Sport Bikes banner

One more, Oil question, but with a serious twist.

689 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  lukeharrington 
#1 ·
Right now I'm using Supertech 15-40 on my bike. I used it because only God knows what the PO did for manteinance, so I thought that it would be good to run it for 1000 miles and then dump it.

(The guy could not recognize a sparkplug from a bolt, and his "mechanic" took advantage of him BIG TIME, overcharged him for every single job, and most of the time the guy did nothing)

The sad fact is that I can't get an OEM Suzuki filter in here, best I can get are the crappy FRAM filters. Now I'm 50 miles past the 1000 miles with the Supertech oil and I want to use a better oil since I will be taking the bike to a trackday next weekend.

Should I get Castrol GTX and use a FRAM filter, or Mobil 1 with the same FRAM filter?

I don't want to use an expensive oil because the weak link here is the filter, I will be replacing it after 3,000 miles at much, don't trust the FRAMM filter for any longer than that.

I guess I will be good running the Castrol GTX and changing it after 3,000 miles, along with the filter.

I have cupons for the supermarket (they are like checks that my company gives me for the supermarket, I have like $100 of them right now) so I can buy any oil I can find @ Wally's

But my budget is so bad right now, that I must rely on those cupons to buy the oil, can't afford to pay for the oil at a normal parts shop. Thats why I'm limited to whatever they sell at Wally's (If I had the cash, I would buy Castrol motorcycle oil, exactly same price as the GTX).

But since I can buy whatever oil I want at Wally's, maybe the SuperTech synthetic will be better than the Castrol GTX???

Guess that the synthetic supertech should be better than any dyno oil.

What would you do?

See less See more
#3 ·
I use fram filters in my F4i...I just change the oil/filter every 2000 miles or 6 weeks...Oil and filters are cheap...

#5 ·
Rotella Full Synth. at Wally's?

OK, you are missing some info, I live in Mexico. Here is what is available at Wally's:

a) SuperTech - Mineral and Synth.
b) Castrol - Mineral and Synth.
c) Mobil - Mineral and Synth.
d) Quaqer State - Mineral, Synth and blend.
e) Pennzoil - Mineral.

By the way, it seems that SuperTech is not the same in every country, what I've found at the back of the bottles:

a) SuperTech mineral is manufactured in the US and bottled by Mobil Exxon in Mexico.
b) SuperTech synth is manufactured in FRANCE and bottled in Mexico (I can't remember by whom, but it is not one of the big oil companies).

I doubt that the SuperTech Synth can be a PAO oil, I'm pretty sure it is a group III oil, but God knows who manufactures that stuff at France, could it be ELF?

By the way, is it true that the Mineral Mobil oil is a group I oil??? If it is true, then it must suck really bad! Or does it have an extremely good aditive package?

I want to know how bad the Mineral Mobil is, as that is what SuperTech oil in here is.

#6 ·
Sounds like you just need to ride to TX to do your shopping. :fiddy

Seriously, can you not order it off the internet and have it shipped to MC? I would think they would at least have something like the pony express in Mexico. Don't know how much shipping would cost though. Something like a billion pesos? :lao

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.