Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
part of the problem
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to get an Ohlins front fork or Ohlins shock at cost from the manufacturer. Assuming I can't purchase both, which should I get?

I was leaning towards the rear shock. Any opinions?

Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Go for the rear shock and upgrade your stock forks with Öhlins springs and oils. Will give you a good front with decent expenses. The springs are quite cheap.

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
Defintiely go with the rear shock first. Ohlins does make drop in cartridges for the forks, but they are only about $600 leass than the complete forks. $2100 versus $1500. I bought my rear shock first and was amazed at the difference from stock. When I did the forks, the difference was again significant. The feel is quite impressive.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Actually you can get a set of springs from Öhlins for the RR for 113 euros (2004 price) what makes around 140 US. + the oil.

Don't know what the prices are in the US.

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
Yes the springs alone aren't too bad. I was thinking of the complete drop in cartridge versus the whole fork setup. The springs do make a noticeable improvement and are almost a necessity if you go with an Ohlin's rear shock. Their springs are so much better than OEM you will notice the difference immediately.

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
Forgive my ignorance... but I read all the time about Ohlin's and how awesome they are and how they dramaticly change the suspension of the bike for the better. What is sooo great about ohlins. (this is not a flame post, but an honest question,)

Thanks,

-Matt

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
I will simply stick to my impressions and some basic facts. First, like many aftermarket accessories, the parts that make up the whole are simply better quality. And Ohlin's suspension systems are absolutley top notch in this respect. Once you see them and hold them you will understand. As for real world riding. First and foremeost my bike is more stable around corners, especially at moderate to high speeds. The feedback is immediate and very precise. Once it is dialed in, you can accurately predict how your bike will handle road imperfections as well as physical forces. The shock action is much quicker without being harsh- able to handle much greater forces with ease than the stock Soqi shock. The forks are basically more accurate. Sorry for the imprecise term, but that is how it feels to me. Kind of like they behave how you would think they should behave for a given bump or dip or turn at 50mph, rather than skittish and unpredictable. I think that is the biggest reason race team predominantly use Ohlin's. Better adjustability and very smooth, accurate reproduction of the road surface.

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
Thanks for hte explanation... For purely street use... would you say that they are worth it...

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
That is a tough question. The forks are $2200 and the shock is $900, so it is very expensive. In many ways I think it is more important to have the best suspension on the street rather than the track because the street is where all the imperfections are. The tracks are generally smooth and predictable. A better alternative is the shock and front fork spring replacement. But if $3200 is do-able for you, then I think they are worth every penny. Remember too, it will add a lot of value to your trade or sale.

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
That's interesting.... Usually aftermarket parts lower the value of resale. I think that says a lot about the quality of the product. I am going to look in to getting the rear shock. Any vendor better than another?

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
It may add value, but surely not the complete cost of the suspension purchase. Better off selling separately, maybe.

I love my Ohlins shock! So much better than the stock junk. Never even have to think about rear suspension issues any more.
Now, my front forks get all my attention, and they'll be upgraded soon.

If you're getting these pieces at cost from the manufacturer, you're almost better off getting the really pricey complete front forks first. Yummy!
Then get the less expensive shock later. This is just based on cost savings, not value of importance.

Penske is another great option, but for the sake of this thread get whatever choice of Ohlins you can get and enjoy the results.

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
hardracing.com is a fantastic site. They will also match any lower price you find. They also have an incentive program for repeat buyers, up to around 6%. And I didn't imply that I expected to get the whole $3200 back on resale. I'm not naive. I bought it first and foremost for the performance benefit I will get out of it. How much comes back on resale is not really an issue, just an added bonus. As far as resale equating to aftermarket parts quality, no connection at all. Anyone who has ridden Ohlin's will tell you that it is night and day over stock. Why else does 99% of all race teams use it? Stock is stock and made that way to keep the cost down. Doesn't mean it is bad, but it is not in the same league as Showa race gear or Ohlin's. The rear shock in my opinion is a bargain. The benfit is so apparent once you ride it, you'll get one with every bike you ever own.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts