Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With more options showing up now I'm getting a choice now other than a ninja 250 it seems. Not that I have anything against it really other than every single one I saw over the winter was that hideous green and people asking 4000 or more for them.

My original first choice was going to be a CBR250, saw one for $3000 planning to look at it this weekend, but just left wondering since I could probably get a Ducati which is the bike I really want for just about a grand more for much more bike it seems(as in assuming I don't wreck it somehow I'll probably keep it for years instead of a season or two with a 250) Mostly seen old 750s, while they're all a little to a lot more than I've been told they should be worth there's a couple I'm sure I could get down to about $4000 or within a few hundred of that.

Looking those up they've got less power than the sv650 I've seen mentioned as a decent starter bike. Now I know another major consideration that I'm worried about is reliability and expense of maintenance of a Japanese bike versus Italian, I've heard those monsters shouldn't be too bad really reliability wise just more expensive to do the regular maintenance.

Otherwise it's between that CBR250 which I'm honestly just about ready to buy since from what I've seen and heard it looks pretty much new and a good price, and the Ninja 250. Main problem with the CBR really is just worrying I'll be sick of the 13hp by the end of the summer if not sooner and already looking to sell although I don't ride on highways much to begin with so it shouldn't make much difference I guess. Either way I have plenty of money for good gear so that's not really a concern.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
your wallet will be very seriously injured when you crash the thing. Infact, it'd probably be more seriously injured than you.

And you will. In all likelihood. Crash it.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
If money is a concern for you, avoid the Ducati unless you're planning on turning your own wrenches. The valve adjustments can be pretty expensive. On the new models it's not so bad, they're up to the same intervals as the Japanese, but the old models needed the valves done every 6 to 7 thousand miles.

IMO, go for the CBR over the Kawi just for the fuel injection alone.

Don't worry about getting bored with the 250 power. I've owned liter bikes, and currently ride an 800, yet I still love taking my girlfriend's little 500cc Buell (Which makes less power than those 250s) out to zip around on because it's really fun. Bikes are fun, don't worry about how much power you've got until you know how to use it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
222 Posts
It seems you understand what you need to do, and it is start small. The small bikes retain their value because there are people like you who start riding every year and go through this. There's a ton of 250's in the NJ area that are cheap, you also don't need the newest latest one, just get one that works, this way you can learn on it, drop it a few times, and move on to the Duc you really want.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Besides which, once you learn to ride your bike preferences might change. You might decide a Monster doesn't give you what you want anyway. It's your money, but if I were you I'd go with a cheap used 250 or 500. In a year you'll be able to get your money back from it and be prepared to make a wiser decision on a long term bike.

Reactions: PhilB

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
You could get an EX500. they have a decent shot of power.

Reactions: PhilB

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Besides which, once you learn to ride your bike preferences might change. You might decide a Monster doesn't give you what you want anyway. It's your money, but if I were you I'd go with a cheap used 250 or 500. In a year you'll be able to get your money back from it and be prepared to make a wiser decision on a long term bike.
This is a good point. My first bike was a cruiser I got for $2k, I decided I didn't like cruisers and got something else. Luckily I didn't buy a nice one for my first and I lost no money on it.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
If money is a concern for you, avoid the Ducati unless you're planning on turning your own wrenches. The valve adjustments can be pretty expensive. On the new models it's not so bad, they're up to the same intervals as the Japanese, but the old models needed the valves done every 6 to 7 thousand miles.

IMO, go for the CBR over the Kawi just for the fuel injection alone.

Don't worry about getting bored with the 250 power. I've owned liter bikes, and currently ride an 800, yet I still love taking my girlfriend's little 500cc Buell (Which makes less power than those 250s) out to zip around on because it's really fun. Bikes are fun, don't worry about how much power you've got until you know how to use it.

so the 250 makes over 35hp, when did that happen?

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
then there is no way it made 38 bhp. that's a 33% loss through a fricking bike driveline.

1990s slushbox 4x4 trucks don't have that kind of driveline loss.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
so the 250 makes over 35hp, when did that happen?
Kawasaki claims the 250 makes about 37hp, Buell claimed the Blast makes 34hp. I'm assuming these are both at the crank. This Buell I'm taking about is also about 13 years old and is a total pile of shit, I ride it WFO everywhere I go on it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I think I'm probably going to have to wind up buying from a dealer, craigslist fucking sucks. Everyone either flakes out on actually showing you the bike or it turns out they lost the title or other fishy sounding crap. No wonder these same bikes are posted constantly for months at a time.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Well I think I'm probably going to have to wind up buying from a dealer, craigslist fucking sucks. Everyone either flakes out on actually showing you the bike or it turns out they lost the title or other fishy sounding crap. No wonder these same bikes are posted constantly for months at a time.
I truly hope you dont resort to that. I've bought my last 4 bikes plus misc gear/parts/accessories over C/L without a hiccup. Turned a couple of those bikes around and sold 'em on C/L a few years after, all pleasant experiences.

You're behind the 8-ball as it is buying this time of year. Get the most bike for your $$ from a private seller. Unless you're buying new that is, but I dont sense thats the case.

·
Registered
380 Posts
back to first question
as an experienced Ducati owner, I would NOT suggest any Ducati as a first bike just for economic reasons. Cost of maintenance,repair of broken parts, etc.
All of this could give the new rider a bad taste for motorcycling.
A good 250 or similar bike is the best choie for all the reasons stated before

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just get a 250 and be done with it. Even if you are careful and dont crash it, Ducatis arent all that reliable.
Get a CBR 250 or Ninja 250/300; ride it for a year or 2 until you feel confident on it and then get whatever bike you want.

·
Registered
24 Posts
What model of Ducati do you actually want? because from reading your first post, it seems like you just want an old monster because of the logo on the gas tank? IMHO for your first bike just get something cheap and easy to ride, spend a bunch of time riding, then buy your favorite Ducati of all time. I too eventually want a 998/996 or an 851/888
but I wont even start looking at them until I have a few more years experience on various other sportbikes, for the sole fact that it would break my heart to dump a dream bike and write it off due to lack of experience, which is exactly what I did for my first road bike, and it was the worst feeling ever.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts