2005/06/09/news/news3.txt

Body found

By Krystal J. Carman
BDN Staff Writer

TANEY COUNTY - A mangled motorcycle and the body of its apparent rider were discovered Wednesday afternoon in a ravine on Missouri 265 about one mile north of Chateau on the Lake. Officers with Taney County and the Missouri State Highway Patrol were on scene and speculated that the male body had been in the ravine for about a week. The motorcycle, whose front wheel was broken off, was towed out of the ravine. Investigators said that based on evidence at the scene, the motorcycle skidded on the pavement as it rounded a corner and went off the side of the road, hitting at least three trees on the way down. Officers said it appeared the motorcycle hit a fourth tree, most likely killing the driver on impact. As of press time Wednesday, officers were awaiting the arrival of Taney County Coroner Randall Vest.

Story created Jun 08, 2005 - 16:17:52 CDT.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wow ... regrets to his family and friends. BTW it is enjoyable to be out riding with friends and in groups. +1 on not riding alone [although sometimes its just how its gotta be]

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
damn, the rear end looks kinda like an 02-03 R1, could be wrong though...

too bad, RIP guy.

·
Official E-Thug
1,689 Posts
Same thing happened to my best friends friend in his army unit in washington... they were out on a long weekend and the guy didnt show up on monday, the found him in a ditch.. sad sad thing to happen.... almost stopped me from getting a bike...

not sure what happened in this case, but in his the cops concluded that he had fallen asleep, no skid marks or anything just drove straight off the road

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Cage drivers are less lucky to screw around with bikes (e.g. cutting them off, etc.) if your in a pack too. +1 on enjoyable.

·
Registered
488 Posts
that sucks.. i hate readin about shit like this..

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
I end up doing most of my faster, longer, or nighttime rides alone. The result of too many people being into bikes for either wheelies or hanging out. I piss off the crowd by constantly berating them for never leaving town or simply sitting around on their bikes all night. I didn;t get a sport bike to go slow or to sit around yapping about riding. I prefer to actually ride. And that means more than from the gas station to downtown and back.
I'm sure that when the inevitable happens, I'll most likely be alone. The crowd has changed. Used to be we took the long way everywhere, revelled in late night high speed blasts on back roads, and every sat and sun had an organized ride in the mountains.
Now it's like pulling teeth to get anyone past the city limits, or anywhere off a main street where they can wheelie in front of giggling high school chicks. So I fully expect that when that time comes, I'll just bleed out alone in a ditch.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
I'm with you Solly...I bought this bike to ride it! I have found a few guys I feel safe to ride with, Snakemann and 99birdv6, we have logged enough miles together that we can get out and let it loose. It is safer to ride with others...but I have found a lot are either posers or daredevils and they just aren't safe to be around...

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
600RR or 1000RR it has undertail exhaust RIP to the rider

EDIT: just my guess but i think thats an exhaust pipe going out to the tail

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
my complaint isn't that they're unsafe (it can be argued that I am since I like to haul ass, even in the dark) but rather that they simply don't RIDE much. Alot of hanging out, alot of riding around town doing stunts, alot of going up and down the same road all night.
I am sick to death of spending 8 hours with 'bikers' and putting all of 15 miles on my bike. Yes, riding is virtually 100% of my social life. I like the people and hanging out is fun too. But my theory is that if my tires get cold, or my temp gauge is bottomed out- I have been in one place too damn long.
Riding up and down the main drag watching the same guys do the same wheelie for the 200000000000th time has gotten so old that I'm about ready to just quit the scene here and go solo.
It wasn't that way a couple years ago, but that crew has disappeared. They did stunts too, but they also RODE their fucking bikes farther than the next posing spot.
Buying a motorcycle seems to me an expensive prop for joining a social scene......

·
...What speed limit sign?
244 Posts
Ouch. My condolences to his family.

·
Registered
85 Posts
TheSollyLama said:
I end up doing most of my faster, longer, or nighttime rides alone. The result of too many people being into bikes for either wheelies or hanging out. I piss off the crowd by constantly berating them for never leaving town or simply sitting around on their bikes all night. I didn;t get a sport bike to go slow or to sit around yapping about riding. I prefer to actually ride. And that means more than from the gas station to downtown and back.
I'm sure that when the inevitable happens, I'll most likely be alone. The crowd has changed. Used to be we took the long way everywhere, revelled in late night high speed blasts on back roads, and every sat and sun had an organized ride in the mountains.
Now it's like pulling teeth to get anyone past the city limits, or anywhere off a main street where they can wheelie in front of giggling high school chicks. So I fully expect that when that time comes, I'll just bleed out alone in a ditch.

Dude, I'm totally with you on this one.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
90% of my riding is done alone, mainly because the local riders here are more interested in riding from Sonic to Dairy Queen and back. Like Solly, I figure I'll end up bleeding alone in a ditch one of these days. Hopefully my Hi-viz patches on my Aerostich will help someone find me before it's too late.

I actually take it easy going around curves with big drop offs, etc because of things like this. One of my cousins lowsided his RC51 off a drop and spent an hour dragging himself up the ravine and back onto the highway. He had a cell phone with him but couldn't get reception at the bottom of the ravine.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's the follow up:

http://www.bransondailynews.com/articles/2005/06/10/news/news2.txt

Crash victim from Nixa

By Krystal J. Carman

BDN Staff Writer

The body of a motorcycle rider discovered in a ravine Wednesday has been identified as Luis A. Chavez, 25, of Nixa.

Authorities suspect he died more than a week ago.

A passerby noticed the body at 12:40 p.m. along Missouri 265 near Chateau on the Lake. Chavez was found with his 2004 Honda motorcycle.

Missouri State Highway Patrol reports indicate Chavez missed a curve as he topped a hill and ran off the road. Authorities believe Chavez struck several trees during the 28-foot descent.

Taney County Coroner Randall Vest said the accident occurred June 1.

"We definitely think he died June 1 when the accident happened," Vest said. "His body was badly decomposed and there was paperwork with him that indicated he purchased the motorcycle June 1."

Both the patrol and the coroner determined Chavez died on impact after his motorcycle hit a tree. The bike was mangled, with its front wheel detached. Vest said there will be no toxicology testing because "there weren't any other vehicles involved and we have determined what happened."

He died the day he bought the bike. Damn.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Well, I got used to ride alone a long time ago. The club I was a member off just does this meeting on Sundays morning, and the whole thing is to go to the parking lot of the meeting place (the Revolution Monument) and then go to some place to have breakfast, and thats it!!!

Damn, my bike is to ride, not to park it while they discuss where they want to have breakfast!

So most of the time I ride alone. I'm looking for some people to ride with, but I haven't been lucky so far.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
yup, I don't understand how it is that there is a bike club around here, but their idea of a 'ride' is meeting at hooters to talk smack about anyone not in attendance, then go home. Once I'm 5 miles outside of the city limits I can count on 3 fingers the number of sport bikes I see. But damn if the local gas station doesn't have a couple dozen people doing anything but riding.
I gave up on them. I stop in to hang out and chat for a bit, but I don't even ask anyone to join me when I start putting on my lid. I just assume that if I go anywhere but main street to wheelie, I'll be riding alone.
Too many times I'll lead a pack up the road and watch as they all turn off to do the same 10 mile circuit to show off while I keep going to hit a back road or ten. I know that if I roll by one of two hang out spots, there they will be- standing around.

·
My fanclub is here
1,918 Posts
Odd you posted this. When I ride twisties solo this always runs through my mind at some point. A lot of those mountain passes are pretty steep drops and it would take the buzzards to draw attention before someone found you in the kudzu. Another brother gone.

·
Registered
968 Posts
R.I.P.

When I'm riding alone (ride mostly alone) outside the city someone always knows the path I'm taking. Just in case.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts