Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just saw this article on the web. Florida tried a 5 year "helmet optional" law.. and obviously, injuries went up.. Read on..

http://washingtontimes.com/upi/20050808-094745-8647r.htm

Fla. deaths up since helmet law revoked
Aug. 8, 2005 at 10:53AM
Motorcyclist deaths have nearly doubled and medical costs have soared in Florida five years since the state government made helmet use optional.
In a survey by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, in the three years after the optional helmet law took effect, the number of fatal motorcycle accidents increased more than 81 percent -- compared with a 48 percent increase nationally.
"The numbers are pretty compelling that Florida has paid a high price," Rae Tyson, a spokesman for the federal agency told the Miami Herald
The study said in the 30 months after the helmet law was lifted, 4,986 riders were admitted to hospitals -- 40 percent more than the 3,567 admissions during the 30 months before the law was changed. Head-injury admissions were up 80 percent and costs charged to hospitals for motorcyclists with head, brain or skull injuries more than doubled from $21 million to $50 million.
Florida Gov. Jeb Bush said he was compelled to sign the helmet law repeal because legislators had rolled it into a larger transportation package. A Bush spokesman declined comment because his office hadn't yet seen the study.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I wonder how much the motorcycling population has also increased over that time. More cyclists unfortuantely mean more accidents. Same with cars.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I do alot of stupid shit out there but I will never understand why anyone would ride without at least a helmet. I guess if you're dumb enough to ride without it then you dont have much to protect in your head anyway. :lao

·
Registered
791 Posts
GixxerJRG said:
I do alot of stupid shit out there but I will never understand why anyone would ride without at least a helmet. I guess if you're dumb enough to ride without it then you dont have much to protect in your head anyway. :lao

I'll tell you why. while i was in FL last i spotted a bunch of bikers without helmets. ONLY harley guys had no helmets. Basically the want to be and look COOL/badass, plain and simple. Sad part about it I remember these 2 bikers. 1 with a girl riding bitch. Traffic was thick on this free way. They had no helmets & no armour. They were riding double up AND tailgating. How stupid can u be to be on a bike without gear and then ride on a cars bumper in thick traffic AND all this with ur buddy right next to u so if something did happen they'd have no hwere to go but into the car.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
SnookayDCC said:
I'll tell you why. while i was in FL last i spotted a bunch of bikers without helmets. ONLY harley guys had no helmets. Basically the want to be and look COOL/badass, plain and simple. Sad part about it I remember these 2 bikers. 1 with a girl riding bitch. Traffic was thick on this free way. They had no helmets & no armour. They were riding double up AND tailgating. How stupid can u be to be on a bike without gear and then ride on a cars bumper in thick traffic AND all this with ur buddy right next to u so if something did happen they'd have no hwere to go but into the car.
Sounds like u didnt spend too much time in FL...its not just the HD riders it sportbike riders too. You see more of them "cruising" the beach than you see anything else. Not to single out a paticular group, its pretty much an even playing field in FL they dont wear their helmets because they dont have to different people do it for different reasons.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
i see people going crazy w/o helmets all the time, shorts and t-shirts are the main choice of clothing for riding here in pinellas county FL. out of the 50-60 motorcycles i see a day, only about 20 have on helmets, and absolutely none have anything more than jeans and a long sleeve shirt on. hell, even i ride in shorts and a t-shirt, its wayyyy to hot for anything else, but i always have a helmet no matter what!

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
WOW. that is.. who in the government and in their right mind says "hey, lets try take away our helmet law, just to see what happens... yeah...." 5 years later, "okay I think that's enough." -_-

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
i think we need an offical wear your gear or you're a dumbass thread...

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
Before I go to bed... here is my comment....

I had a Hardley guy a few weeks ago say to me, that he loved getting in to a state where he didn't have to wear a helmet because " I would rather die than see my bike after I wreck it. "

The sad thing is, that is the second time that I have heard that response from a Hardley guy. Two different guys, two different circles, same comments. Do the Hardley dealers promote this shit? I would think that a repeat customer is the ultimate goal.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The only theory behind not wearing a helmet that I can *almost* understand is the guys who wear absolutely no gear at all that would rather die from head trauma than live disabled. These are the "rather burn out quick than fade away" guys. I'd rather not be disabled either, but I'd take losing a leg or an arm over having my wife change my diapers and wipe drool off of my chin whenever she came to visit me in the long-term care facility.

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
Jazzzzz said:
I'd rather not be disabled either, but I'd take losing a leg or an arm over having my wife change my diapers and wipe drool off of my chin whenever she came to visit me in the long-term care facility.
you're assuming she would...... :eek:nfloor

·
Registered
229 Posts
badgixxer said:
you're assuming she would...... :eek:nfloor
I'd prefer that she didn't, but she's a good woman and would probably feel guilty. Of couse, I say these things and for all I know she could be banging some guy at work, but I tend to think positively about my spouse. :cheers

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
badgixxer said:
i think we need an offical wear your gear or you're a dumbass thread...

hay.. I resemble that remark... :pisson They did that 40 years ago here trying to unsuccessfully off me.... even a buck:thirty over the bars nasty didnt get rid of meh.... I'm like a bad penny I just keep comin back... :idea :nuts :grinbounc

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
TTsixxer said:
Even thought he motorcyclist population *may" have increased, still those numbers are big enough to prove that non helmet wearing riders are killing themselves at a alarming rate.
Lets say hypothetically the motorcyclist population in FLA has nearly doubled over the past 5 years (which is more than plausible), then the number of deaths would also nearly double staying proportionate to the pop growth. If that was the case, maybe some money spent on awareness or crackdown on cyclists riding w/o health insurance making the state float the bill which IMO would be a better dollar spent.

It's the state dollars that goes toward carelessness that gets my goat. I ride with a helmet always, but I think you should have the choice.

I don't like to see riders go down either, but if you choose to not wear a helmet, you are also choosing to take a chance of loosing you life even more if something does happen.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
I'm not convinced that helmet laws really do all that much good. Here in MA we have a helmet law, but it's incredible how many harley-type folks I see riding with novelty beanies; not even DOT-approved halfs. The cops apparently just don't bother.

I live in northern MA, and ride up into New Hampshire alot. As soon as folks cross the border, off comes the helmet. Sportbikes, cruisers, doesn't matter. None of them wear helmets.

I wear my full face 100% of the time, no exceptions, no matter what state I'm in. I think it's absolutely retarded to ride without, but plenty of non-riders think that motorcycling itself is retarded, period.

·
Official E-Thug
1,689 Posts
To read a couple paragraphs of blind journalism with some "statistics" and assume that is the way things are is ridiculous.

As I (would hope) we all know, statistics can be molded to fit whatever you want them to fit. The fact is more people are on bikes than ever before and more stupid people are on bikes than ever before. Of course injuries woudl increase.

The government already regulates waaaaaay too much of our lives and even though I wear my helmet all the time, and point and laugh at those that dont, I would rather have the choice than have the government telling me what to do!

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
hanglowejohnson said:
The government already regulates waaaaaay too much of our lives and even though I wear my helmet all the time, and point and laugh at those that dont, I would rather have the choice than have the government telling me what to do!
+1

If somebody else does not think the contents of their head is not worth protecting, who am I to argue? And I don't want the government being in the business of protecting people from themselves.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts