Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 929 and after a certan temp about 200 or so the oil light on the display comes on along with the red light next to the neutral light comes on as well. I think the red one is for heat but they always come on together. If im above 1700 or so rpm the go off, but at idle they turn on. I have amsoil synthetic in there now and im thinking that might have something to do with it. Any ideas anyone.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Try changing the oil filter. The Amsoil is high quality oil so I would discount that. It could be the pressure switch. You may want to change it or check it by removing switch and putting a gauge to confirm that there is pressure. Do not ride bike until problem is identified.

·
Registered
171 Posts
+1 on the clogged filter. You need to hook up a pressure gauge instead of the pressure switch and monitor oil pressure, if it's low, you have a lubrication problem, oil filter, oil pump, pressure spring, and worst case scenario, bearing failure.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where would I find a pressure checker and how much are we looking at. Im changing the oil this week and im almost positive the pump is fine. I think its either the oil or the sensor/gauge.. thanks

·
Registered
171 Posts
Well any mechanic's pressure gauge will do, take one that reads at least up to 60 psi, have a flexible braided hose and have provision for a 1/8 NPT fitting, check your pressure sender location, take it off and bring it over to make sure you can have the same threads. These things comes handy to troubleshoot Fuel injection problems, oil, etc. Some even have vacuum zone on them but usually don't read that far up.
Check fleabay or some tool store, may even borrow on from someone since you need it only once. Check for leaks and secure it well if you drive the bike, if it comes off or the hose blows, 0 psi of oil pressure !!, yikes.
Good luck. Hope you gets the high reading.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
It is not the oil. If you had water in the engine (not recomended) it would not effect the pressure as that is controled by the pressure releif valve. Change the filter as was said earlier and if that does not fix the problem check the actual pressure as was said earlier. You got good advice on the issue, use it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts