Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any cross reference numbers for the oil filter for the FZ6 for Fram, Emgo or anything else?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
cornman53 said:
Does anyone have any cross reference numbers for the oil filter for the FZ6 for Fram, Emgo or anything else?
The fram is PH6017A, I bought at the local auto store.
Hope this helps.
 

·
Sportbike.net junkie
Joined
·
1,242 Posts
cornman53 said:
Does anyone have any cross reference numbers for the oil filter for the FZ6 for Fram, Emgo or anything else?

K&N 303. Its one of the best filters ever made. You probably know how hard it is to get the oil filter off so i suggest the k&n cause all of thier filters have a nut welded to the bottem of the filter. Just get a 1" socket and torque wrench and have away with it. Its also made from synthetic material so it flows easier and can withstand more pressure than most other filters. Its not cheap like the fram(2.99). It cost me 12.50 from my local auto parts store. The Yamaha one cost me around 10.00 so i stick with the k&n.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Squid Killer said:
Stick with the Yamaha oil filter. Others may fit on the same but operate at a different pressure.
The last 2 filters I bought from 2 different Yamaha Dealers were both Fram, now that makes me wonder.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,267 Posts
Squid Killer said:
Stick with the Yamaha oil filter. Others may fit on the same but operate at a different pressure.
What pressure does the OEM filter work at ( other than engine oil pressure)? There is no pressure relief valve in the filter so what is there regulate/affect pressure?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
Squid Killer said:
Stick with the Yamaha oil filter. Others may fit on the same but operate at a different pressure.

You must work at a Yamaha Dealership to make that remark, there is nothing wrong with the FRAMS, I have used them for many years on everything I have owned cars, boats, trucks and motorcycles, and NEVER had a problem with them.

"OEM is for wussies and those that know no better"

Skippy (Happily using the $2.68 frams in his FZ6)
 

·
Sportbike.net junkie
Joined
·
1,242 Posts
virtualt said:
You must work at a Yamaha Dealership to make that remark, there is nothing wrong with the FRAMS, I have used them for many years on everything I have owned cars, boats, trucks and motorcycles, and NEVER had a problem with them.

"OEM is for wussies and those that know no better"

Skippy (Happily using the $2.68 frams in his FZ6)

Wow what a slam. :grinbounc Your right though squid killer does work at a stealership. But he does have a lot of very good advise too.
 

·
Super Nibber
Joined
·
501 Posts
Asking which oil filter is better is like asking which oil is better -- everyone has their own opinions and theirs is the right one. I personally like wix oil filters, they are better than fram, stp, purolator, yamaha, and kandn all put together :grinbounc .

But basically its the same filter that fits an R6 if you need to cross it, since most auto parts places dont list the fz6 yet.

I also highly recommend getting the filter wrench which cups on the end of the filter, its about 6 dollars and an excellent investment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Installed a K&N 303c oil filter last week. With the 17mm nut attached to the top of the filter it makes it very easy to install and remove. It was a pain removing the stock filter (wasnt alot of space to use my filter wrench) I had to dent it with pliers to get a grip and twist it off. Plus the chrome K&N looks better.
 

Attachments

·
Sportbike.net junkie
Joined
·
1,242 Posts
ProvFZ6 said:
Installed a K&N 303c oil filter last week. With the 17mm nut attached to the top of the filter it makes it very easy to install and remove. It was a pain removing the stock filter (wasnt alot of space to use my filter wrench) I had to dent it with pliers to get a grip and twist it off. Plus the chrome K&N looks better.
You da man! how much was your chrome filter???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
kdk1899 said:
You da man! how much was your chrome filter???
$14.25 with the chrome finish. $12.75 for black.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,267 Posts
Squid Killer said:
The reason I say what I did is because Motorcycle Consumer News did a story on cheap motorcycle filters and found it was a bad idea to use non OEM. That was long before I ever work for Yamaha.
First off, I hate consumer mags in general. So let me see if I understand MCN on this, ANY filter sold at an auto parts store is cheap and "not a good idea" for a motorcycle. Who do they think makes the OEM filters?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,892 Posts
rennsport said:
So let me see if I understand MCN on this, ANY filter sold at an auto parts store is cheap and "not a good idea" for a motorcycle.
I didnt say anything about cheap. MCN picked a sportbike, bought all the filters that would fit on it including OEM and found that the bypas valve (to allow the oil to flow if the filter gets clogged) operates at different pressures according to the needs of the vehicle. A filter you buy at Wal Mart may screw on and seal to a FZ6 just fine but it was never designed for that bike.

Is saving a few bucks worth the risk of starving your engine of oil?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,267 Posts
Squid Killer said:
I didnt say anything about cheap.
Yes you did. here is your original comment:

"The reason I say what I did is because Motorcycle Consumer News did a story on cheap motorcycle filters and found it was a bad idea to use non OEM. That was long before I ever work for Yamaha."

my emphasis.

MCN picked a sportbike, bought all the filters that would fit on it including OEM and found that the bypas valve (to allow the oil to flow if the filter gets clogged) operates at different pressures according to the needs of the vehicle. A filter you buy at Wal Mart may screw on and seal to a FZ6 just fine but it was never designed for that bike.
The oil filter that I replaced and the OEM oil filter I bought did not have a relief valve in it. The FZ6 engine, however, has an internal oil pressure relief valve.

As long as I find an aftermarket filter that cross-references with the FZ6/R6 filter, what harm is there, even more so since their is no relief valve in the filter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,892 Posts
When I said cheap I meant the cost not the quality. I said that based on the main reason someone wouldnt buy OEM is that they cost two or three times more than others.

I did not know that about the FZ6 though. Thats cool and that takes away any concern I would have about pressure. BTW, why do you hate consumer mags?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,267 Posts
Squid Killer said:
When I said cheap I meant the cost not the quality. I said that based on the main reason someone wouldnt buy OEM is that they cost two or three times more than others.

I did not know that about the FZ6 though. Thats cool and that takes away any concern I would have about pressure. BTW, why do you hate consumer mags?
Consumer Reports is the worst. Consumer Reports is the worst at rating automobiles. They should stick to rating toasters and washing machines. To them if a car is not practical, gest great gas mileage and has enough room for a family of 5, it gets slammed.

I have never bought a car to be practical. I have bought a car due to indifference, but, that is another story. :)
 
1 - 20 of 66 Posts
Top