Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
Greg from Ca here...I have been riding a 01 yamaha fz1 for 4 years now. Well, as fate would have it, this was it's last year. Truck over double yellow line in a hair pin down-hill turn made sure of that. It's a TOTAL Jim!... $7,500.00 to repair a bike that was only worth $6,000.00? I do not think so.

So here I sit with a law-suit and no bike. However i did get $5860.00 for my FZ1. I miss her :( Anyhow.... My question is this....Answer if you can, or if your riding style is the same as mine. I enjoy Twisties, Open ROAD, Hills, weekend rides mostly. I do not ride it to work much, only 7 miles to and from my job, so i take the cage.I am not interested in "KICKING ASS" on the roads.. What I wish to get is a bike that 1: Will OPEN up on the flat open roads. 2: Will handle the Twisties to a degree of Peg Eating, but i don't drag puck much. 3: A bike that will last me 5-8 years with not alot of maint' issues. 4: A bike i can "Mod-Up" with out breaking the bank, i am so not rich. 5: Sit UP riding, not into the Bent Over New back style....

I enjoy riding, This accident has "tried to take my passion away" (EDIT). I can not see my future without a bike. The wife has other ideas, like..take up basket weaving, kite flying? WTH woman! However, the FZ1 was alot of bike for the type of riding that I did and do, and I really do not wish to spend $8,599.00 + the $3k in mods I had on my old fz1.

Will the FZ6 fill my old FZ1's Shoes? I do not care about "HorsePower", or how "FAST" I can go... I care about RIDING and having a GOOD TIME doing so, on a bike I can rely on. I miss my FZ1, She was a good Ride...But it is time to Move on....and get back in the saddle once my "Broken Collar Bone" heals.
Thanks Guys,
Sorry for the Long Winded Question. :cheers

Greg "Coderz"
X-Fz1 Owner

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
i would bet the fz6 would provide you with all that and then some. forget basket weaving :lao, that cracked me up. sorry to hear about your off, hope you heal up quickly.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I think the FZ6 would serve you well. Comfortable and the bike is definitely a rush over 8 grand. Put a pipe on it and its a 600 sleeper with attitude!
I stayed awy from the big blocks just because its TOO easy to speed.
With my FZ6 I speed just a little less... :eek:nfloor :lao

·
Registered
910 Posts
R6.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
First off, yeah! for not being taken out with the bike, and keeping on riding! (I assume you meant to say "...NOT taken my passion away." I think you'll find the the FZ6 is plenty-o-fun in the twisties, and for commuting if you want. And the little woman might be somewhat reassured by the lower displacement. (Don't let her look at the spec sheet!) Read a few of the ride reports in here, you'll see what I mean. We have riders who are on their first sporty rides (like me) and people who've had all sorts of hotties. I'd say most the people who've reported disliking the bike were squid who were suffering from TSB and needed public acknowledgement of their big balls.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fuss Bomb:
Thanks and yes, i edited my comment. "Tried to take my passion away!"
Yes, from what I have read on this bike(fz6) it will do what I want...But hearing it from Fellow Riders makes me feel even better..... Yeah I got Lucky? Was not my time to go? LOL i do not know...All I do know, it has been 3 weeks, and i am ready to GET back on a bike...Now, if the body would just heal! lol.... thanks Guys! Great Group HERE....

·
Sperm bank loan officer
375 Posts
The FZ6 is a great street bike.Up till a few weeks ago I have been riding 600cc supersports (CBR/R6) on the street (10 years). I still have my R6 for track duty . IMO the FZ6 more than capable for even fast pace street riding and it does it all with out hurting the wallet to much. A friend of mine bought a FZ1 cause his R1 was to much for the street. We often switch bikes on our rides and he loves my FZ6. It really is great bike and I think anyone who rides motorcycles would enjoy one.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bulldogr6,
Thanks, good deal. I was thinking of going to strickly a track bike. Getting a R6 for that purpose. However, the track day cost alone would bust me within a few months! LOL..... Thanks for the Input, Nice to know a FZ1 guy Enjoys the FZ6, I am sure "I" will Too.......

·
It's made of people!
455 Posts
The FZ6 is my first street bike and I love it. I have some friends that ride larger cc bikes...Z1000 and stuff and they all love the FZ6. Even when I'm out cruising other riders check it out and are really impressed with it.

I don't think you will have any complaints about it. It's well balanced, comfortable, fast, agile, large spectrum of uses but most of all... she's a hell of a lot of fun to ride.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Greg.:)

The Fz1 has more torque, but quite heavy compared to the 6. The Fz6 is more flickable and much easier to corner than the 1.

Speed and torque is more than what you will need for riding in public and unless you actually plan on racing, anything more is just way too much of an overkill. The Fz6 is fairly new and not yet tested for longevity, but considering the fact that the recommended check/adjustment of the bike's valves clearances are specfied at every 26,600 miles of use is an indication that the engine might outlast everything else on the bike if taken cared of properly.

I hope you heal well and soon.

Greg here, too:)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Damn_Yankee said:
The FZ6 is my first street bike and I love it. I have some friends that ride larger cc bikes...Z1000 and stuff and they all love the FZ6. Even when I'm out cruising other riders check it out and are really impressed with it.

I don't think you will have any complaints about it. It's well balanced, comfortable, fast, agile, large spectrum of uses but most of all... she's a hell of a lot of fun to ride.

Thank you! that is the input i need....off to the stealership i go today! they got a blue one....i need to go sit on it ...and take notes. Thanks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
segue00 said:
Welcome to the forum, Greg.:)

The Fz1 has more torque, but quite heavy compared to the 6. The Fz6 is more flickable and much easier to corner than the 1.

Speed and torque is more than what you will need for riding in public and unless you actually plan on racing, anything more is just way too much of an overkill. The Fz6 is fairly new and not yet tested for longevity, but considering the fact that the recommended check/adjustment of the bike's valves clearances are specfied at every 26,600 miles of use is an indication that the engine might outlast everything else on the bike if taken cared of properly.

I hope you heal well and soon.

Greg here, too:)

Thank You, Sounds like the bike is what i should have bought in the first place...even tho back in 01 they were not in the states yet...LOL. I hope to be here full time, as the interest in the FZ6 keeps growing.
Thank You for the Input and the kind words.....

·
Registered
910 Posts
Hey, good luck with the clavicle. What legal consequences if any did the at-fault driver suffer?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Damn_Yankee said:

she's a hell of a lot of fun to ride <----- that's the ticket!!!!! Thanks for the Input.... I like what i am hearing :)......

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Eyespy said:
Hey, good luck with the clavicle. What legal consequences if any did the at-fault driver suffer?

As of now, it is in my Lawyers hands...I have no idea "yet" Only been 3 weeks and yanno how Insurance Companies are...SLOW. CHP Report was written up sloppy, so It can go either way...But Lawyer says "WE" have a solid case..so we see...I have a Witness...Will keep it posted. He did cross the double yellow, and i did impact his truck, get this...NO DAMAGE to his truck, totalled my FZ1. Some pics are in my Gallery..... I do not remember anything, other than Truck, Yellow lines, and BAM! Wakin' up on the rear of a fire truck...... Sucks.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Wow, heavy.

I have yet to hear of an CHP report that was written up as the witnesses recall. And the local news here pretty much just reads off the police report. Examples:

1. Rider struck in chest by football sized falling rock, dies or passes out immediately and crashes into hwy divider, witnessed by her husband. Both were riding safety instructors. Reported: Rider lost control on road debris and dies by hitting the divider.

2. Late at night, rider struck by cage, who runs. Hit and run driver turned herself in a week later. Reported: Rider looses control in construction zone at night, excessive speed or alcahol being investigated.

Lesson: get your witness to write up a totally complete report ASAP!!! You need them to recall every detail they can, such as everyone's position and speed, events immediately before and after.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fuzz Bomb said:
Wow, heavy.

Lesson: get your witness to write up a totally complete report ASAP!!! You need them to recall every detail they can, such as everyone's position and speed, events immediately before and after.

YES! I have done that, the witness just so happens to be a guy who was 25 feet bihind me on his own bike, and went down as a result of the accident. Chp has me at fault, unsafe speed, posted speed limit 55, i was going 25-30mph in right turn, he has me going 35-40. No Clue... I sent in a change for the report, but who knows if they will update it. Problem is truck was over yellow, how can i be at fault? makes no sense to anyone i speak too, so I got a Lawyer involved. He rides too, so that's a +.

Thanks for the advice...and the report is bogus, problem is, it points me to be the cause, and my insurance company has the report...that might hurt.

Anyhow... thanks!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Ugh. Sounds way too familiar. Good luck, I hope your judge rides too! :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts