Sport Bikes banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, tried searching for this but could not find any topic mentioning oil additives. Couple of days ago a friend of mine told me that on the next oil change I should consider adding an oil additive based on ceramic nano particles. Allegedly these nano particles feel up the microscopic bumps in the metal thus reducing friction and making the engine run a lot smoother, lowering fuel consumption, accelerating better, extending engine life etc... There are some testimonials on the net where people claim that this works perfectly. If I'm not mistaken, FZ6 has a ceramic coating inside a cylinder so I'm not sure if additives would make any change or if maybe these are not recommended for this bike. Could someone with more experience and knowledge provide some info on this?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Oil additives are generally a bad idea on most motorcycles. The FZ6, like make others, has a wet clutch, meaning the same oil that runs through the engine, also soaks the clutch plates. If you add anything to reduce friction, it's going to get on the clutch, and you could be looking at a new clutch a LOT sooner than you'd like.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hm, that makes sense. I must admit that the fact that it has a wet clutch never crossed my mind while I was thinking about additives but it seems that this is the key. thanks for the quick answer man, really appreciate. I just want to take care of my fz the best I can (and learn something along the way ;) )..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts