Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
well the test for you temps is very easy. i never read the book and went in there and passed, only had 2 or wrong. I'm going for my license test on july 5th out in platteville. It's very hard to find an opening around the milwaukee area. or any big city for that matter.

i'd assume the road test can't be that hard, especially with previous riding experience.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
scubacross said:
I am new to this forum and thought I would pop in and get some opinions.

Like many people, I have ridden many bikes prior to my interest in purchasing a sportbike. I used to race motorcross and ride for about 3-4 years, but it has been probably 4 years since I have ridden a lot. I am looking at purchasing a newer sportbike but still need my WI motorcycle license.

Should I even bother with the WWTC course for $105+? I would also have to wait until almost August to even get in! I was thinking of saving some cash and simply studying up for the written test, and then taking the actual road test.

What is all involved in simply getting your licence w/o taking the MSF courses and what would you recommend to someone in my shoes?

Thanks!
Steve (also looking for newer 600cc bike :beer )
I have a 2005 Yamaha R6 with 1000 miles on it for sale for $6100...the catch...its pretty much in perfect condition except it has paint overspray on it....other than that...the bike is perfect. Someone with a little time could definetly clean this up and have themselves basically a new bike for alot less than buying a new one.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
incognito0160 said:
It's very hard to find an opening around the milwaukee area. or any big city for that matter.

i'd assume the road test can't be that hard, especially with previous riding experience.

I took my test at the DMV center in the "hood", I got in right away and passed with flying colors...now this was many years ago...but you might want to try a DMV center with low volume for cycle tests.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I found the MSF course to be rather boring, but I guess it could be used to brush up, especially with your long blank. It is much, much easier than what I had to go through to get my license in Japan, and frankly, it scares me a little to see some of those that passed.

I wish the course accomodated the non-newbie a little better, prehaps with optional harder excersizes. It is kind of funny, but when the instructors were yelling at everybody to speed up, one of them came to me and told me to "slow down so you don't intimidate the 'lesser skilled'". Thing is, I'm not 'that' good, and I know I have much to learn, but I complied with good nature.

I have no idea of your skill level, but if I were in your shoes, I'd probably spend the money on a track day or a more advanced motorcycle class.

my 2c

·
The American Stig!
317 Posts
I'll say it again and again... TAKE THE MSF!!! WWTC isnt the only one offering it. check out *gasp* ABATE. They sponsor many of them, and you can usually get in pretty easy.

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
Sportrods said:
I'll say it again and again... TAKE THE MSF!!!
+1!

You may not need it, but in the end you'll be happier you took it. Plus when you graduate the class, they give you your motorcycle license.

·
Jerk
990 Posts
I've been on temps for two years now....I should look into getting mine too. Hmm, yea I just checked and mine def expired in April....time to get another one.

Tom.

·
That's Mrs. Hawker 2U!
5,293 Posts
MSF is the way to go...I have heard the DMV test is near impossible the first couple of times...but that could be urban legend for all I know. I just know I passed my test, took my slip in to DMV and said "I'd like an "M" on my license please!!!" Yeah, the guy laughed at me, but it was a piece of cake....

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
First off, I am not suggesting you don't take the MSF!

I just recently took it. I've been riding for a better part of 16 years now. The only reason why I took it is because it was free through my HRCA membership. Most of the class was, can I say "boring". The road course was fun plus the instructors pretty much waved me on at the end of each exercise and/or gave any suggestions on how to apply the exercises to riding my style of bike. Plus one of my instructors was a Learning Curves instructor so we talked alot about this and that.

If I were you, I would get the book, read it, and take your permit test. That's exactly what I did all those years ago. I got my permit a day after I got my drivers license and then had to wait the manditory one month before taking the road test. Besides feeling weird wearing the reflective vest and ear piece, the road test is a piece of cake (a least 14 years ago it was for me).

Unfortunately, most insurance companies (at least in WI) don't give you a discount for the MSF certificate. I know that Progressive, American Family, and State Farm don't. However with the rates that I get from State Farm I don't have anything to complain about. When you get your bike, let me know and then I will get you in contact with the State Farm agent most of us here go through.

Do yourself a favor (if you haven't already), get some good gear. I've just been sick this week of all the people I've seen riding with just a shirt and shorts (or no shirt at all). Crashing hurts...I know!

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
dorao said:
I wish the course accomodated the non-newbie a little better, prehaps with optional harder excersizes. It is kind of funny, but when the instructors were yelling at everybody to speed up, one of them came to me and told me to "slow down so you don't intimidate the 'lesser skilled'". Thing is, I'm not 'that' good, and I know I have much to learn, but I complied with good nature.
The beginner class is for someone with no or little experience. Alot of places offer intermediate and experienced course where you ride your own bike. WCTC offers the intermediate class occassionally.

I was like you...the instructors were yelling at everybody to speed up, but they told me (and 1 or 2 others) a few times to slow down. I'm sorry I must have been going faster than the 15-18 mph they kept on telling us to go :eek:nfloor

·
Registered
832 Posts
ok if you go to the DMV only you take the written test and i believe 2 weeks later you take the road test(if you get in). Take a smaller bike and wear all your gear and do everything like you should like putting both feet down at a stop, leaving it in 1st gear turn your head so they can see you looking through your mirriors and corners etc.

If you take the MFS course you go for 3 weekends take the test through them (written -this one you have to take but it is different the the DMV, and then the riding test). After you pass those you go to DMV take the written, when you pass that you go up and get the endorsement. no road test needed. either way your going to take the DMV written test just up to you as when you want to take it. I took the MFS course glads I did either way good luck

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
sexyicecold said:
So Brian, did you pass? :neener
14 years ago

permit test = pass
road test = pass

Last month

MSF = pass

August 2003

"No Parking Anytime" sign in Waterville = failed