Sport Bikes banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Very informative. My question is, if I am using a semi-synthetic oil now can I switch to a full-synthetic oil regardless of how many kilometers(miles) I have or is it too late?

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can switch at any time. Back and forth if you want to. You can mix them together, too. You just lose some of the benefits of full synthetic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is there any benefits to using one brand of oil over another. Like is Motul really that much better than Mobil 1 or vise versa? I know with cars this topic is very highly debated, I figure it is for bikes too. I trust Mobil 1 for my car. Can I trust it for my bike as well?

Ok just read the posts. I didn't expect them to name names as much as simply tell you why synthetic is so much better than dino oil. Great information for sure. With that said it's that time again so I am going to autozone and getting some Mobil 1.

·
Registered
40 Posts
hey matie, even though it is not deliberate some of the information for switching oils is innnacurate.

there are some bad consequences in switching from synthetic to dino or vice versa after 40K plus mikles on engines.also less than 4k you don;t want to run synthetic because whatever people are sa ying an engine isn;t fully trully boken in till after a few k.

i won't quote the high mileage switching but i will say that i had a 97 civic withh 90k plus that burned oil like a (never mind) . i switched to royal purple synthetic and it burned the oil ilike a protest in Turkey. absolutley horrendous. i reswitched back to dino and the smoking decreses significantly and after that i did some research and after learning the facts 3 years later i decided to share it on this post. you would normally assume synthetic would be the way to go in all cases but in new engines or in this case ones used to normal oil it is not recommended to switch. regards, m..a.d

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^^^
Myth buster! - A great many engines come stock from the factory with synthetic oil. Synthetic oil does not inhibit normal engine break-in.

Switching to synthetic oil late in an engine's life can cause problems if the engine wasn't properly maintained all along.
Engine oil sludge buildup can plug gaps that could be cleaned away when switching to synthetic.

Just because...

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
True, if you are going to synthetic, do it early in the engine life. After a while with conventional oil, grooves that are worn into the cylinder bore fill with the conventional oil to seal it up. If you were to put synthetic in after the bore is scored, the synthetic "washes away" the conventional build-up and will make the engine smoke terribly.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't think so... The myth you're talking about is really about sludge around the engine seals. Synthetic may clean out some of the sludge and stuff in older engines, allowing the synthetic to seep through tiny gaps.

·
Making Horizons Vertical
1,871 Posts
So if i read this correctly, even after all of this testing they still have no idea which is a better oil all around .. Dino or Synthetic?

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, I think you didn't read this correctly... :p

Of course synthetic is better! It just cost more. :cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts