Sport Bikes banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Lowlife
7,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I'm travelling home from Ames along the county road going east and as if it were in slow motion, I see this big ass chunk of snow/ice break off this guys minivan heading the opposite direction.

There wasn't much I could do except hope it was more snow than ice....well it came right at me...the boy was in the back and the girl was in passenger seat...

Like I said, it seemed like slow motion, except I was still helpless, there is no shoulder, and a swerve would have caused me to go off into the deep ditch packed with snow....hit the brakes would have made it land on my hood, hitting the gas and it would have probably damaged the roof area, so my quick decision was to take on the windscreen...there was another vehicle right behind me too...

As usual, The girl was reading a book...then BAM!!!! this fuckin thing hit friggin hard! It shattered a bunch of small shards of glass throughout the cabin, Tif was actually bleeding a little from her arm....shit that was loud! It hit so hard that my map light assembly popped out of it's place.....the windshield itself has a good sized hole in it, I think the electronic mirror is ok, but is at an odd angle due to the blast......I even had little pieces of ice inside sitting on the dash among the bits of glas everywhere....and I could now hear and feel the wind a little bit coming through the hole.

Normally I'd be pissed about something like this, but all the sudden I started laughing after seeing that the kids were ok...you see it's funny because I own a windshield repair biz, but I don't replace them as of yet....I was looking into it as recently as today though...anyhow, I thought that was a little ironic...I called my agent as I was still making my way home, I have the replacemenet guys coming out on friday....Luckily, they keep my part in stock:banana

As you can see, this is clearly Stevo's fault :bitchslap, and I expect him to pay for it in full.

good times, good times,

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
damn stealthy that must have been so piece of ice to make that kind of damage!

when i started reading it i was thinking to myself, it would be good training for ya to watch the guy install it. its not as hard as some might think as long as u have the right tools.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Holy crap that's crazy! You mean the Crack N' Chip man cant fix his own crack and chips?! That looks like it'll clean right off. Throw some rain-x on and you're golden!

I know it sucked at the time but that is kind of awesome! Minus the whole paying for the windshield. Just one of those wow that could of been way worse and we made it out alright type things.

·
Registered
226 Posts
This is why I get so pissed that people don't clean off the top of their cars! Glad you and the kids were okay. That's some crazy damage looking at the pics!

Chanda

·
Jive Turkey
4,528 Posts
This is why I get so pissed that people don't clean off the top of their cars!
Chanda
Completely agree. Besides the time and money it's gonna take to repair it, the fact that the situation could have been far worse, especially with your kids, all because some douche doesn't take an extra 30 seconds to clean off their car... :bitchslap

Glad you're all OK though (and in good spirits).

Merry Christmas fellow Iowa riders. :cheers

·
Cheshire Cat
1,028 Posts
Damn.

I had a chunk of ice rip off of my car on the way back from IC a while back. Same thing, it went flying off the roof. The car had been standing for two weeks without me cleaning it so the ice had built up to where I couldn't clean it. Luckily my roof is pretty flexible, so I just broke it into a bunch of smaller pieces, so it was only a quarter-roof piece and I was keeping a good distance from the guy behind me.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Thus the reason if I see someone with frost on all their windows or snow still on their car, I'll stop them and make them clean it all off. :D I'm an asshole like that.
cops all over iowa were getting serious about that after that girl died up at iowa state last year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts