Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WOW thats about all i can say. it is just sooo much different then riding in the msf class! its sooooo scary making simple 90 degree turns into neighberhoods or shopping centers. im scared of going to fast and not making the turn tight enough or going to slow and making the bike fall over.

another question... should i be keeping the weight off my hands? by pushing more with my legs ect? i feel like when i go 60 the wind is gonna blow me off lol.

WOW :) it is sooo much fun though practically undesrcibable

and i ride a 1990 gs500... i cant believe how "twitchy" it feels to me, i cant imagine an R6 as a first bike YIKES

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
That scared/nervous/exciting feeling is something that most experienced riders wish we could have back. That's why people push themselves, to get that feeling back. Honestly, I am in complete envy of you!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL i dunno it scares me soo much... slow parking lot manuevers ewwwww

and i need boots bad it hurts my toes in my shoes to shift

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Yeah, you need to get some gear for sure, never underestimate the importance of quality gear!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i have arai quantum F helmet and JR jacket and gloves but i need to try and save for boots and legs.. UGH maybe i can live without winter is soon anyways

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
awesome thread man, this brought back memories of my first ride on my ex500. i got on the highway and got the bike up to 55mph and was scared to death lol....now i ride stand up wheelies at 90mph :D anyway enjoy your bike man...they are a blast

·
Banned
1,097 Posts
Not to hijack this thread but I'm in the same boat. I've been riding friends' 600s and I pick up my new 2004 Kawi 636 on saturday. The low speed manuvering is definitely what I'm most worried about since the bike is brand new and I'd hate to knock off a mirror or crack a fairing right after I get it. First thing I'll do saturday is ride the bike to a parking lot a block from the dealer and practice 90 degree starts and slow turns. I CAN'T F-ING WAIT! It's going to be a long week @ work.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Wow, a new 636 as a first bike huh? Dude, I hope you beat the odds and don't wreck this bike, but let me tell you now, you are in WAY OVER YOUR HEAD. But good luck anyways, have fun with it, and ride within your limits.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
me racer X? o i have definetly taken that class but im thinking maybe i should take it again since its been about a year and i think ive forgotten a lot. should my wrist be "cocked" or straight... and should i use 2-3 fingers to break.. i cant remember what they told me:(

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
no.....we were referring to magnum rider......

you should use all 4 fingers for braking

well, wrist wise cocked, initially. but after you get used to the throttle, straight.

just go out to an empty parking lot, and practice swerving, emergency braking, weaving.......get some tennis balls cut them in half and throw them 20- 30 ft apart.....

·
Registered
430 Posts
all 4 fingers? maybe it is different for the smaller bikes, but on my ZX6R, if I use more than 2 fingers, the bike would be riding me.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Four fingers will give you more control of the braking. You just have to learn how to slowly and progressively SQUEEZE the brake, not pull.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
4 finger's, more control, more feel, more pressure can be exerted........

how many fingers? you think your brakes are better then his......... ;)

sonix said:
all 4 fingers? maybe it is different for the smaller bikes, but on my ZX6R, if I use more than 2 fingers, the bike would be riding me.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
MagnumRider said:
I had a 500R a couple years ago.
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
If you had a 500r a couple years ago why are you so nervous about basic manuevering? How much riding did you get in on the 500r? I'm just confused now.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
DAMN! Nice pic RacerX I've never seen that one before! Thanks for the post, and yeah, 4-fingers!

·
Registered
549 Posts
snigg said:
awesome thread man, this brought back memories of my first ride on my ex500. i got on the highway and got the bike up to 55mph and was scared to death lol....
Yeah, I remember that. 65mph on a CB250 screaming its guts out trying to keep up with freeway traffic. It was terrifying, yet fun at the same time.

·
Banned
1,097 Posts
If you had a 500r a couple years ago why are you so nervous about basic manuevering? How much riding did you get in on the 500r? I'm just confused now.
Uh, because it was a couple of years ago. I'm 21 now, this was high school. The 636 will actually be lighter that the 500 was, but I'm just being overly cautious b/c it's brand spankin new.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
RACER X said:
4 finger's, more control, more feel, more pressure can be exerted........

how many fingers? you think your brakes are better then his......... ;)

There you have it, not only 4 fingers but proof positive you CAN brake (front anyway) while in a turn and leaned over a bit as well. Great pic!!

And 500dreams take that gs500 over to a good, desrted parking lot to practice all of those MSF drills. Ride safe and have fun!!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts