Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright everybody here goes, I am in need for a jacket that will provide adequate protection on the bike, but not look like a total 100% moto jacket when off the bike. With my job, I fly A LOT, and I want a jacket that I can wear through the airport, onto a plane without looking nuts.

I dress casual for work so that is not a problem. I was planning on locking the helmet up to the bike while I'm gone.

I have looked at Roland Sands stuff and I like it. I am 5'6 about 185 with a 44" chest.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Guess it depends on what you mean by 'adequate protection' - are you talking about CE rated shoulder and elbow armor and back protector? if so, its going to be hard to find something that disguises those, as they tend to stick out/be noticeable.
Maybe something like this?

If you're not looking for something with armor, there's tons of options out there for leather jackets.

the list goes on and on...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you don't want armor, what's the point of the jacket?
I wear as much protection as pratical. If I commute to work, in my situation I need a jacket that can be worn on or off the bike with out looking crazy. If I am out riding twisties I have a two piece leather suit, on the track I have one piece full leathers. I just need a jacket that can do both duties. I am thinking about the rsd stuff so I can pull the armor and have a comfy jacket after I get off the bike. Thanks for the suggestions everybody

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Dainese has a lot of good looking, style conscious gear. Even my straight up Zen Evo leather jacket with full armor and back protector is comfortable and neutral looking enough that I wear it all over the place when I'm out in my bike, which is every day, and I never feel out of place.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
269 Posts
600kidd, Belstaff has some good options for you. They're not cheap, but they look good off the bike and provide protection on it. FYI, it's not the Belstaff of the 1950s. They had a fashion takeover about 10 years ago to make them into a fashion brand. Prices went up. Then they had another takeover two years ago to make them a more exclusive fashion brand. Prices went up again.

Here's the official Belstaff site:

Belstaff | Pure Motorcycle Collection

And British Motorcycle Gear has some slightly older and less expensive stock (about 1-2 years old) from before the second fashion takeover:

Motorcycle Jacket | Scooter Jacket

·
Resident Breast Inspector
3,285 Posts
I like have some inconspicuous gear as well. I have a Dainese Stripes which I have worn to bars and clubs before. No one was the wiser unless they accidentally knocked shoulders with me

My next jacket might be a Spidi Dirty Seven

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I can't in good conscience recommend Icon gear to anyone.. Seriously.
Why? I've used their gear before and it was all quality stuff. The Icon gloves I had were even better quality than the Alpinestars ones I got later. Just because squids wear it doesn't mean it's bad gear.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I wouldn't wear it, but if the OP is considering a jacket without any armor to get a certain style, the Icon jackets with armor are still better than a jacket with no armor whatsoever.
I suppose something is better than nothing..

Why? I've used their gear before and it was all quality stuff. The Icon gloves I had were even better quality than the Alpinestars ones I got later. Just because squids wear it doesn't mean it's bad gear.

Early on, Icon used to have to have a little tag on the inside of their gear that said something to the effect of "for show only" or "offroad use only" or something like that because the quality was so poor. I PERSONALLY know two people that have crashed Icon helmets and had them *split in half on impact*.. To make matters worse, they're not even all that cheap.

I stand by my earlier comment-- Icon is a brand designed to achieve a certain look, not necessarily a certain level of protection.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I suppose something is better than nothing..

Early on, Icon used to have to have a little tag on the inside of their gear that said something to the effect of "for show only" or "offroad use only" or something like that because the quality was so poor. I PERSONALLY know two people that have crashed Icon helmets and had them *split in half on impact*.. To make matters worse, they're not even all that cheap.

I stand by my earlier comment-- Icon is a brand designed to achieve a certain look, not necessarily a certain level of protection.
Have you ever tried the stuff? I've never used their helmets or jackets, but I've owned their gloves and back protector. The back protector is decent quality and I'd trust it in a crash. The new version of it which is pretty much identical to the older one I have is even CE approved. The gloves I had were simple things, but they were comfortable, made of good quality leather, and had great stitching. Icon also offers sizing that is sometimes hard to find in some of the Euro brands.

Since then motorcycling has become a huge part of my life and I decided to invest heavily in my gear since I use it every day, and I no longer use Icon stuff. I wear well over $1000 in gear everywhere I go, but I don't expect the casual rider to spend that much on gear, and they may not want to get the power ranger comments I get all the time.

Would I advise someone to buy Icon's high heel boots, or leather vest? no. But a standard jacket or gloves I would have nothing against. As for helmets, buy one from a helmet company IMO.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I've never personally worn or crashed any Icon gear, no. I don't think I need to slide across the ground in it to see how it's put together though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts