Sport Bikes banner

Oil level too high on new FZ6?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  fraggle1 
#1 ·
Hey guys, great forum. Just got my new FZ6 yesterday :banana . I checked the oil level and it is up past the flat part of the dipstick. Is this a cause for concern? Being a newbie means I have a lot to learn: riding, working on the bike, forum use etc. Please bear with me as I set out to discover this new found world of the FZ6 :bitchslap If you do suggest to let some oil out, please give me an idea of how much I should start with. Thanks, any help is much appreciated & I will try to limit my "searcheable" questions. :cheers

#2 · (Edited)
CheapBastard said:
Hey guys, great forum. Just got my new FZ6 yesterday :banana . I checked the oil level and it is up past the flat part of the dipstick. Is this a cause for concern? Being a newbie means I have a lot to learn: riding, working on the bike, forum use etc. Please bear with me as I set out to discover this new found world of the FZ6 :bitchslap If you do suggest to let some oil out, please give me an idea of how much I should start with. Thanks, any help is much appreciated & I will try to limit my "searcheable" questions. :cheers
Did you check it properly? Bike sitting level, remove stick, wipe clean, reinsert stick but do not thread into case, pull stick again and check level.

If its brand new and you have any questions or concerns take it straight back to the dealer and have them look at it.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

#3 ·
Thanks!

Heavy FZ6 said:
Did you check it properly? Bike sitting level, remove stick, wipe clean, reinsert stick but do not thread into case, pull stick again and check level.

Aha! :newbie Thats where I messed up, I did thread it all the back in before I checked it. I guess if the dealer had brought the manual when he delivered the bike I could have checked that 1st.

Thanks! ( One dumb newbie question down :dunno ? to go :dunno
:newbie

#4 ·
Heavy FZ6 said:

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
I always check it on the centerstand or while sitting on the bike. Never on the sidestand as this will skew your reading.

#5 ·
CheapBastard said:
Heavy FZ6 said:

Aha! :newbie Thats where I messed up, I did thread it all the back in before I checked it. I guess if the dealer had brought the manual when he delivered the bike I could have checked that 1st.

Thanks! ( One dumb newbie question down :dunno ? to go :dunno
:newbie
If the dealer didn't bring the owner's manual, tell them to either bring it to you, or mail it to you, or you can go get it.

You can also get the owner's manual on Yamaha's web site, and there's also a repair manual floating around this forum that you can download (100+ page PDF). Just do a search for it, and you'll be good to go on just about anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.