Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's been about a month on the bike and I thought I'd share my impressions thus far.

Adjusting to the new feel of the bike from the SV has been an easy transition. The more agressive riding stance gave me some discomfort at the beginning, but I quickly got over any weariness. It is a rather comfortable bike for 50+ mile rides.

The brakes are hella sharper, so it took some time to master quick stopping because I feared unwanted stoppies (i'm no stunter). Got it down though.

The handling came quickly, though I was initially nervous. Quick swerving and low speed is no problem for me.

What kills me though is this funky power. The v-twin was so nice... 3k and it starts screaming. This thing though... It seems slower until like 5-7k and then it picks up like I cannot explain. It launches and I'm not even comfortable opening the throttle more than 3/4's or so. I've only taken the bike to about 8500 rpm's in 3rd and I don't even desire to take it more. I guess when I heard that these things had wicked power, I didn't have any idea what to expect. I have taken a 600rr up to 12-13k rpm and I thought that was crazy fast. That was about 500 miles into my riding career though. I guess if I'm thinking that this thing is that fast at 7k rpm, I haven't changed much.

All in all, I love the bike. The looks are clean, the feel is good, and it can move. I probably should have bought a 600ss though. I doubt I'll ever be able to beat on this thing like I did the SV. It's just going to take some time (more than 350 miles at least) to find some functionality in the higher rpm's. Even with another quarter turn of the throttle to pass at 70mph in 6th, you're at 90mph before you check the speedo.

So, to sum it up: great bike, too fast.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,256 Posts
350 miles in a month? You should ride more..
 

·
Bring It!
Joined
·
935 Posts
KatanaMike said:
350 miles in a month? You should ride more..
My thought exactly. It sounds like you're enjoying yourself and all and that's great. But 350 miles in a month is not very much. I put that on in about a week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
288 Posts
lol i just got cbr 600 f2 (first bike) and put 350 in the past week that i was able to ride it. get out more man and youll learn to love the power your a affraid of.
 

·
They call me a ride whore
Joined
·
1,387 Posts
GixxersRule said:
My thought exactly. It sounds like you're enjoying yourself and all and that's great. But 350 miles in a month is not very much. I put that on in about a week.
LOL I usually put at least that much on every weekend in one day (hell one day it was 600+).

Glad to hear your liking the bike though! Just keep practicing, and ride more! You'll get used to it just like anything else. Just be careful getting comfortable with it.... ride safe and have fun! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
doct0rxnick said:
What kills me though is this funky power. The v-twin was so nice... 3k and it starts screaming. This thing though... It seems slower until like 5-7k and then it picks up like I cannot explain. It launches and I'm not even comfortable opening the throttle more than 3/4's or so.
LMAO! Kinda' gives you that special feeling when the front wheel comes off the ground when you hit the powerband, don't it? :)
Be careful. Ride more! (and watch that "launching" in the twisties!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
doct0rxnick said:
Well, it's been about a month on the bike and I thought I'd share my impressions thus far.

Adjusting to the new feel of the bike from the SV has been an easy transition. The more agressive riding stance gave me some discomfort at the beginning, but I quickly got over any weariness. It is a rather comfortable bike for 50+ mile rides.

The brakes are hella sharper, so it took some time to master quick stopping because I feared unwanted stoppies (i'm no stunter). Got it down though.

The handling came quickly, though I was initially nervous. Quick swerving and low speed is no problem for me.

What kills me though is this funky power. The v-twin was so nice... 3k and it starts screaming. This thing though... It seems slower until like 5-7k and then it picks up like I cannot explain. It launches and I'm not even comfortable opening the throttle more than 3/4's or so. I've only taken the bike to about 8500 rpm's in 3rd and I don't even desire to take it more. I guess when I heard that these things had wicked power, I didn't have any idea what to expect. I have taken a 600rr up to 12-13k rpm and I thought that was crazy fast. That was about 500 miles into my riding career though. I guess if I'm thinking that this thing is that fast at 7k rpm, I haven't changed much.

All in all, I love the bike. The looks are clean, the feel is good, and it can move. I probably should have bought a 600ss though. I doubt I'll ever be able to beat on this thing like I did the SV. It's just going to take some time (more than 350 miles at least) to find some functionality in the higher rpm's. Even with another quarter turn of the throttle to pass at 70mph in 6th, you're at 90mph before you check the speedo.

So, to sum it up: great bike, too fast.
Heh... I dunno if I have even went past half throttle on my gsxr 600 yet... I feel like I'm going to fly off.
 

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
Joined
·
8,369 Posts
Yeah, you can really beat on the twin and it doesn't complain much. I'm awaiting the day I finally get to ride a 600SS and then a liter bike... Just to see what they're like. You can whack the throttle on the SV at most times and it just gets moving... that thing I think might perhaps try to fly haha.

-Ryan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,767 Posts
I agree you need to get out more, I put about 300-400 miles on the bike in a week, glad you like the bike though.
 

·
Where's my bike???
Joined
·
628 Posts
Not trying to sound like Barny Bad Ass, but I've got 6K+ this season. Bike week had a lot to do with it, but for the most part it's been trying to get lost, literaly. I know this area too well. I have to travel 80 miles away to find new roads.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
488 Posts
i think i put 300 on my bike on SATURDAY.. it was beautiful day, rode for about 6 hours..

Anyway, you'll get used to the power, just ride that bitch like its your job..and def be carefule of the launching...wouldnt want to launch yourself into a tree..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts
I put 4K on my Busa in 2 months, and I work a full time job with O/T to boot.

Its good you know your own limits though, if you are really as scared of the bike as you sound then perhaps you should get rid of it....though I think if youd dedicate some more time to riding that you will get used to that power pretty quick...and it will only be a matter of time before you are railing the piss out of that 954RR.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
352 Posts
I put over 2k on my R6 in the first month... Get out there and let that beast stretch its legs :cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
323 Posts
yeah i got my bike 3 days ago and i already put abour 300 miles on it and i work as a bike mechanic from 9-6 everyday and my commute to work is 5 min so get out there and let her breathe.!
ride safe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here is my past 2 days: Thursday I go to class until four and then go to mosque. Come home to study, then go to work at 10:30. Get off at 3, come home and allow the caffeine to wear off. Then I go to bed at 4, get up at 7 to be at my dad's office to run deliveries at 8:30. I work till 1:45, then go to school at 2. Get off at four and go to mosque. Leave at 5:45 to go to work and I just got home at 3.

In addition, it's been mid to high 90's in the days. I took it to school this week and I was a sweaty mess for biolab. eh. I love to ride, but I don't have enough time until I head back for fall semester.

BTW: I just converted to Islam; that is why I went to mosque two days in a row.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
04Kanotuna said:
LMAO! Kinda' gives you that special feeling when the front wheel comes off the ground when you hit the powerband, don't it? :)
Be careful. Ride more! (and watch that "launching" in the twisties!)
I meant to respond to you in particular. When I was returning home from school, I was stopped at a light, two cars back from the front in the middle lane. Light goes green and my lane goes ahead because someone is taking a right. I get to about twenty, hit the signal, and open it up a bit as I move over to the right lane to pass. I didn't even realize, but it came up about a foot off of the ground. Only when it dropped did I think, "Whoa, wheelie! :bitchslap "
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Ive put 4k on my 6r since i started riding 2 months ago, i ride everyday sometimes 150km or so in one day, i just love riding and i do it everyday.
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top