Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering when you changed your oil? the owners manual says something crazy like 8000 miles or so. i think i might cut that in half it seems like an awful lot of miles for the oil to keep it viscosity. and also do you use the manufactures oil or something else?
 

·
old member
Joined
·
13,079 Posts
You'll get a million different replies to this one. 8k does sound like a bit long. I change my oil every 3-4k and use 10-40 m/c specific (usually Motul) dino oil. No problems so far after over 36k miles. Bike runs great!! Others will swear by synthetic. Just don't use oil with "friction reducers" if you have a wet clutch as it can cause slippage.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
30 Posts
My rule of thumb is every 3k. And don't be cheap on oil. Use the best synthetic oil you can afford.

Some people use cheap oil and change more often. Personally, I use good oil and change less often.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
519 Posts
if you ride hard change it sooner...(2-4k) if you ride easy you can go longer (over 4k) oils are designed to be good well over 3k miles
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
730 Posts
I've read (so it may be pure BS) synthetics can easily go to 8K miles before needing changed, but I won't do it to my bike or cars. 5K miles on synths is about as far as I go, but I like to redline my vehicles from time to time (every outing :) ). Synthetics give me and my driving style peace of mind.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
452 Posts
I change my oil (and oil filter) about every 3-4k miles, which (for me) ends up being about once a year (at the end of the riding season).

I used to use Yamalube when I could get it for a really good price. Now, I use Shell Rotella T... dino.
 

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
Joined
·
5,894 Posts
8000 miles??? Thats A LOT!!!

Heck, even my cage haves shorter service intervals, 7500 kms for oil (thats about 4600 miles!)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
730 Posts
Süsser Tod said:
8000 miles??? Thats A LOT!!!

Heck, even my cage haves shorter service intervals, 7500 kms for oil (thats about 4600 miles!)
But those recommendations are for Dino oil, not synthetics. And don't forget the mfrs. are covering their asses w/ shorter than necessary intervals on most maintenance.
 

·
Suzuki 3000GT
Joined
·
2,107 Posts
I'll be changing mine at 3,000 for the 2nd time. I use 10w-50.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
452 Posts
vuu16v said:
But those recommendations are for Dino oil, not synthetics. And don't forget the mfrs. are covering their asses w/ shorter than necessary intervals on most maintenance.
Actually, don't most owner's manuals recommend a mileage or time period (whichever comes first) for oil changes... something like 8,000 miles or 6 months?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
730 Posts
sjlee said:
Actually, don't most owner's manuals recommend a mileage or time period (whichever comes first) for oil changes... something like 8,000 miles or 6 months?
It depends on the car/mfr.. My wife's '02 Passat says 5K. I've heard 7.5K on lots of other cars, so it depends.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
i do mine around 2500 miles to 3000 miles with Fully syn oil with my bikes

my truck i go about 4k miles and use Royal Purple
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
452 Posts
vuu16v said:
It depends on the car/mfr.. My wife's '02 Passat says 5K. I've heard 7.5K on lots of other cars, so it depends.
I was just using those numbers as examples. My point was that in owner's manuals, I thought that they not only put a mileage, but also a frequency when the oil should be changed.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
730 Posts
sjlee said:
I was just using those numbers as examples. My point was that in owner's manuals, I thought that they not only put a mileage, but also a frequency when the oil should be changed.
Ah, didn't catch that in your post. I guess the mileage is in there for the little old lady who never gets out and drives, because oil breaks down from non-use as well.
 

·
SBN's Slowest Member
Joined
·
1,312 Posts
how many quarts of oil do yall put in your bikes? i've always used 4 quarts but my boy told me you only need 3.5 quarts. does it even matter??????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
452 Posts
jluu6r said:
how many quarts of oil do yall put in your bikes? i've always used 4 quarts but my boy told me you only need 3.5 quarts. does it even matter??????
I put about 2.5 quarts in when I do an oil filter change in addition to the oil change. It'll vary slightly from bike to bike. Just go with what's listed in your owner's manual.

Yes, it does matter how much oil you put in. Too little means that the bike won't have enough oil in it to keep the engine components properly lubed. Too much will cause too much pressure to build up in the engine, which will eventually damage it.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top