Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a question for you guys that i just thought of today. i'm wondering who you think would be better suited for moving up to a liter bike. if both riders have been riding their first bike for the same amountof time. a rider who rides a 500 ninja or an r6. it seems like the r6 is more similar to the r1 but i think you would learn better motorcycle riding skills on the 500. so on which bike would it be better to make the jump to a liter bike from?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Neither, the person coming off the 500 will have 100 more hp to deal with now and it wont be in the same manner he's used to. An R6 owner will more expect how it's going to behave, but he probably can't handle his bike real well anyway.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
another one of these threads, you will get 2 answers: yes its okay to switch, and oh my god dont do it or you will die!!!, then there will be some argueing.

EDIT:im just gonna keep my mouth shut on this one, i had an answer typed, but with me only having 97 miles of street experiance it wouldnt be wise to listen to anyway

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
BentValve said:
Get what you want .
+1, but if you do go litre, dont get over confident on it

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
And a wise man once said

EDIT:im just gonna keep my mouth shut on this one, i had an answer typed, but with me only having 97 miles of street experiance it wouldnt be wise to listen to anyway[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
67 Posts
When you're talking about a liter bike, I assume you mean the aforementioned R1 or otherwise something in that same series (Gixxer 1000, ZX-10R, etc.). I would agree that neither is properly qualified.

Now, in my case I went from my KZ700 (not a Ninja 500, but still not a bad starter bike) to a Bandit 1200 (a bit of a step, but it's no R1). It's about making steps in a sensible progression.

But I give another +1 to get what you want... if you bought an R6 as your first bike, you made a bad decision IMO. If you have a Ninja 500, good move but you should then consider moving up to something like a ZX-7 next before getting to the liter-class sportbikes. Me, I'm a fan of my Bandit 1200 and would recommend one to anybody. :)

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
alaska cajun said:
And a wise man once said

EDIT:im just gonna keep my mouth shut on this one, i had an answer typed, but with me only having 97 miles of street experiance it wouldnt be wise to listen to anyway
[/QUOTE]

his answer was the one i had typed, thats why i replied to that.

i have mentioned this before on these types of threads. this is strictly my opinion and not to be taken as advise, but it makes sense to me....

when i got my r6 a few kids at work told me that i was an idiot for getting a 600 and that the 1000 are faster, and i said that i am not ready for a 1000 yet, and they replied "if they were to get a bike they would get a 1000 instead of a puny 600" then they called me a pussy b/c i wouldnt pull a wheelie, and of course "they would be doing wheelies and stoppies and flying through traffic all day if they had a litre bike" i asked "have you ever rode any type of motorcycle before?" they said no of course. but "they dont care they would out ride anybody if they had 1" this leads me to to believe that its not the bike you start on that makes you crash and die, its the attitude you have when you get the bike that makes you crash and die.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts

his answer was the one i had typed, thats why i replied to that.

i have mentioned this before on these types of threads. this is strictly my opinion and not to be taken as advise, but it makes sense to me....

when i got my r6 a few kids at work told me that i was an idiot for getting a 600 and that the 1000 are faster, and i said that i am not ready for a 1000 yet, and they replied "if they were to get a bike they would get a 1000 instead of a puny 600" then they called me a pussy b/c i wouldnt pull a wheelie, and of course "they would be doing wheelies and stoppies and flying through traffic all day if they had a litre bike" i asked "have you ever rode any type of motorcycle before?" they said no of course. but "they dont care they would out ride anybody if they had 1" this leads me to to believe that its not the bike you start on that makes you crash and die, its the attitude you have when you get the bike that makes you crash and die.[/QUOTE]

And the wise man get's wiser by the moment.

You should have cut their balls off before they breed.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
alaska cajun said:
You should have cut their balls off before they breed.
yeah, then i would transplant them on a squirrel, take a pic, and put it as my avatar :eek:nfloor

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
nitrotc3drifter said:
yeah, then i would transplant them on a squirrel, take a pic, and put it as my avatar :eek:nfloor

:eek:nfloor :eek:nfloor

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sorry guys. maybe my question was sort of miss leading. i wasnt trying to get you to agree with me so i can decide what bike to get. i am riding a 500 right now and i'm not planning on makeing the jump right to a liter bike. jump wondering who is more qualified for the jump

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Aw hell, I went straight from a 50hp v-twin cruiser to a 160hp, 600lb ZZR1200, after about 10,000 miles on the cruiser. Night and day, but I've had no problems whatsoever, now with 7,000 miles on my ZZR.

Once you know the mechanics of handling the throttle and brakes, and you understand the physics and mechanics of motorcycles, they're all pretty much the same. Now, wether or not you have the discipline to be able to handle a litre bike is another issue altogether. As was said above - it depends on the rider.

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
nitrotc3drifter said:
when i got my r6 a few kids at work told me that i was an idiot for getting a 600 and that the 1000 are faster, and i said that i am not ready for a 1000 yet, and they replied "if they were to get a bike they would get a 1000 instead of a puny 600" then they called me a pussy b/c i wouldnt pull a wheelie, and of course "they would be doing wheelies and stoppies and flying through traffic all day if they had a litre bike" i asked "have you ever rode any type of motorcycle before?" they said no of course. but "they dont care they would out ride anybody if they had 1" this leads me to to believe that its not the bike you start on that makes you crash and die, its the attitude you have when you get the bike that makes you crash and die.

Do you work at a day care or what?:p

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
no i work at sam's club. and not just people at work have said stuff like that to me, alot of people do

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
exactly my point, thats why i say big bikes dont kill people, idiots on big bikes kill themselves......its not the bikes fault

·
Registered
886 Posts
Hey after 10000 miles on a katana 750 and 5000 on a FZR 1000 (not much more power than the kat), I went to a busa. Its great. Actually it had quite a bit more power - especially just off idle - than I expected, which made it a handful for a while, but a visit to the drag strip and a few canyon runs later I'm proficient with it. At any rate the extra power wouldn't hurt someone unless A) they had 0 throttle control and came off from a stop too hot or B) forgot their brain and brought it up to 160mph in the city. I don't see anyone looping an R1 "accidently" - thats just a stunt gone bad scenario.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Jackal79 said:
At any rate the extra power wouldn't hurt someone unless A) they had 0 throttle control and came off from a stop too hot or B) forgot their brain and brought it up to 160mph in the city. I don't see anyone looping an R1 "accidently" - thats just a stunt gone bad scenario.

+1 when i bought my r6 the guy at the dealership told me that i would be so suprised what he sees people do when they leave the lot on a new bike, he told me that his co-worker sold a brand new r1 to a guy who said he only rode his friends sportster about a week before he came in and he said it was too slow for him so he decided on the r1, then he took off and topped it out right off of the lot :bitchslap

1 - 20 of 31 Posts