Sport Bikes banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here's the problem.
My friend has a 2005 GSXR 1000, bought at the end of '04 I believe. Its got just over 3000 miles on it, but it only had 1800 at the beginning of this summer, I've been riding it since then and put another 1300mi on it (my bike was out of commission, as seen in a certain 'broken f4i thread' :p).
Anyway, at around 400 miles, and 13 months after purchase date (AKA out of warranty), he noticed that it was leaking a little oil. Not enough to lower the oil level, but just enough that every once in a while, one or two drops will land on the exhaust header and smell like burnt oil.

I think we've traced it back to this one spot near the front of the engine. It looks like the gasket that is suppose to be there, isn't.

He wants to either sell it, or turn it into a track bike, either way it needs to be fixed.

I thought about some of that leak-stop crap that you dump in the oil, but I doubt that would work and I hate to do that on a sportbike anyways. A leaky 1986 pontiac grand prix is one thing, a 1000cc superbike is different. :p

Is there any way to really fix this, short of tearing the engine apart and replacing the gasket? Has anyone else seen something like this on a bike straight from the factory? It's never been apart or wrecked or even abused, hell its hardly even broken it. I'm sure Suzuki would be zero help, since its 3 years out of warranty now, and our local suzuki dealer is a useless bunch of retards, I don't even trust them to put tires on.

·
needs another beer
2,885 Posts
if its not enough to lower the level i wouldn't worry about it. are you sure its coming from there and not from the filter thats right next door?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, its not coming from the filter. Everything below that gasket line is oily and dirty, you can tell thats where its coming from.

I know its not really a huge problem, but I don't think I would want to buy a bike with that issue, and he's not the type of person that would sell it without disclosing that.

Also if he wants to track it, not sure if it would pass tech with that leak, I guess if you cleaned it off before tech they wouldn't be able to tell, but it seems like a bad idea.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its 5-6" above the filter, unless we have some fancy gravity-defying oil, I don't think thats it :p
Also, the oil has been changed 2 or 3 times (once at the 600 mile break-in, and here in IA where it sits for 6 months every winter, we usually change them in the spring) so if it was a bad filter gasket the problem would have gone away. I've also checked the filter seat for anything that would have caused a bad seal.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
That's an '04, not an '05.

I know you don't think it's coming from the filter, but I'm almost positive that it is! The oil film gets blown around in the breeze and collects all kinds of dust and dirt. The areas you are pointing to are not oil passages. In fact, those case areas look just fine, if a little dirty.

I'll bet you a case of beer that it's coming from the filter seating area.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Funny, I thought it was an '05, its not my bike and I was too lazy to look on the plate and see exactly :p
I'll double-check the filter, the oil probably needs changed again anyways, so if I get time I'll do it this weekend.
If you look at the very bottom-left of the last picture, you can see part of a bolt head. It actually collects enough oil that it forms into drops and drips off that bolt, thats most of the reason I didn't think it was coming from the filter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts