Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
mmmm FZ6 N(aked)
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long should it take to remove an oil filter?

I replaced my oil and filter yesterday, it took me and my neighbour about 2 hours to get the thing off!!

I had purchased the filter removal tool, all it would do was slip over the filter every time I went to turn it. I tried putting a layer of plastic then cloth then electrical tape between the tool and filter, all to no avail as it still slipped.

Then we tried putting a dent in the top corner of the filter to allow so leverage to get the thing off, all this did was cause the filter side wall to tear.

After removing all of the metal from around the side of the filter and all of the filter material inside we were left with the metal base.

It took about 30 mins of holding a screw driver on an angle in one of the smaller holes that are around the large central hole and hitting it with a hammer. Finally the thing budged, about 0.1mm at a time. finally after us both having several goes at it it begins to loosen up.

I tried to clean up around behind where the filter goes as much as possible to prevent the possibility of metal shards remaining in the system. There didnt seem to be anything left behind, but best to be careful I guess.

This is the first time I have tried to remove the oil filter, but I don't think this is normal. What could have caused the filter to seize like this? The last time it was changed it was done at the dealer where I purchased the motorcycle.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I finally went and bought a very small filter wrench. I had gotten very very tired of pounding a screw driver through the filter :rolleyes

·
mmmm FZ6 N(aked)
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WISPER said:
I finally went and bought a very small filter wrench. I had gotten very very tired of pounding a screw driver through the filter :rolleyes

I did have the tool, but it turned out to be useless as the filter was on way too tight.

I asked for the filter removal tool from the dealer, what I got was like a metal cup that sits over the end of the filter with a square hole in it for a socket wrench. However the thing just kept slipping.

hopefully it will be easier to undo next time

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Screwdriver works fine. Maybe you guys are tightening them too much? I take mine off by hand. Also remember to put a coat of oil on the gasket.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I always put oil on the gasket. Mine was tight as hell from the factory and I figured they'd just over tightened it. Put it on properly the first oil change, when it was time to come off.....Damn, tight as hell again, always the same.

So.. either you've got the strengh of 10 men (ten stronge men, not little namsy pamsys) or you've got itsy little hands. My main problem is getting a grip on the little bastard, no room at all.
Wait, you aren't one of the few chicks on here are you?? :grinbounc

·
Registered
676 Posts

Do yourself a favor and pick up several of these. You'll use the same 17mm wrench to spin this off that you use on your drain plug. I use them on everything in my garage. KN-303

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
ozfz6nguy said:
I replaced my oil and filter yesterday, it took me and my neighbour about 2 hours to get the thing off!!

This is the first time I have tried to remove the oil filter, but I don't think this is normal. What could have caused the filter to seize like this? The last time it was changed it was done at the dealer where I purchased the motorcycle.
Sounds like the dealer didn't put a coat of oil on the seal and then tightened it too tight. When you put on the new one be sure to get that coat of oil on the seal of the new filter and just tighten the filter by hand. I've found that Channel Lock pliers are pretty handy for removing difficult filters.

Attachments

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
04Fizzer said:
There's another type of filter wrench out there.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/picture_library/dir_36/car_portal_pic_18179.jpg something like that. It actually tighens as you apply pressure. I've heard they're better than the cap type wrenches.
Yeah, what he said. Here's a pic of the product. Got mine at Sears for about $12. Best thing out there for our bike. Shouldn't take more than 20-30 seconds to get the filter off.

Here's a past discussion on the topic as well: http://forums.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?postid=1806922#poststop

Attachments

·
how bout dem deadskins
3,235 Posts
thats sounds like a nightmare oilfilter.. my first i literally crushed the filter in my hands trying to pry it off..

·
Registered
317 Posts
if the filter wrench you got was slipping it was the wrong size. no doubt. mine was on f*cking tight, too, but there is no way it would slip around if it was the correct piece.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts