Sport Bikes banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i been hearing from a lot of people, the 250 is best to start for a beginning rider, but the 500 i hear is a good starter bike as well...wtf?? which do i go with? i plan to pay for the bike in full when i buy it so i was lookin at the 250...but i know i will like the 500 more ...i need some help. Any sugguestions? Also i have very little riding experience, i have only been on one bike, and thats a cbr 600 and that was just to rev and to say i sat on one =). That was my friends though and thats his first bike. So i have no clue which one i should pick taking into consideration my cash flow and lack of skills. I also dont want to be really limited with the 250. Please help !!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh yes and i have scheduled my MSF class here in cali! its a steep 150 for 16+ but at 30+ its 180...ouch. But anyway that will be my riding experience once I finish the class and then i will purchase my bike...

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Get the 250 to learn on. I think you're probably going to want to upgrade to a b***** badder supersport like your buddy's eventually whether you get the 250 or the 500, so with this in mind get the one that is most forgiving for the first couple of years of riding. Oh and buy the bike used, spend lots of $$ on riding gear.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
after all i seen and heard i aint goin near a 600, 500 is pushin it for me but i still cant decide between 250/500...anyone else got some words of wisdom for an aspiring rider?

·
Registered
968 Posts
I rode a 250r for about six months (borrowed) before picking up a '91 EX500. I think I'm a better rider for it. The 250 or the 500 hold their value pretty well. Find one used either way you go.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I think either of the two will make an excellent choice for a beginner...if you have any time at all on a bike, consider the 500 over the 250....otherwise, I dont' think you can go wrong either way.....a complete noob may find the weight difference between teh two quite significant, and may find the 250 much easier to maneuver...on the other hand, many do say that to extract power out of the 250, one must keep the revs really high, which can be disconcerting.....I've got the 500 and love it so far...plenty o power, and i've only got it up to 6,000 rpm (i'm still in the break in period) Good luck on ur choice.

·
Registered
549 Posts
You said the 500 might be "pushing it" but I don't think that's the case at all. It accelerates faster than the 250 and top speed is about 20mph higher, but throttle response and brakes are still quite forgiving. I don't think your much more likely to get into trouble with the 500 than you would be with the 250.

They're both great bikes. Get the one you like better and have fun.

·
Registered
681 Posts
GET the 250, from your apprehension about the 500, you'll be better off.

·
Registered
981 Posts
if ur not 100% about the 500, get the 250. i started on my 500 and am still loving it. after u take the MSF course tho, u may feel different about the 500, i did.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts