Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing my first oil chang before my initial service because i'm takin a trip from Pa to Sc. Using a ratchet it seems as though i stripped out the threads on the oil pan drain plug. I can see this happening if it was my 50th change but not the first. Anyone have similiar problem?

·
Registered
205 Posts
6er said:
I was doing my first oil chang before my initial service because i'm takin a trip from Pa to Sc. Using a ratchet it seems as though i stripped out the threads on the oil pan drain plug. I can see this happening if it was my 50th change but not the first. Anyone have similiar problem?
Stripped threads are normally caused by operator abuse, if you could convince a service department that is was leaking before you touched it then maybe, if not, I would suggest a helicoil and a big old chunk of humble pie.

Skippy

·
Registered
63 Posts
I used a torque wrench when I reinstalled the drain plug. The only problem I had was getting the drain plug loosened. Man was that thing in there tight!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the threads stripped out when i was removing the plug for the first time....using a ratchet and my arm is definitly not abuse ...... the threads are layin in the bolt threads ...

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
It doesn't take much to strip out an aluminum pan. I alway hold the ratched very close to the socket to remove the leverage that you get when pulling out at the handle. Not saying you pulled too hard....it could have been damaged at the factory. I've heard of a lot of complaints about stuff being too tight from it. Probably a tough sell to the dealer though.

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
6er said:
the threads stripped out when i was removing the plug for the first time....using a ratchet and my arm is definitly not abuse ...... the threads are layin in the bolt threads ...
I'd be pissed. Sounds like it was cross threaded by the factory. I'd raise total hell until somebody took care of it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
6er said:
man that sucks..i was worried about that when i did mine..that thing was very tight..i dont think this is your fault though..aluminum threads are just so damm delicate..did you do this with a warm engine or cold?

·
Registered
103 Posts
sparky8844 said:
man that sucks..i was worried about that when i did mine..that thing was very tight..i dont think this is your fault though..aluminum threads are just so damm delicate..did you do this with a warm engine or cold?
Good question? They say to warm the engine but what exactly is that? I just bought everything to change my oil this time, including the Chrome K&N, and didnt know if I should buy a new oil plug or not... Also I wasnt sure about how to measure exactly how much oil goes in. I know the manual says something like 3.3 quarts or something so I just bought 4 quarts.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hardy said:
Good question? They say to warm the engine but what exactly is that? I just bought everything to change my oil this time, including the Chrome K&N, and didnt know if I should buy a new oil plug or not... Also I wasnt sure about how to measure exactly how much oil goes in. I know the manual says something like 3.3 quarts or something so I just bought 4 quarts.
I wouldn't waste money on a new oil plug unless you are going to drill and wire the old one for track days and then have a new one for when you sell the bike.
The bolt is made out of stainless steel, and the threads on that will long out live the aluminum threads in the crankcase.

Skippy

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The engine was definitly warm. I had the manual right next to me. It being my first time changing the oil on this bike i took it step by step. Think there would be a note and how to carefully remove the oil drain plug or something to that affect.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My dealer just called and said that Yamaha WILL warranty it and i should have it back this firday. Whole new oil pan!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wouldn't think that I am the only one. My dealer didn't act like it was a know problem at all. He was actually a little surprised. I'll ask them directly when i pick it up... see if others have had thier FZ6ers in for same prob.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh ok ... i was thinking more along the lines that they would be shipped out in batches by region or something. But your probably right....

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
The bike is shipped dry so the dealer was the one who would have cross threaded or overtorqued the plug if that is in fact what happened. I just sweated through my first oil change tonight after reading this post. All went well, thank goodness. I know this has been covered, but I used a sweet chrome Hi-Flo filter that I got from a dealership. $9.95 which is significantly cheaper than the K&N and gets as good a rating. Doesn't have the wrench head on the end though. The number was the same as K&N (303c)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts