Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I show my new/used 500R to a guy at work.

He takes one look at the forks and says that they are bent! Ack! The fender that runs over the front tire is off center to the left.

My question - how dangerous is this condition?

I've put about 200 miles on the bike over the weekend doing both city and highway driving. It doesn't seem major but am I taking a serious risk ??

Crap!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After checking the fork tubes again last night, I'm not convinced they are bent.

But I do believe the wheel is out of alignment. Basically when I ride down the highway I have to have the handlebars slightly left in order to stay straight. But there is no leaking oil at the seals and no shimmy at speed. Front brakes seem to grab well too.

The mechanic at the place where I bought the bike isn't in until tomorrow so I'm not doing anything until I talk to him. We're getting rain from the hurricane for the next few days anyway.

·
Wish I were a Leesta too
2,774 Posts
your forks might just be twisted in the triple trees. loosen the bolts that hold the forks in, hold the front wheel between your knees and straighten the handle bars to the wheel then retighten the bolts. easy stuff. they can get that way if someone hit a curb or something. if they are bent, there's a complete front wheel, rotor, caliper and forks from a 2002 bike for sale on eBay right now. its only up to $20 + $40 shipping. there's also a few different sets of just the forks on there for very cheap. don't get too worried. its an easy and cheap fix.

Bobby

1 - 4 of 4 Posts