Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who all is running one off track tires on the street. I got a 3" screw through the sidewall of the rear 190/55/17 Avon I was running on my 929 and I picked up a set of pirelli dragon supercorsas 180/50/17 for $150.00 to run for the rest of the season.

I was thinking that the 180 series is meant for a 5.5" rim, and the litre bikes run a 6" rim with a stock 190. I was told that most racers doing track days and amateur racing run a 180 on all the litre bikes, but as I see it that would pull the sidewall of the 180 slightly further if mounted on a 6" rim.I have the bike almost leaned over as far as it can go with the back, but the front still has more meat left, but when it was on my buddies 600rr at the track he was using all the front and the rear equally, and I would attribute this to the rear tire having less lean angle due to being stretched out on a 6" rim.

I just would like a second opinion, because all the guys here make me think that this isn't the case..., but logic is telling me otherwise.

:confused: :nuts

·
F-You and Yourspace!
799 Posts
My racebike has an OEM 190, on 6" rim. I ride 180's without any problems. I actually like it better. Much faster transition in turns. And the 180 is a slightly lighter tire, meaning less unsprung weight, and lower MOI numbers.

You will be draggin' hard parts before you run out of tire on a 180. I've also heard nothing but good things about the super corsa's.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, thanks man. I was thinking with new tires I can judge lean angle by the coating on new tires... since I don't have that on these one offs I would use a china marker across the radius of the tire to judgehow far I have left to lean by the mark wearing off. So far these tires are working pretty well, and I can aford 3 sets of them compared to one new set. I think I will keep trying the one offs as long as I have access to them. :)

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
hmmm........a guy just posted about getting the latest michelin powers for $215 US, for the wear you can't beat a dedicated street tire. plus race tires suck in the rain. then there's heat cycling.........

IMO not worth the saving for race tires vs street tires.

·
Official E-Thug
1,689 Posts
i agree with racer x

Riding a track tire full time on the street seems like a recipe for trouble... the idea of getting take-offs is great, but track tires are meant for the track... street tires work well either place.

Another set of rims might be a good idea...?

·
F-You and Yourspace!
799 Posts
matt365 said:
Cool, thanks man. I was thinking with new tires I can judge lean angle by the coating on new tires... since I don't have that on these one offs I would use a china marker across the radius of the tire to judgehow far I have left to lean by the mark wearing off. So far these tires are working pretty well, and I can aford 3 sets of them compared to one new set. I think I will keep trying the one offs as long as I have access to them. :)

No need to mark the tires with anything. You'll know when you've run out of tire, and trust me, it's not going to happen without a lot of advanced warning.

·
F-You and Yourspace!
799 Posts
RACER X said:
hmmm........a guy just posted about getting the latest michelin powers for $215 US, for the wear you can't beat a dedicated street tire. plus race tires suck in the rain. then there's heat cycling.........

IMO not worth the saving for race tires vs street tires.
DOT race tires are fine in the rain, and heat cycling is almost a moot point at even a spirited street pace. The core temperature of the tire doesn't get hot enough. But thanks for keeping mis-information alive and kicking. :cheers

·
Registered
416 Posts
How good are Shinko's. I have heard of them, but I haven't heard of anyone talking about them. I'll try a set if they are any good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts