Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, stupid little question, but I just got a bike about a week ago (01 ZX6R) and want to change the oil. I pretty much understand everything about how to, etc, but was wondering more of what type of oil should I use, since a few different types are listed, but what is recommended. Also as far as filters and buying the oil, is there any local stores that would carry it, or do I have to get it online or from the dealer. Can i pick up a filter at like autozone, napa, walmart, etc?

I know it's simple, but i'm just really not sure haha.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
418 Posts
Order all the stuff you need online if possible.... better deals.

·
Registered
323 Posts
be careful i whent to change the oil on my bike a week ago and the drain bolt was seized to the pan snapped out the bolt hole now i have to wait for my pan to come in and the old one to be welded shut and re tapped it sucks.

·
second chimp in space
3,344 Posts
Filter: online, or $10 at the dealer. probably won't find this at autozone and such, but you might get lucky.

Oil: Use the weight recommend in the manual (10w40?). Sometimes they'll give you a range you can use. You can use almost whatever you want, but I'd go with synthetic and non energy conserving (might be bad for clutch). I just get the 5 quart bottle of Mobil 1 15W50 full synthetic at walmart.

Wrench: get one of the exact size. Should be one in your bike's toolkit, though a socket and ratchet sure is nice.

·
Kawpuke Extraordinare!
1,148 Posts
I like Motul Semi synthetic myself. I have ran it for almost 5 years now in my ZX12R. As far as oil filters, I may be anal about it, but I only use the oem oil filter..

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
I still believe that a factory filter and oil is the best way to go. You have to be very care with synthetics because you make experience problems with your transmission. Bikes are different from cars in the fact that the same oil that is used to lubricate the engine is also used to lubricate your transmission. Slippage is an issue on some bikes with synthetic oils. I used good old Yamalube 10W-30, but I have upgraded to a Scott's stainless stell oil filter. They are re-usable/washabe andoffer superior flow and particle trapment.

·
second chimp in space
3,344 Posts
Slippage comes from the clutch, not the tranny. And it's from the energy conserving oil, not from synthetic. Synthetic is better BECAUSE of the tranny. That's because synthetic doesn't need as many additives to maintain its viscosity. And those additives get eaten alive by the gears in the tranny (long molecules that get cut in half by meshing gears).

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll give synthetic a go.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Many bikers have had excellent results from Shell Rotella T oil (or other heavy duty oils). I use 15W-40. I also use Fram oil filters, which can be found at just about any Walmart or auto parts store. I change my oil and filter every 3k miles or at the end of the riding season.

·
at the track
3,121 Posts
I use the cheapest 15w40 synthetic I can find, which happens to be Royal Purple, that purple dye just makes it look cool, and I use a Purolator PL14612 oil filter that I found at Advance Auto Parts for 5 bucks. Shit works good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts