Sport Bikes banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I recently bought a 99 katana. My first bike i learned on was my neighbors nighthawk 250. Anyways, now that i got my own bike now, i dont know where to start. I was wondering where i can get an oil change. Do i take it to any dealerships?? Im guessing that would be way to expensinve. What do you guys take it to for an oil change?

I was also wondering where i can go to try on helmets. Im planning to try them on at a store and just buying them through the internet. I guess in a easier word,"Where can i go to try/buy good gear". Thanks fo helping out!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Most dealerships has a service department.. they will probably charge you $60 - $80 for an oil change. I changed my own oil without any problems at all. So to the parts section, tell them what you ride and they will get the oil and filter (probably $25). You will use 3 1/2 quarts of oil.. take you fairings off, put an oil pan under the bike and take off the bolt. This will drain your oil.. sit on your bike and sit it up straight so get the rest of the oil out. Remove the filter (put a rag under it because some oil will spill). Put some old oil on your figer and go around the seal of the new filter. Hand tighten your filter. Put new oil in and you're set.

Any place that sells helmets will let you try it on.. Most dealerships will have them too.. when you find the one you like, make a note of brand, model and size then go on the internet for cheaper deals. Try www.newenough.com for gear.. they have some GREAT prices.. check out the close out section.

Good luck!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Get yourself a good owners manual and do your own oil changes and basic repairs. It is not only cheaper but it can take a long time to get a bike into and out of a repair shop.
I used to think that I would go to the store try it on and then do the internet thing. But then I realized that the store needs my business to stay open and if I can get a decent price there then to buy there.
Do all your research on line for types and brands and do alot of asking.

Welcome to the biker world.....

Vic

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
NeWb said:
Hey guys! I recently bought a 99 katana. My first bike i learned on was my neighbors nighthawk 250. Anyways, now that i got my own bike now, i dont know where to start. I was wondering where i can get an oil change. Do i take it to any dealerships?? Im guessing that would be way to expensinve. What do you guys take it to for an oil change?
If you're mechanically inclined w/ a decent set of tools, do it yourself. It's a rewarding feeling doing it yourself. Plus you'll save $ on the labor on fairing removal and the lube/oil/filter job itself. Use a factory repair manual as reference material for torque specs and oil quantity.

I was also wondering where i can go to try on helmets. Im planning to try them on at a store and just buying them through the internet. I guess in a easier word,"Where can i go to try/buy good gear". Thanks fo helping out!
Go to your local stealership, maybe two or three of them to familarize yourself. I've had three helmets in my short motorcycling life and never had a problem w/ a dealer kicking tires. You might have to endure a torturous salesman's spiel on X helmet brand. HOWEVER, buy online. Much cheaper. Don't believe that crap they'll try to feed you on that "all i'net dealers sell old helmets". Completely bogus.

·
Go #214!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2,390 Posts
+1 for changing the oil yourself. It's real easy and requires only the most basic tools.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
another vote for changing the oil yourself, and almost any dealership will let you try on helmets

·
Registered
111 Posts
do it yourself, Big $ saver to spend on more gas or parts or a helmet for that matter.
and by the way, you dont have to put oil on the rubber gasket of the filter, biggest wive's tail I ever heard of

G

·
hayabluesa said:
and by the way, you dont have to put oil on the rubber gasket of the filter, biggest wive's tail I ever heard of
Ever see a dry oring grab and either tear, or roll out of its seat? Now all that nice fresh oil your pouring in is right back in the drain pan. Think of it as trying to slide dry tennis shoes across a gym floor. Lots of grabbing and not going anywhere. The oil is so the oring will slide around the mounting boss and get a complete seal with no problems.
Do what you want, but I'm just going with what I know.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
In the helmet end you do not have to go for top brand as your first helmet. After all remember if you obtain one two small or to large & later on find out then tough luck it is yours. Also you will be learning how to take care of your first helmet & the plastic visor. It is so eady to damage a helmet so why buy the best on the market, find it is to large & also damage it through misuse?

A few yrs ago at a special Arai meeting to show the dealers & salespeople HOW to fit customers properly with helemts they found that ovrer 75% had an Arai at least one size to big as their personal helmet. Proof that usually people like the easy fit & not the sung fit. YET pressure on the forehead & a bit on the back tells you it is two small OR it is the wrong shape & YES some are made for square or round headed people while others are made for people with ovalheads.

So you have a lot to learn in the field of helmet buying & fitting as well.

Last year on a bend some kid went screaming by me on his Yamaha R6, in his shorts with T-shirt tucked into the waist band so followed him to see what pace he held & how he was doing. I noted he was continually bringing up his left hand to push the helmet down, for at said 75 to 90mph the OVERSIZED helmet was lifting due to the wind.

Hope this helps you in the helmet end. So tip is not to costly a helmet at first & later on you will know how a helmet should fit & how to take care of it and THEN you can go for a better helmet next time with your knowledge. You see I use to be part owner of a m/c shop so I speark with some knowedge. Tack on the fact that I started wearing helmets,due to AMA & CMA rules, when into competition which I was for 42 yrs starting back in '47.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hey on a bike (generally) how often do you change the oil? 3000 like on a car?

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
have you taken the MSF class?

·
old member
13,079 Posts
What's the best helmet to wear while changing your oil? :eek:nfloor
Sorry, couldn't resist this time around.

Many owner's manuals suggest changing the filter every other oil change. To me, this doesn't sound good so I always change oil and filter together every 3500 or so. Your manual should have the final word, however.

·
Crash test dummy
138 Posts
On the katana get it on the center stand and remove the lower fairings to get to the drain plug easier. When you put the new filter on give it 2 full turns after the gasket makes contact with the mating surface. Takes me about 30 minutes and the Katana is one of the easier bikes out there to work on so it's not really worth taking to a dealer.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Do it yourself (as others have said).

Its simple, inexpensive, and a good learning experience.
Changing your own oil gives you a chance to get better acquainted with your bike - I prefer to know anything I ride/drive inside and out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts