Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this is my first bike, 1st time rider. I do understand that most bikes have a fuel reserve and i notice that the manual says this bike hold 5.1 US gallons. I have run out of gas once when the last bar on the guages was blinking + 44.7 miles on the "countdown" regardless. When i got to the station ( after pushing for 1 hour ) i filled the bike up .. 4.2 gallons.. WHERE IS THE FRIGGEN fuel reserve nozzle/switch? I seem to have gas in the tank but not sure how and where to switch to reserve or does this bike do it in some other fashion? I have a friend who has ridden for 18 years and he is dumbfounded as well.

stupid question #10003420342.1

·
Registered
108 Posts
There is no switch for reserve, it just tells you it is on reserve when the fuel level drops to a certain point.

I've seen discussion on other boards of tanks not holding the volume claimed by the manufacturer. It has been put down to the manufacturers claim being based on the absolute volume of the tank with nothing mechanical in it. Since most tanks have the fuel pump and other parts inside of them and combined with the fact that it is impossible to get the tank completely full, the actual volume of fuel that can be used is considerably less than claimed.

Assuming the usable quantity of fuel for the FZ6 is 4.2 gallons (based on what you were able to get into an empty tank) and a fuel mileage of about 40 mpg, it is probably wise to not count on a range of more than 150 miles for this bike so we don't end up running it dry. Sorry to hear you had to push it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
eprior said:
There is no switch for reserve, it just tells you it is on reserve when the fuel level drops to a certain point.

I've seen discussion on other boards of tanks not holding the volume claimed by the manufacturer. It has been put down to the manufacturers claim being based on the absolute volume of the tank with nothing mechanical in it. Since most tanks have the fuel pump and other parts inside of them and combined with the fact that it is impossible to get the tank completely full, the actual volume of fuel that can be used is considerably less than claimed.

Assuming the usable quantity of fuel for the FZ6 is 4.2 gallons (based on what you were able to get into an empty tank) and a fuel mileage of about 40 mpg, it is probably wise to not count on a range of more than 150 miles for this bike so we don't end up running it dry. Sorry to hear you had to push it.

i went out yesterday and decided to get some gas cause we were up in the mountains. Had 181 miles on it with 2 bars left.. put in like 2.7-9 gallons cant remember. I constantly get around 225 ish before having to fuel. but its a '05 and i only have like 2500 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
No fuel selector switch on fuel injected bikes, so there's no reserve setting. How far are you filling the tank up? I fill mine until the gas just comes level with the hole at the bottom of the filler neck (don't rely on auto-shutoff). I get almost exactly 4 gallons in there when I fill it up right after the gauge starts flashing. There should be about a gallon left in the "reserve" portion, which seems about right if you got +44 miles on the "reserve" counter.

·
Respect My Authority!
574 Posts
I have never tested my reserve capacity. I usually fuel the bike once the indicator starts blinking. I then fill up the bike and it usually allows me to put 4.1-4.3 gallons into the tank. This would be consistent with the tanks capacity of 5.1 gallons since the reserve is supposed to begin with .95 gallons remaining. This may sound crazy but you should check you speedo and make sure you are using Miles and not Kilometers. I did the math and 181 Kilometers is approximately 112 miles. Based on 2.75 gallons you would be averaging 40 miles per gallon. Additionally 225 kilometers is approximately 140 miles and with a 4.2 gallon fill-up you would have 33 miles per gallon. If you actually went 225 miles on 4.2 gallons you would be averaging 53.5 miles per gallon. I personally average in the neighborhood of 40-43 miles per gallon. I also personally changed the miles to kilometers on the speedo by accident. I didn't figure it out until I was doing 100 and getting passed by soccer moms with ease :rolleyes .

PS. When I fill up I do so with the bike on the centerstand and I fill it up to the bottom of the "cage" in the tank.

·
Registered
108 Posts
gibbler said:
i went out yesterday and decided to get some gas cause we were up in the mountains. Had 181 miles on it with 2 bars left.. put in like 2.7-9 gallons cant remember. I constantly get around 225 ish before having to fuel. but its a '05 and i only have like 2500 miles on it.
Let's see ... 181 mi / 2.8 gal = 64.6 mpg !!! Do you get off and push the bike? I think your display is reading in kilometers - better check that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts