Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I start it and it doesnt run... simple as that. It ran smooth and fine but I didnt drive it for two weeks. So i decided to start it yesterday .

Well, it will start and stuff but as soon as you let off the throttle, it dies...

if I turn the choke all the way to low, THAN i can let it idle, but it idles at 2,200 rpms. And if I turn the choke off...it dies. It's not that it needs warming up becuase I'll rev it and hold it for 5 minutes. It just keeps dying!

So i dont know why it does that.

Can anyone help?!?!?! thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had the same problem yesterday!

Hello,

I'm sorry that I can't help you, but I had the same problem that you speak of yesterday morning. My bike has also been sitting for a couple weeks. I started it up, let it warm up for a while with the choke on and went to ride down the alley to go to work. I couldn't get it about 6K RPMs, it would rev up then stall out. A few seconds later it wouldn't run at all.

This morning I was able to start it with the choke wide open, couldn't even rev it though, shut off after about a minute.

Please let me know if you find a solution. I will do likewise.

Do you think the fuel line may have gotten clogged from sitting? I have never had this problem before.

BTW, I have a 98 F3 with 28K Miles on it.

Good Luck,
Nate

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Nate! This is the first time it has happened to me also. I am not sure what could be the cause of the problem. I've had it sitting for months and never had this problem. It is always garaged. If I find a solution I will be sure to let you know.

Thanks Nate.

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
Check three things off the bat.

F3's use fuel pumps so I would look at that to see if its cycling. Next check the screen on the pet cock. You have to dump the fuel and pull out the whole tap. A screen is over the tube and may be clogged.

Then of course we have the crappy fuel that is circulating these days with the "oil shortage" which may have led to the pilots getting gummed up on you. That means carb clean time.

Good luck guys!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Holy cow. F3's are all dying. I'm having the same problem. Weird. Someone said to check to ignition coils and regulators. I'll do that and see if that fixes the problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Regulator

It's possible that its the regulator but i'd be suprised if thats the problem (atleast in my case) I just replaced my original regulator last year with one of the newer ones that has a heat sink (I even used thermal grease for computer CPUs). The symptoms for that were different though. It would run fine until the battery drained the whole way. I am not having any problems with my batter right now.

I haven't had a chance to play around with it yet. But i'm hoping for the best, maybe its just some clogged fuel :)

Let me know what you guys find out with your bikes. It is definately wierd though. I thought I'd come on here to see if anyone else had the same problem and it was the post at the top of the list....strange.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I dumped the gas last weekend and pulled the tap and the screen filter was fine. I will also try replacing the fuel filter.

Also, what's the easiest way to tell if the fuel pump is cycling? Sorry for the newb question.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks! That's exactly what I'm going through. Wish I would've seen that earlier before I took my bike apart! :lao

I'll check it out to see if that'll fix it. Now to get a fuel pump...

·
Registered
15 Posts
fuel pump

what year is your bike? There are two for sale on e-bay right now. One ends in 15 mins... :( I just got one a few hours ago. My bike is a 98. If for some reason that doesn't do the trick for me and you still need one i'd be happy to transfer it to you.

Kinda wierd that there are so many of us having this same problem. I had my regulator fail last year, this is the only other thing thats gone wrong so far. I have about 25k on my bike.

As soon as I get the pump i'm gonna replace it, i'll let you know how it turns out. I'm also replacing my plugs.

·
Registered
125 Posts
nsgood82 said:
what year is your bike? There are two for sale on e-bay right now. One ends in 15 mins... :( I just got one a few hours ago. My bike is a 98. If for some reason that doesn't do the trick for me and you still need one i'd be happy to transfer it to you.

Kinda wierd that there are so many of us having this same problem. I had my regulator fail last year, this is the only other thing thats gone wrong so far. I have about 25k on my bike.

As soon as I get the pump i'm gonna replace it, i'll let you know how it turns out. I'm also replacing my plugs.
Mine's a 97, so it should fit. When will you get it? I need to get one soon, because it's killing me to see the bike just sitting there! I was just thinking of getting one from ronayers.com for $110.

·
Registered
1 Posts
p nut said:
Mine's a 97, so it should fit. When will you get it? I need to get one soon, because it's killing me to see the bike just sitting there! I was just thinking of getting one from ronayers.com for $110.
I had the same prob and replaced mine with a $25 advanced auto one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Any Luck?

Did any of you guys fix your bikes yet? I just installed a new (slightly used) fuel pump. Still isn't starting. I'm gonna give it a try again in a few minutes. Looks like fuel is getting to the carbs though, cause fuel drained out of the line after I gave it a few tries.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Welp, my bike runs now. Fuel Pump did the job. It runs too good... now my clutch will not engage, pull the clutch in, tire keeps spinnin.....what is going on?!? I tried to tighten up my cable but that didn't do anything. I'm gonna look around/start a new thread for that problem... Good luck on your bikes.

·
Ghost GTO
1,609 Posts
nsgood - Glad to hear your bike is running. Do you mind telling me if you smelt anything weird BEFORE you did the fuel pump change? Also, did your bike not run completely? or did it run when ur choke was set to low but would shut off when u changed the choke? My bike is having the same problem, but the thing is there is this weird odor and also, it will run on low choke but will shut off on high choke so it is not driveable.

Thank you

·
Registered
15 Posts
It actually is not running anymore :( I had a false start if you will... Come to think of it, I think I did smell something. Not sure what though. Do not continue running your bike with the choke on, that will only complicate things. I swapped out my fuel pump, the bike started but when I went to ride it down the road it had the same problem as it did before.

In addition to that problem, I noticed that gas got into my oil (not sure exactly how, i have some ideas...the extensive choking is one of them) which caused my clutch to not disengage. I replaced the oil and that fixed the clutch. Other people have suggested that I have a float stuck open or that my carbs need cleaned.

Either way, I am having the shop look at it this week. I'll let you know what I find out.

good luck,
Nate

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey thanks a lot for the help Nate. Someone suggested the carbs cleaned to me also. How much does that cost do you know? I'm not sure if I should replace the fuel pump or not...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts