Sport Bikes banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 600 with about 1300 miles on her. I noticed last night that if I look at my K&N oil filter or even my drain plug I have a little bit of oil coming out of one and or both. The drain plug has the crush washer on it and is VERY tight and the K&N oil filter is about 1/3 of a turn past hand tight (I did put oil on the filter gasket so I don't think it's torn). When I saw this I went out today and got a new filter, crush washer, and oil and decided to change everything just to be safe. I did the change starte it up let it run for 10 minutes with no problems. I took her out for a 100mile ride come back and the same thing. Is this normal? I never had this with my Katana . . . . or well I never really checked.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
No, it's not normal. Are there 2 leaks or 1? If you can't tell, clean everything up and look carefully after riding. Obviously leaking oil will run down and back as you ride. You have an 05 600 what? Still under warranty? Take it in?

I have no experience with K&N filters, but there are torque specs on both the filter and drain plug. Did you follow them? Install the drain plug washer right side up? Just guessing but I'll bet it's the K&N not seating properly (pos).

·
second chimp in space
3,344 Posts
1/3 of a turn past hand tight seems loose. But then I only deal with those on my car and TLS (2 full turns on it..). Your owner's manual will tell you how tight it should be. Same with the drain plug.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts