Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i want the official word on what chicken strips are. Some people are under the impression that

a) when you remove the greasy residue that came on the tire that you have removed your chicken strips.

as you can see in this very old picture :D its 1 inch thick



or

b) when you remove the grooved area at the end of the tire that you have removed your chicken strips




So whats the official word? A or B?
 

·
#1 Gear Nazi
Joined
·
4,748 Posts
B would be successfully removed chicken strips.

A would be a picture of actual chicken strips.

I've always went by the definition that chicken strips are the unused portion of the tire. "Chickens" (see also Squids) won't use the side of the tires because they don't get deep into corners.

But, chicken strips can also be found on commuter bikes, because they do alot more straight line riding. But ya gotta scrub the side of those tires in the mountains every once in a while!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,272 Posts
I have a little bit less than 1/8 of an inch of chicken strips on both sides. I don't really think I should be pushing myself any quicker than that on the street just to use up the rest of that very tiny space I haven't used.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
firefighter81 said:
B would be successfully removed chicken strips.

A would be a picture of actual chicken strips.

I've always went by the definition that chicken strips are the unused portion of the tire. "Chickens" (see also Squids) won't use the side of the tires because they don't get deep into corners.

But, chicken strips can also be found on commuter bikes, because they do alot more straight line riding. But ya gotta scrub the side of those tires in the mountains every once in a while!

so is it residue or grooves?
 

·
what R you lookin' at?
Joined
·
5,313 Posts
IllKneeGrow said:
I have a little bit less than 1/8 of an inch of chicken strips on both sides. I don't really think I should be pushing myself any quicker than that on the street just to use up the rest of that very tiny space I haven't used.
nothing wrong w/ that. it's when you have 1-2" of untouched tire on the side.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,272 Posts
Yeah I see more than a few people around here that have tires like that. My friend joe bought a used bike off of this kid that had chicken strips that were over an inch big. The kid he bought it from said they were "new" tires but the middle of the tire seemed a little worn out maybe from doing burnouts or something of that nature.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RACER X said:
nothing wrong w/ that. it's when you have 1-2" of untouched tire on the side.......
residue

AEgeus said:
It's the unused portion of your tires. It doesn't matter if there's residue or grooves.
thread


........................

so i guess this debate will never end .. i guess it can be ither or
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
501 Posts
it's A

some tires come with only grooves toward the middle of the tire and none at the sides so that there is more contact area when leaned over. so just checking for grooves on the side of a tire can be misleading. having chicken strips is a good thing on the street cause it shows you leave some margin for error. of course this is subjective and you need to decide if the strips were left because the person can't lean, or because the person is a safe rider.
 

·
old member
Joined
·
13,079 Posts
MaxOwner said:
residue



thread


........................

so i guess this debate will never end .. i guess it can be ither or
I think you're missing the point. Chikcen strips are the "unused" portions of the sides of the tires. It may vary from 0" (hard cornering, no chicken strips) to 2" (only commuting, stunting, no hard cornering, "max" chicken strips). If you never take corners with any lean angle, both the residue and full tread will still be there. If you corner hard with full lean like at the track, both the residue will be gone and the tread will be worn out to the edge of the tire.
 

·
#1 Gear Nazi
Joined
·
4,748 Posts
Ummmmmm, ok, what are you asking/stating with these pictures? :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
from the second set of pictures it looks like th rider is right ahnd dominent. Some leaning to the near edge. Looks as though the rider has gotten over that far by accident a couple of time.

T
 

·
rectal rooter
Joined
·
482 Posts
i usually have about a 1/2 inch on a tire since i commute in Florida, until the trip up to georgia is made. then those suckers are gone an about 20 mins!
 

·
#1 Gear Nazi
Joined
·
4,748 Posts
I started developing some minor strips but found some nice roads that you can see all the way through the corner and went for a couple knee dragging sessions. Also just to let you know, this is a 190 rear tire, it SUCKS, it doesn't like to get deep at all, it fights me the whole way down :angry
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
remember, some tires are easier to get to the edge than others. so though you might have small strips on one brand of tires, you might have no strips on a different brand.
 
1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Top