Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just wondering in the case of a used bike.....
Is it hard to determine if the owner has tinkered with the odometer?

What are the common things to look for?

thanks,
Mutsu

·
Registered
200 Posts
You can't really determine because on older bikes you can just buy another gauge cluster and the miles are reset.

·
SBN Rookie ;-)
686 Posts
^Yeh, it can be hard to tell because they can just swap them.

One thing i've found is, if they've been repaired, especially at the front, beware. Ive seen a ZX6 with supposedly similar k's to mine but it looked
F%#d by comparison.

If you are looking at bikes and unsure of the milage try to look at the bike overall. look for wear marks, try the clutch, gear box etc etc. Generally the condition of the bike gives a good clue as to how much work its done.

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
Not sure, but Carfax might be able to give mileage on everytime the bike has been registered. Everytime it is tagged/registered the odometer reading is on the title as well as the previous title number. Cross reference the old title number and check the mileage on it and see if there is a large descrpency on it. A buddy of mine had a Ninja with a damaged gauge cluster, he found one on eBay and bought it. When it got to him the mileage was less than what was on the old and he put it on. Any future owner would think it has less miles than it really does. I couldn't agree with the ethics part of it but not sure who he sold it to.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
Before digital you could rool back the odometer by hooking a drill to the speedo cable and running it in reverse. Not to mention my speedo stoped working last year and the odometer stoped with it. It has had the same millage for 2 years now. It is hard to tell. If they did all the work to it them on there own then there will be no documentaion on the millage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts