Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with the confirmation of a new bike this season (tax returns, raises and a reliable truck finally, OH MY!) I've been looking into what to buy.

Upon considering the riding I do most often, I've kinda fallen into the "sport tourer" idea, with a lean toward sport.

so far the thing that catches my eye most is the 90s VFR. from the 93 to the 99, I like em. little heavy compared to my SV, but I think I can live with it.
they are available for decent prices, all year round, without much fluctuation.

now I have never sat on one, but I'd imagine it'd be comparable or more comfortable than my SV. gotta find out for sure though.

now, the real question is, is Honda the only one to offer this kind of bike? I thought of the Katana, but damn those things are ugly.
other ideas?

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Triumph Sprint
1st gen ZX-14; identical ergos, 7 lbs more, twice the horsepower.

KeS
Now I'm gonna sound like an inconsiderate and picky bastard by shooting those down because they both put down significantly more power than the ~100bhp VFR. which is already a jump from my SV, which i rode 2 full seasons ago. heh.

neither of them are available for 4 grand either. :D

that said, a sprint is on my list for later in life.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts

KeS
ZX14 is actually more aggressive than a VFR. You can see by how much on this site.

Motorcycle Ergonomics Well, that and I've ridden both. Even the Blackbird is more aggressive than the VFR...

OP: The VFR generations you'd be interested in are the 750 (94 - 97) and 800 (same as 750, but with FI and a few more cc's) made during 98 to 01. 2002 and later are the V-tech generation. No gear driven cams, either, but a better stiffer frame and arguable better instrument cluster and looks, subjective, I know.

Other sub 4000 sport tourer or 'can-be-made-to-sport tour' (which really, anything can) are

Suzuki SV1000
Aprilia Futura
Aprilia Falco
Kawasaki ZZR 1200
Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
Yamaha FZ1
Kawasaki Z1000
Daytona 955i/595
Daytona Sprint RS
Suzuki Bandit 1200

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
(shrug) Never anything wrong with a viffer, then.

KeS
Not really. just seeing if I have any other options that are comparable. and Akumu has provided.
except there is no way I'm finding an Ape *anything* for less than 4 grand around here. I don't even think there is more than one Aprillia dealer in my province!
SV1Ks are about 4500 dollars. I've always kept em in mind.
there is an 04 Z1000 in burnt orange for 4 grand even in calgary. fine lookin machine.

also totally didn't know the 98-01 VFRs had fuel injection, I thoguht that came in 02 with the vtec mill.
wicked.

The Sprint RS, not the ST.

The one that looks like this, with the 955 motor. You can get these under $4k all day:

I'll have a look around for one. looks. . .odd. like a 1gen SV and an older daytona had a lovechild. I kinda like it.
and LO, there's a yellow sprint RS for 4200 in Calgary. Comes with a full set of soft bags, anyway. not bad.

·
Registered
848 Posts

KeS
and twice the insurance. :lol

there aren't many that can do what that gen of VFR can, for the same cost as buying one.

i hope to get another 6th gen some day. miss it a lot

·
Registered
971 Posts
You want the 98 - 2001 generation VFR. I remember when it came out, it was a fantastic machine. I think it won bike of the year from several magazines that first year. The 98 redesign was when they brought back the "Interceptor" nameplate. There was no other bike in its class.

Wrong bike - YouTube

One other option would be a Ducati ST4. Those are hard to find though. (Honestly I don't see the VFR much around here.)

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
I thought you were leaning super moto?

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I was, till I was cautioned that something like a DRZ isn't gonna comfortably do 75-85mph down the highway.
now I could go get an aprilia with a 75hp mill behind it, but I dunno what the gearing is like.

upon consulting someone I know (who has been trying to get me to buy his 07? 600RR) who owns one, and having him confirm that they aren't really highway machines, I leaned away from that and back toward what I wanted before.
something that i can have a little fun with, that isn't massively heavy or overpowered, and that will run down the highway all day and not kill me.

and so far, the 98-01 VFR is kinda the way to go.

I still wouldn't mind a supermoto or dual sport kitted out for winter. :D

·
Registered
127 Posts
Kawasaki ZX-9R, 2001+, preferably 2002-03 (F) model. It was the end of the line of a fast, relatively comfortable and even practical sport bike line.

Around 470 lbs wet, 125 or so HP at the rear tire, range of 180 miles give or take 20, easily bought for less than $4K.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
guy in town has a burgundy/brown one.

hated every moment I spent on it when he insisted I try it out, while he hooned on my little SV (which was the only 1gen SV in town, to give an idea of the bike scene here).

was right up there with the 97 YZF750 I rode. terribad.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I have had a 500 and a 750. Almost had a 2002 800 (Last of the gear driven cams.)
Two things;
1st is that single side swingarm. I LIKE fooling around with my Bike! I normally burn Sat. Morn Washing, lubing, tightening, etc. I enjoy it almost as much as riding. Non of that with a VFR. Put gas in the sucker and ride through a puddle ever now and then. When it was time for tires I took it to the stealership. With a sack full of money and a fresh tube of K-Y Jelly.

When you are going over the barrel, might as well be prepared:explosive

2nd is milage. People ride the dog5hit out of them. With a normal touring bike (bagger) figure 12 to 15K per year. 20 seemed to be the number for those I looked at. That '02 I looked at last November had something like 160,000 miles on it. Too many for me.
You might want to try some dealers and see what they have left in a crate.
IIRC, they just re-did the VFR, with a larger engine and more techy stuff.
I seem to remember that the '08 to '10 800's didn't sell very well.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the one I'm looking at the most has 30,000km on it.

services involving the swingarm aren't a big deal. despite not owning a bike I have a few connections. I like the fucking thing too much anyway.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I was, till I was cautioned that something like a DRZ isn't gonna comfortably do 75-85mph down the highway.
now I could go get an aprilia with a 75hp mill behind it, but I dunno what the gearing is like.

upon consulting someone I know (who has been trying to get me to buy his 07? 600RR) who owns one, and having him confirm that they aren't really highway machines, I leaned away from that and back toward what I wanted before.
something that i can have a little fun with, that isn't massively heavy or overpowered, and that will run down the highway all day and not kill me.

and so far, the 98-01 VFR is kinda the way to go.

I still wouldn't mind a supermoto or dual sport kitted out for winter. :D
I own a Suzuki DL1000. It's marketed as somewhat a dual sport, but it's really a street bike. The DL1000 or DL650 might be what you are looking for.

The bike is fantastic on the highway. There are alot of touring options for it. I have mine currently set up with a GPS, Givi Top Case, and Side Cases. The bike sits you in a very comfortable position for long rides. I have it wired for heat, and it has enough power output to run a full suit in the winter. I've taken several bikes on 6 hour road trips (F4i, Hayabusa, Road King, Sportster and the DL1000) and it is hands down the best for comfort. It also gets incredible gas mileage.

And the bike is very sporty. I'm not a speed demon, I usually find myself riding within 10mph of the posted limit, and this bike does that with ease and have handling capability to spare.

Lastly, the bike is fuck all stable and confidence inspiring. Because it is set up as a street weighted dual sport, it is rock solid on a variety of surfaces. Interstate, cobblestone, country highway, gravel road, this bike can do it and never let you down. If you like touring on a motorcycle, I think you'll find this pretty important, because you're inevitably going to hit a shitty road, gravel, bridge grating, or potholes. The V-Strom is an amazing all around street bike.

It isn't as pretty or as sexy as a full fairing sport bike, but it is absolutely a rider's machine.

·
Lickalotapuss
2,859 Posts
In that price range and looking for sport touring, it's tough to beat (and I also have a zx-14, they feel so different!).

I can't speak to that entire list above, but feel the vfr (5th gen) is going to be peppier than the Triumphs in that price range.

I cannot say enough good things about the vfr. It does everything I want and does it with very little compromise.

The only thing I don't like is the SSSA is hidden by the exhaust. I haven't found any of the services to require bags of cash and vasoline. I've owned it approx 4 years, 20,000 miles when I bought it, 44,000 now.

On that list, the one that peaks my interest because of the blackbird, but the ones I see are a bit more $$ and much harder to find.

The ninja 1200 might also be a good bet.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
there are a few Vstroms around me Rob. I'll have a sit and see what I think.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
I can't speak to that entire list above, but feel the vfr (5th gen) is going to be peppier than the Triumphs in that price range.
Acceleration/HP/Quarter Mile/Weight the VFR and the Sprint RS are basically equal. The Triumph gets better fuel mileage by about 4km/lt.

Basically, pick whichever tickles your fancy. I think the VFR looks better.

Triumph* Sprint RS
Motorcycle Specs

1 - 20 of 43 Posts