157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
this morning I took the cover off of my bike as usual only to find fresh
oil on the bottom of my rear wheel. The bike was on the centerstand,
the oil was about in the middle section of the rim leaking on the road,
there was quite a bit of it.
I couldn't find where it was coming from, but I am thinking rear brake
maybe? The bike had its first service this saturday...

Anyone else had anything like this happen?

·
Registered
803 Posts
I get a little drip action from the filter area sometimes. Its not a leak though, its excess chain lube flinging off the chain as it goes around the front sproket. It builds up under the cover and then drips once in a while after the engine gets warm.

For you, it sounds like a good investigation is neccessary. You better get down on the ground and see if you can figure out where it is originating. Look close and make sure its not running down the bottom of the swingarm from the engine area. If it does turn out to be your brake...I hope you know the rest.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
investigate quickly...brake fluid does terrible things to plastic/paint...

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Do you have an automatic chain oiler installed?
If not, the only thing that can leak and run like that on the wheel is the brake fluid. I hope they didn't use engine oil on the axle!--:bitchslap

Tough to find good bike mechanics and dealers hire idiots and it scares the heck out of me. On top of that, they charge an arm and a leg together with your left nut. I do my own maintenance 'cept for the first one since I was told that it activates the warranty.

Think of it like parachuters do. I'll fold and bag my own chute. Nobody touches my motorcycle. I'll follow the repair manual and make sure it's done right.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I am not using a chain oiler.
Well, I went to check the bike after 4 hours and there isn't any new
oil on the rim. I am totally confused now, the rear brake works fine,
I will have to check its oil after I get back from work. Also checked
the engine oil and there's it's full.

I am thinking it might have been chain lube that somehow ended
up there.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Did you take a look inside the cover? I had a small pool of oil and gas "spill over" from the relief hoses under the bike. They dripped onto the cover and pooled up a little. I decided it was because it had been hot out. It might have run onto the rim...

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
ive got chain oil all over my rear wheel, ive got the blue with silver wheels, so it really noticable

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
chamade said:
No, I am not using a chain oiler.
Well, I went to check the bike after 4 hours and there isn't any new
oil on the rim. I am totally confused now, the rear brake works fine,
I will have to check its oil after I get back from work. Also checked
the engine oil and there's it's full.

I am thinking it might have been chain lube that somehow ended
up there.
There ought to be something else wet if something is leaking. Just to be sure, check all fluid levels. Brake fluid both front and rear reservoir, engine oil and engine coolant.
Also check to see if the breather hoses are routed properly behind the center stand pivot on the bottom right of the bike. Look for 3 hoses or 2 if you have Cali emission.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts