Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed oil build up around the top portion of my engine. This was apparent after first seeing oil on the left fairing. My guess its a gasket issue. Not sure what the root cause was so I pulled the tank and notice oil residue in the air box. Thinking this is way over my head so I'm posting to the group for suggestions or insight. Also I recently started hearing louder than normal sound coming from exhaust near the engine making the bike sound as though its has no muffler. Could this be related to oil leak? I'll post pics and video later.

Thanks in advance gang,

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I had the same issue on my Aprilia, this may work for you too. Oil sometimes gets into the airbox, so there is a tube that drains the oil back to the cylinder head. In my case that tube had come disconnected from the cylinder head and was leaking oil all over the side of the engine.

I don't have a ZZR so I don't know if it has this same setup, but just lift your gas tank and check the bottom of the airbox for loose hoses.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Oil level is likely overfilled, that would be why oil is in the airbox. Of course it could be mechanical issues, but go for the oil level first.

Oil leaks-well get out the flashlight and look closely;
valve cover gasket?

Exhuast noises;
Are all the exhuast stud nuts still on and tight?

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Oil in airbox is commonly caused by oil level or clogged oil filter backing up

Go for the simplest fixes first, check all tubes and change oil and filter. Scrub everything as clean as you can and then look for the oil to re-appear

·
Registered
300 Posts
My ZX14 would quickly fill the airbox with oil from if ever so slightly overfilled with oil. I confirmed this by revving the engine and checking the sight glass. It foamed up and more was found in the airbox.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had the same issue on my Aprilia, this may work for you too. Oil sometimes gets into the airbox, so there is a tube that drains the oil back to the cylinder head. In my case that tube had come disconnected from the cylinder head and was leaking oil all over the side of the engine.

I don't have a ZZR so I don't know if it has this same setup, but just lift your gas tank and check the bottom of the airbox for loose hoses.

I'll Definitely give that a shot and also check out the other Suggestions as well I'm hoping that is not the head gasket.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oil in airbox is commonly caused by oil level or clogged oil filter backing up

Go for the simplest fixes first, check all tubes and change oil and filter. Scrub everything as clean as you can and then look for the oil to re-appear
Yeah already drained oil but I did not change the oil filter. Yeah I know in the pull the fairings and the tank just to kind of get down there a bit better and also clean up. Thanks for the input

1 - 7 of 7 Posts