Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love all the feedback I've been getting from the forum. I have one more quick question without me diving into random unnecessary information.

2001 GSXR 750
No Scuffs or scratches
All maintenance paper work.
Friend of a Friend
25,000 miles
$3000

Good deal?
Bad deal?
Too many miles for the next 3 years I could be riding it? I use my current bike as my daily driver. This would take it's place.
I need the leaned over position for back comfort. upright position kills my back.
Thank You Again :)

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
1998 is was the first year for fuel injection in the GSXR. In 2000, they gained secondary butterflies and tranny* problems.

Personally, I'd take a 1996/1997 with carbs over a 2000 - 2003 750. Just my personal bad experience with my 2000.

1998/1999 fuel injection was noted for being not exactly rider-friendly.

* transmission, not the kind of hitchhikers Eddie Murphy picks up.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
It's a great bike. No opinion on the price as I don't know your area.

As for carbs vs FI. Nothing wrong with carbs, except they require a bit more maintenance. I had a '97 750 with carbs, properly jetted, that ran far smoother than my friend's '98 750 with FI and a PC. In fact, that was the smoothest fueling bike I've ever had.

·
Registered
971 Posts
25K is nothing miles wise. And that's low for an 01 IMO. Only thing I'd worry about is if it had been stunted or used a lot for wheelies/stoppies. I seem to recall there being a problem with the head tube welds of that generation with heavy stunting. If there are no scuffs or scratches, it's the original paint and the fork seals aren't leaking, it's likely not been beaten on.

Edit: Pricewise, 3K for a clean 01 is a good deal down here.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So....... Should I expect this bike to last me as long as an F4i ? Like the guy in this forum with 250000? Or maybe a year or two. Maybe with only 30,000 miles left on it. Lets assume it's in very good condition. I know for a fact it hasn't been stunted or modded. He still has the stock exhaust installed

·
Registered
971 Posts
IMO there's no reason it will not last you as long as an F4i. There's no reason to think that engine will go belly up at 50/60K miles.

Stock exhaust tells you something in my experience. Chances are that bike's been taken care of, and it wasn't bought by the current owner to wring out. Most likely it's completely stock. That's a pretty rare find for a used sportbike, especially a GSXR 750.

So if it feels right ergo wise, I say buy it. Down here you won't find an F4i in that condition for that price. It's a fine bike at a great price based on what you described.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm waiting to be contacted. Hopefully I can see the bike this Sunday. Anything else I should look for or know about? I'd like this bike to last me a good while. Very excited but at the same time I'm pretty hesitant.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Check what your insurance will be ahead of time. It'll be more than the 250, but it shouldn't be too bad given the age. I think my supersport insurance usually drops significantly once the model is over 4 or 5 years old.

Make sure they have the title and that it is clean. If there was a lien on it, make sure they have the right documentation showing the loan was paid off (depending on the state, this is either written right on the title, or it is a separate letter that the lien holder signs saying the loan was paid).

Check the tires, not only for tread wear but also for dry rot. If the bike hasn't been ridden much of late (it's possible those miles were put on in the first 2-3 years), the tires may have good tread, but dry rot/cracks in the sidewall.

Check the service records and see when the last oil change, coolant change, spark plug change, and air filter change happened. I'd be inclined to change all the fluids, the plugs, and the filter immediately unless they were done in the last 12 months. Don't run it hard until you do change the fluids (keep the revs under 6k), unless it's been ridden and maintained within the last 12 months.

Once the fluids and plugs are changed, and you are sure the tires are good, ride it like you stole it.

Edit: may as well change the fork oil too if it hasn't been done in the last few years.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Check what your insurance will be ahead of time. It'll be more than the 250, but it shouldn't be too bad given the age. I think my supersport insurance usually drops significantly once the model is over 4 or 5 years old.

Make sure they have the title and that it is clean. If there was a lien on it, make sure they have the right documentation showing the loan was paid off (depending on the state, this is either written right on the title, or it is a separate letter that the lien holder signs saying the loan was paid).

Check the tires, not only for tread wear but also for dry rot. If the bike hasn't been ridden much of late (it's possible those miles were put on in the first 2-3 years), the tires may have good tread, but dry rot/cracks in the sidewall.

Check the service records and see when the last oil change, coolant change, spark plug change, and air filter change happened. I'd be inclined to change all the fluids, the plugs, and the filter immediately unless they were done in the last 12 months. Don't run it hard until you do change the fluids (keep the revs under 6k), unless it's been ridden and maintained within the last 12 months.

Once the fluids and plugs are changed, and you are sure the tires are good, ride it like you stole it.

Edit: may as well change the fork oil too if it hasn't been done in the last few years.
Thanks alot. Ill use this as a semi-checklist. Ill let you guys know if I buy it this Sunday. If I do I'll post pictures. Thanks alot guys! Appreciate it

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can only go and see the bike on Sunday. He sold the bike to someone else ughhhhhh.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts